• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laser eye surgery (1 Viewer)

Jay23

Not sure where to post this but in my book eyes are rather important nature study equipment............

Anybody out there had experience of laser eye surgery? Optical equipment and glasses do not go well together and add a bit of tropical heat and you have steaming up, sweat smears and other general unpleasantness.

The answer? LES of course except that I'm concerned ( make that s**t scared) about having a surgical procedure performed on my eyes - I've only got two, even if they are a bit ropey.

So, is it value for money? Does it hurt? Most important, does it improve your birding?

Comments please.

Chris

My partner had her eyes lasered about 2 1/2 years ago and she is extremely happy with the results - no problems at all (rapidly touches nearest bit of wood).
She hated wearing glasses and now has no need to mess about with contact lenses etc.
Her vision is now very good and even the predicted need for reading glasses has not materialized yet.

Value for money? Definitely. 30 months (and counting) without the expense of contact lenses and all the associated kit is a decent trade off for a start but the biggest benefit is in quality of life.
Does it hurt? Yes, certainly for the first day or so, but they will give you eyedrops to alleviate that and the next day you should be fine.
Does it improve your birding? My partner is really only a casual birder but she certainly finds it easier and more rewarding using bins or looking through my scope now. If you wear glasses now then I'm sure birding without would be greatly improved.

Good luck
Nick

I ditto exactly what Nick said, my OH has had similarly brilliant results with LES. She got the slower-recovery procedure (can´t remember why there are two), but the results are phenomenal, she formerly was incredibly short-sighted and needed glasses all the time. I´m thinking of getting it done myself....I don´t really need it, my eyes arent´that bad, but I do like to wear my glasses when birding, sometimes you just have to scan with the naked eye, like in woodland....but I hate having to switch between glasses and bins. I have experimented with using small round-frame glasses (as per advice in some Bill Oddie book), and that helps, but maybe LES would be a better solution. In case you´re nervous, I know about 14 people who´ve had it done, none with ill-effects, except for dry eyeballs and glare for a few days. Best of Luck!

Laser eye surgery has quite a high success rate, approximately 90% of people achieve 6/12 (20/40) or better vision, normal vision being 6/6 (20/20), depending upon the technique used. There are currently 3 procedures, PK, Lasik and Lasek. PK is the oldest and is usually performed one eye at a time due to the lengthy healing time, whilst Lasik and Lasek can be done for both eyes at the same time as the healing time is much shorter.
All the techniques work best with the low to moderate short-sighted prescription, that doesn't have large amounts of astigmmatism. Long sighted prescritions are much harder to get right so a lot of clinics don't touch them.
High amounts of short sightedness, over -8.00D, could benefit from clear lens extraction, where the lens within the eye is removed and replaced with a small plastic implant lens.
There are now 'contact lenses' that are inserted into the front chamber of the eye and stay in situ indefinitely. These are suitable for both long and short-sighted prescriptions.

Laser eye surgery has quite a high success rate, approximately 90% of people achieve 6/12 (20/40) or better vision, normal vision being 6/6 (20/20), depending upon the technique used. There are currently 3 procedures, PK, Lasik and Lasek. PK is the oldest and is usually performed one eye at a time due to the lengthy healing time, whilst Lasik and Lasek can be done for both eyes at the same time as the healing time is much shorter.
All the techniques work best with the low to moderate short-sighted prescription, that doesn't have large amounts of astigmmatism. Long sighted prescritions are much harder to get right so a lot of clinics don't touch them.
High amounts of short sightedness, over -8.00D, could benefit from clear lens extraction, where the lens within the eye is removed and replaced with a small plastic implant lens.
There are now 'contact lenses' that are inserted into the front chamber of the eye and stay in situ indefinitely. These are suitable for both long and short-sighted prescriptions.
yeh, i had lens implant in my one usable eye, no pain took 20mins .

It seems most people are quite happy with the results of Lasik. I am considering it myself after yet another non-birding friend had it done and won't stop raving about it. So the following is not meant to be scary, but just a question for birders.

Can any birders comment about the purported loss of "contrast sensitivity" or loss of "crispness" from Lasik surgery? I found the following quote and other similar warnings in reading about Lasik on the net. This is not a rare complication, but a normal, and very subtle, result of the surgery according to the paragraph below, which is taken from a website advocating the surgery.

Crispness of Vision

Patients need to understand that, for many people, 20/20 vision after LASIK can be different from 20/20 vision with contact lenses before LASIK, especially gas permeable contact lenses. The images seen through eyes treated by LASIK are often described as not being as "crisp" as those seen through glasses. This condition, referred to in ophthalmic literature as "loss of contrast sensitivity," will not affect your acuity as it is measured on an eye chart, but the visual experience is different enough that a new term has been coined: LASIK 20/20. While the majority of patients do adjust to this change following LASIK, patients who perform fine detail work (artists, architects, draftsmen) should be sure to carefully weigh the benefits LASIK can afford against the potential loss of contrast sensitivity.
-- from http://www.eyesurgeryeducation.com/Expectations.html

We birders do "fine detail work." So I am wondering if any serious birders who really notice the quality of their vision before and after the surgery can comment on this.
Let me repeat, I am not trying to scare anyone. I will probably have the surgery done myself even if there is a very slight loss of contrast expected. Noone I know who has had the surgery has complained about this or even noticed it. But they are not birders. So I am just curious if any birders have noticed any loss of crispness and loss of contrast after Lasik.

Last edited:
There is another thread about this somewhere on BF which I will try to find which includes some scare stories and bad press associated with the newer procedures.

I seem to remember that PK surgery was approved only after some lengthy medical testing whereas Lasik etc has not had the track run so to speak and some medical experts have reservations.

Also Which did an article about it with some bad experiences. Apparently in America you can find out the success rate and number of procedures for indiivdual surgeons whereas here in the UK unless you ask and try and get the info it's pot luck.

Here is the other thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=5466&highlight=laser+surgery

I wear contacts but did think about surgery (when I had the money) but now even if I could afford it I think I'd want to go to America to have it done though it's a big decision...

Last edited:
My wife had Lasik treatment and it was an absolute revelation for her. She is now a one woman advertisement for the procedure and is constantly advocating that friends get it done. It has completely changed her ability to enjoy certain aspects of life - to hear her describe it it really does sound like a miracle. I'm not sure how it works there but here in the US it can still be a fairly expensive treatment but it is best to really research your surgeon and choose the best one rather than do it on pricing - which can vary greatly (my guess is the NHS won't do it there right and you'd have to go private?) It's amazing to me how many people still don't get this done out here - I guess one or two horror stories involving ones sight is enough to give some people second thoughts though.

Luke

As a birder I would not dream of somebody messing about with my eyes.Glasses or contact lens,they both well enough.

POP

The greatest thing that ever happened to me was a bad case of cataracts in my late 50's. I was down to 20-400 vision. I didn't have a lot of choice, I had to have something done or remain legally blind for the rest of my days. I had micro surgery (where they cut out the old natural lens and replace it with plastic.) I had the first eye done, took about an hour, wore a bandage over it for about 24 hours, removed the bandage and had close to 20/20 vision in that one eye. No pain, no strain. They normally want you to wait 3 or 4 months before they do the other eye. I insisted that they go ahead and do the second eye, they still made me wait a month but I now after over 12 years I have 20/20 vision and bird with the best of them.

Jaeger near Chicago

The Optimist's Constant: Birds have wings, and no one has told them when or where they should be.

The Pessimist's Corollary: When birds use their wings, your timing or location will be wrong.

Last edited:
The greatest thing that ever happened to me was a bad case of cataracts in my late 50's. I was down to 20-400 vision. I didn't have a lot of choice, I had to have something done or remain legally blind for the rest of my days. I had micro surgery (where they cut out the old natural lens and replace it with plastic.) I had the first eye done, took about an hour, wore a bandage over it for about 24 hours, removed the bandage and had close to 20/20 vision in that one eye. No pain, no strain. They normally want you to wait 3 or 4 months before they do the other eye. I insisted that they go ahead and do the second eye, they still made me wait a month but I now after over 12 years I have 20/20 vision and bird with the best of them.

Jaeger near Chicago

The Optimist's Constant: Birds have wings, and no one has told them when or where they should be.

The Pessimist's Corollary: When birds use their wings, your timing or location will be wrong.

Hi Jaeger

I have got to admit I have had to have the same treatment as you have had here. It had to be done as a necessity (laser treatment is done through choice and lifestyle)

I have been shortsighted (since 10 years old), and now in the last year have near sightnesses too (aging process her at play) on top of having cataracts now :-C

I have been unlucky to have been told I have cataracts in both my eyes seven years ago (it was genetics more than anything) It was not through diabetes either. I am now 49 years old.
What I have been told of you have cataracts in one eye, you will have it in the other eye too.

The cataracts that I have are unusual, as they are growing from the outside of the lens towards the middle of the lens in my eye (not the central point of the eye, so that makes then slower to ripen)

Anyway, the vision in my left eye took a nose dive for the worst. So, in a short amount of time my sight became bad in this eye to the point that it started to affect my employment (I never confided to anyone at work, I had this problem as I felt it would put me in bad stead).

Having said all of this, I had my cataract removed (NHS) in my left eye last June, and the operation was a success. Now my vision in this eye is better than it ever has been. The hospital decided to lessen my shortsightness in my left eye, and now my line of vision is great from this eye.

The operation took 20 mins, I was told to go home and it meant some discomfort for the first night at home. I had to use eye drops for a month then all was fine again.

If you have an operation like this you cannot wear contact lenses for 3 months, as your eye needs time to recover. I wear contact lenses a lot.

The only thing that all of this procedure (in my case) will be repeated in the near future in my right eye (at least I know what to expect)

Another thing I have noticed with cataracts that if you use bins or a telescope there is always a solid black dot in the middle of the lens you are looking from. Can anyone explain why this is?
It is a bit of a hindrance if you are trying to look at a bird to have a black dot in front of your vision as an added bonus? It cramps your style and enjoyment of seeing animals close up.

Anyway I am pleased with the result that is the main thing.

Laser Treatment - I am all for that too, and feel if it helps the situation with inconvience with glasses, and contact lenses so much the better

Peewit

I don't understand about your "black dot." I've had successful cataract surgery on both eyes and do not experience this phenomen you describe.
Bob

I don't understand about your "black dot." I've had successful cataract surgery on both eyes and do not experience this phenomen you describe.
Bob

Hi Ceasar

Thank you for your reply

The black dot was very apparent just before my operation on my left eye, so it is alright now. Left eye has never been better.

My unoperated right eye has the start of the same black dot, (as the cataract is still there but not ripened enough for an operation). I think I will push for it to be done in advance though, as it is very inconvenient to have sight distortion at any time.

Once the right eye is operated on the dot will disappear again.

So the dot is around while the cataract is still in my eye. It is just strange how the dot is there?

Oddity of nature of something like that, clash of lenses :eek!:

Peewit

I had lasik and can only recommend it. Birding in the sweaty tropics wearing glasses or contacts was a nightmare, especially in Monteverde where I lived. The extremely thin "pelo de gato" rain was a real p.... in the ....s. Now all that is gone :t:

I had lasik and can only recommend it. Birding in the sweaty tropics wearing glasses or contacts was a nightmare, especially in Monteverde where I lived. The extremely thin "pelo de gato" rain was a real p.... in the ....s. Now all that is gone :t:

Hi Motmot

I know what you mean with glasses and lenses - so true. Yes, I agree that glasses/lenses are a p...... in the b.....

If my eyes where normal in a sense for any operation to correct shortsightnesses etc.. I would have had a go at the laser treatment myself
:-C

The thing that worries me about wearing glasses is that the glasses lenses (plastic) get scratched while using the bins etc.... (I assume the rubber ends on bins are supposed to protect ones glasses). Again fine rain grrr... :eek!:

Contact lenses they are great, but on a windy/hot day they can be a bit of a nightmare with all the dirt and small flies in the air, waiting to assault the eyes.

The hot tropics well that would be awkward too, with extra equipment/storage to cater for the eyes only (and that rain too!!)

Peewit

I have thought about it a few times but the idea of some foreign import to the NHS quacks pointing a laser beam at my eyeballs scares me rigid. No thanks.

lasik

Bob

Thanks for the feedback on your cataract surgery. I am considering lasik eye surgery but not sure if I should yet. I am currently researching lasik information to decide whether I want to go on with the surgery. Any suggestions?

Laser eye surgery has quite a high success rate, approximately 90% of people achieve 6/12 (20/40) or better vision, normal vision being 6/6 (20/20), depending upon the technique used.
QUOTE]

With my luck I'd end up in the 10 % rate of failure. I'll stick to my goggles, thank you very much.

Greetings, Ronald

PS : I tried contact lenses years ago and got my eyes damaged; all is well now, and I'd like to keep it that way

Chris,

I had lasik surgery 4 years ago....well worth every penny, my eyesight returned (and still is) 6/6 vision and it is amazing the difference it has made to picking out birds, especially in the sky.

I used Ultralase www.ultralase.co.uk and found them to be very professional throughout and answered any questions I had for them, however small. I found the oepration fine, though the pain afterwards is quite something....try a bottle vodka straight after and have a late afternoon appointment - that way you could in theory sleep through the pain.

Don't let others put you off, I would definitely recommend this surgery to any birder.

Hear Hear! I had it too to correct my short-sightedness. Thoroughly recommend it! Birding with glasses is rubbish!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back