• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Life expectancy for an SX50 (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

Hi, got one of these a few weeks ago but have only just started to use it. And am now putting alot of shots through it. So it makes me wonder if there is a life expectancy for this type of camera? That said I bought it to use it and I will do just that and its wonderful that in this part of NZ we have the opportunity to do just that with the birds we have here.

I'd have to say it all depends on how you treat it. Be reasonably gentile with it like all delicate electronics.

I have an SX30 that has taken 8264 shots and an SX40 that has taken 11086 shots. Neither have exhibited even a hiccup.

I'd have to guess that the most likely problem would be from moving parts and the most important moving part would be the lens going in and out. If you're worried, don't shut it off between frequent shots - but that increases the risk of banging the lens shaft as it's out. I'd also have to guess that the IS is sensitive to being bung so retracting the lens between shots would make sense.

Life of the camera anyway I'd think depends most on how you take care not to bang it around than how many shots you take.

Last edited:
I'd have to say it all depends on how you treat it. Be reasonably gentile with it like all delicate electronics.

I have an SX30 that has taken 8264 shots and an SX40 that has taken 11086 shots. Neither have exhibited even a hiccup.

I'd have to guess that the most likely problem would be from moving parts and the most important moving part would be the lens going in and out. If you're worried, don't shut it off between frequent shots - but that increases the risk of banging the lens shaft as it's out. I'd also have to guess that the IS is sensitive to being bung so retracting the lens between shots would make sense.

Life of the camera anyway I'd think depends most on how you take care not to bang it around than how many shots you take.

Oh Dear. Bought one of these cameras before going on holiday this month. Whilst away, was gutted to develop an intermittent fault on the start up, so that I get a message 'lens fault'. The lens then comes out, but wont stay out, goes back in to the camera and then switches off. The camera was not knocked or dropped, and the only thought I have is that I was holidaying in sultry Tobago. I will be returning the camera asap to be repaired, hopefully under warranty. Was more than happy with performance until then, so was very upset at this problem with camera performance.
Tony

Just got the SX50 back, after a repair of the shutter. Since 11/2012, when it was bought, I took many pics. I can't find a shutter count in menu or exifs, maybe it doesn't have one. There are 87,545 pic's stored on my PC made with this camera. Some are doublets, but altogether I must have deleted more bad photographs than PS-"improved" good shots. So my rough estimate would be 100,000+ pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back