• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 5D3 cards for video (1 Viewer)

MichaelSH

I have a 5D3 and 32gb CF cards. I wish to have a card in the SD Slot and be able to switch from stills on the CF and Video on the SD. There are comments on the internt that by having an SD (SDXC) writing to either card is limited to the slower rate of the SD card. Is this true and if so, in the real world is the result likely to be of significance to the average bird photographer?

I have a 5D3 and 32gb CF cards. I wish to have a card in the SD Slot and be able to switch from stills on the CF and Video on the SD. There are comments on the internt that by having an SD (SDXC) writing to either card is limited to the slower rate of the SD card. Is this true and if so, in the real world is the result likely to be of significance to the average bird photographer?

I read that too but when I have taken the SD card out I haven't noticed a difference. Maybe depends on having a much slower SD card than the CF one you use.

I thought it was that if you were writing to both cards at once (eg RAW on one, JPEG on the other) the write speed is limited to the slowest one (and SD isn't very fast on the 5D3). If you're only writing to the CF card it would be unaffected. The SD slot on the 5D3 doesn't support UHS for high speed SD cards anyway.

I have an SD card in my 1D4 but it's only there as emergency backup if the main CF card fills up or fails (or I forget to put it back in ;0). Unfortunately the dual-memory card setup on the 5D3 isn't as useful as that on the 1DX. Maybe the new 7D2 will do this better as it has UHS support for the SD slot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back