• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BA and Noctilucent cloud (1 Viewer)

Binastro

Leica 8x32 BA was the ideal binocular this morning for large display of NLC, because of freedom from ghosts, glare and flare.

Followed from 2.40 to 3.25 a.m. BST.
Clear sky, transparency very good.
Moderately bright bands, blue white.
Maximum elevation 19 degrees, minimum 5 degrees.
Azimuth 340 to 035 degrees. either side blocked by trees and building.
Display obviously there earlier and later than my timings.
Sunrise 04.42 BST.

Took 14 photos for measurement.
1 sec f/2.8 800 ISO. Also 1 sec f/3.2 800 ISO.

Also used 8x32 BA to view bright Mars.
At end of July Mars will be 24 arcseconds diameter, mag minus 2.8.
Use highest power on your largest scope.
60x, 70x but 150x much better.

Used Canon 18x50IS for Jupiter, its moons and Mars also.

My 50th year of NLC observations and photography.
These clouds usually 82km above sea level.
So this morning the ones I saw were above northern England and far north of Scotland.

Hello
Apart from birdwatching, have you used the small Leica 8X32 BA for wide-field astronomical observations? as for example the Milky Way ..
This model Leica BA is already quite old, but the coating that it has is good enough to show contrasted images, that is, "lift" well the objects of deep sky against the background of the sky?
best regards
Wachi

Hi Wachi,
I haven't seen the Milky Way for at least 15 years.
One is lucky here to see constellations.
All ones sees is a sky awash with light pollution as the human race worships lights. I suppose the same as the ancients worship of the fire gods.
They also worship the blue screens of their mobile devices, which does them no good at all.

The great new thing is 100 watt LED floodlights, guaranteed to light up even the most well curtained bedroom.

For the NLCs, the Monarch HG 8x42, Conquest 8x32 HD and 8.5x44 HR/5 are pretty useless. It takes a proper binocular like the 8x32 BA to show them free of false ghosts, flare and glare.

I haven't seen the Milky Way for at least 15 years.

David

A good reason to treat youself to a trip to the west of Scotland or at least some parts of Northumberland. This is not the best time of year as it doesn't go totally dark but if you were to visit Ardnamurchan in October the Milky Way is an incredibly dense band across the sky.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back