• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron IS ED WP or Nikon Prostaff 5 (1 Viewer)

ricky25

Hi, with my current budget what scope would you recommend, the older Opticron IS 60 ED WP with fixed x25 or a Nikon Prostaff 5 60 with x20 fixed or standard zoom.

I've narrowed it down to these two in the straight versions, both fully waterproof?, any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

As usual the advice at this end of the market is to go for a used higher quality scope.

Something like the Nikon 60mm Fieldscope ED2 or (ED3 if you can one at the right price), will be much better than the models you have picked.

If you decide to go for new try them both out and see which gives the better image and then buy that very scope as they all vary a bit in their optical qualities.

Hi,

if the two options are new scopes, I agree that with some patience and luck some nicer used piece might be found.
Btw. what is your budget - I have only found 400 quid for the Prostaff and zoom at amazon.co.uk (260 body and 135 EP). And no offers for the discontinued IS 60 ED WP...

If I was forced to choose between the two I'd take the Opticron due to ED glass - you have then the possibility to get a zoom and more range later. The Prostaff with an achromatic doublet objective will probably start to get blurry past 40x.

Btw, why did you choose straight scopes - if it is due to price - ok, but angled is way more popular for a reason - unless you only bird in a car or a hide.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back