• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

altimeter watches (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all

Spending quite a bit of time in mountains, I wear an altimeter watch. I started with a Casio but I got fed with the high cost of getting a battery fitted -it had to be sent off to retain the waterproof seal. I then swapped to a Suunto due to the rave reviews - apparently it was the brand and the fact that a new battery could easily be fitted without it losing its waterproofness. However, for sometime now, the altimeter has been very erratic to the point where it has become pointless. I am pondering swapping back to Casio - which now have a number of solar-powered models. This being the most likely one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Pro-...e=UTF8&qid=1535529579&sr=1-1&keywords=prg-270.
Anyone got any thoughts on Casio vs Suunto. I actually prefer the looks of the Suunto Core, but a bit reluctant to buy it, as it's the updated version of the faulty one I have.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Whilst not scientific - I've owned both a Casio Protrek and a Suunto Core All Black...
(I wanted the Altimeter function for the opposite reason as you - I do alot of Caving and anted to know how far DOWN I'd gone :) )
Anyway...the Suunto Core is a better watch overall...comfier, easier to read, easier to use the functions...but the Casio Protrek was MUCH better at giving a (semi) accurate altitude reading...

I've been in flat Suffolk for a while so the watch hasn't been used in anger yet so it's hard to say. I will say my Suunto wasn't that old when its altimeter started giving erratic results. The new model may be an improvement and I have to admit I preferred it asthetically but that expereience put me off. The Casio I had before never went wrong; I just got fed up of paying to replace the battery but that problem was solved by the solar watches.

For some reason I got the watch £40 cheaper than the link I originally gave so dig around if anyone is tempted.

Have had both over the years. I had to abandon my Suunto when the plastic of the battery compartment dissolved due to exposure to DEET! I have had a Protrek for several years (solar) and have been really pleased with it. Over the winter I occasionally need to put it on a sunny windowsill to keep the battery topped up, but otherwise delighted. I have one of the models which reads a time signal so I never need to adjust it.

Rob

Steve,

I have worn a Suunto Vector since right after 9/11. I had a good friend in the National Guard Special forces unit and they all got those watched right before they deployed. Right after seeing his, I had to have one for myself. I have been wearing one every day since. In fact I have 2 Suunto Vector watches in black. I have had 2 problems over that time span and each time I called Suunto America and they told me to send it to them and about a week later, the watch arrived back at my house working perfectly.

Now I also really like Casio G-Shock and Pro-Trek watches, but have never had the chance to get one of the really nice models that I like that's in the MUDMAN category. The one I like runs about $500 and I just can't see myself paying that kind of money for a digital watch.
I also like a couple of the Suunto CORE models, the Dusk Gray in particular.

I too prefer the digital watches with all the gizmos on them.
Here is one that I'd really like to have, but it's just too much money. Heck, I could buy a sweet, new CCW pistol or a pig hunting rifle with that kind of money and still have a bunch left for practicing.

Show off your new watch...please.

Here is one that I'd really like to have, but it's just too much money. Heck, I could buy a sweet, new CCW pistol or a pig hunting rifle with that kind of money and still have a bunch left for practicing.

Show off your new watch...please.

Please, we need a link to the one you'd really like to have.

Hey etudiant,

SURE!! I'll be happy to give you a look at the Casio that I am currently craving. It is in the group of watches called MUDMASTER and there are several different looks and colors and variations in that group. It is also part of the "MASTERS OF G" group too. I hate how Casio does their naming though. It's confusing as can be. I wished they'd just give each different watch a DIFFERENT NAME. That would make it a whole lot less aggravating and it would also give a person the ability to look at the watch and see what model it is and go look for it. They way it now, a picture only gets your pinky toe in the door to try and find out what model it is that you are looking at.

This one is the G-SHOCK MUDMASTER GWG1000-1A3
https://world.g-shock.com/asia-mea/en/products/mog/mudmaster/

I really don't care much about the color, I like 'em all.

Sometimes Casio does a "Special" run of watches that are collaborations with artists, athletes, DJ's, whatever, that results in more models to take into account. The price on these "special" collaborations goes UP really quick, ending up near $1,000 for a Casio DIGITAL watch. I like some of these collaborative efforts, but I don't think I'd ever fork over that kind of money for a DIGITAL watch. Just my thinking. I appreciate and think it's cool that there are those out there that are able to spend that much and a company willing to cater to their core customers.

Here's a SUUNTO CORE that I am really wanting too. It's in the Suunto CORE family. There are all kinds of different color variations in the CORE line. Check them out and see what you think.
https://www.suunto.com/en-us/Products/Sports-Watches/Suunto-Core/Suunto-Core-Dusk-Gray/

There's the 2 watches that I would really like to have SANTA drop off for me on Christmas morning. I'll leave out nice choco chip cookes with a glass of milk and of course, some treats for his reindeer.

What's your thoughts on these 2, or any of the others that were in the links that I posted?

Have a great weekend!

Larry

Seem like really fine watches, just overkill for me.
I'd like a simple watch that just does altimeter, solar power and auto time.
GPS is a bridge too far for a watch imho, too power hungry. Likewise, a lot of the very rugged wear features go right over my head, they add value in situations that I would pay money to avoid.
Still would like to retire my current basic Casio in favor of something better, but have not found it yet, so hoping to learn from others.

Here is a watch I have been considering , I just need to get past the sticker shock. It's solar powered , has altimeter, compass , touch screen and a few other basic features.

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-ca/shop/tissot-t-touch-expert-solar-5.html

Nice set of capabilities, even if a tad very pricey.
More broadly, this seems like a logical set of features for a modern watch, especially as it is now cheap to add atomic time, plus heart rate and related features.
I'd think that the people who make FitBits and perhaps even Apple would be looking at the idea of a ruggedized model, so there may be new options coming.

Wow, love the Tissot...But couldn't bring myself to pay anywhere close to that.

I've get several altimeter watches, couple of faves are the Casio Pro-trek triple sensor, and Casio Tough Solar in Titanium--also a triple sensor with Atomic time calibration!
I'm partial to Titanium/sapphire crystal watches when I can find them.
My dress faves are the Citizen Titanium/Sapphire Promaster SuperChrono, and Citizen Master of Complications in Titanium.

NOS alti watches are out there and reasonable, eBay is a good source. I picked up two new old stock Casio titanium tough solars for $160 for both from a dealer parting with old stock. Both only needed a good solar charge and they were perfect, and of course new. I gifted one to my son who is a watch buff and he loves it. Those watches retailed at $375 each, saved about $600.... Shop around!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ca8.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ca8.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I went through two Suunto Vectors, the electronics were wonderful. One was lost when the strap broke and it fell off whilst climbing and one died through salt water ingress whilst sailing. But they were accurate and reliable.

I then went for a Suunto Core but that was different beast altogether. It ate batteries at an alarming rate, one per 3 months, a Vector would do 12 months minimum. It also occasionally reset itself. Then a couple of months out of warranty it started resetting itself virtually everyday, making it useless. I contacted the shop and Suunto directly but neither wanted to know.

Here is a watch I have been considering , I just need to get past the sticker shock. It's solar powered , has altimeter, compass , touch screen and a few other basic features.

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-ca/shop/tissot-t-touch-expert-solar-5.html
Nice set of capabilities, even if a tad very pricey.
More broadly, this seems like a logical set of features for a modern watch…
Wow, love the Tissot...But couldn't bring myself to pay anywhere close to that.
Old thread, but I noticed the reference to altimeter functions in a watch and in response to these three posts here, I have this T-Touch Solar Expert. Haven’t used all the features, though I will occasionally use barometer the most, then the compass, altimeter, and just recently the extra time zone.
Seems to be a fairly tough watch so far and I’m really impressed with the black pvd coating which has only shown any scratches where I was carrying large chunks of concrete. The top of the watch has taken some good hits so far, but no marks to show for it, and the sapphire crystal still looks as it should, brand new.
There have been some issues reported with these watches since their initial release, notably battery life, which is how I ended up choosing the latest model possible, including the solar powered option and every time I check, it’s still got a fully charged reading.
FCE8F5C1-A411-4A6D-AD9F-0F7FCE52F328.jpeg

The Casio proved a good but but is probably soon to be replaced by this https://www.johnlewis.com/garmin-in...wered-rugged-gps-smartwatch-graphite/p6058085
I've had the original Instinct for a few years now. It's a very good watch.
Mine needs a charge every 2 weeks, so the Solar versions should do better than that.
The only criticism I have is that it needs its own USB cable, it has some weird connection at the watch end. So maybe buy a spare cable unless the solar really does soak up every ounce of daylight!

I've had the original Instinct for a few years now. It's a very good watch.
Mine needs a charge every 2 weeks, so the Solar versions should do better than that.
The only criticism I have is that it needs its own USB cable, it has some weird connection at the watch end. So maybe buy a spare cable unless the solar really does soak up every ounce of daylight!
I think that's normal. My Tom Tom running watch, which is about to lose all technical support, has a similar thing. Pity they can't just use the same cables as most things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back