• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies, Northern Spain (1 Viewer)

thomasclark1985

Hi,

Can people correct or confirm these ID's from Northern Spain please?

1) Amanda's Blue

2) Silver-washed Fritillary f.valezina

3) Dark Green Fritillary

4) Chalk-hill Blue

5) Red Underwing Skipper

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• P1040867.JPG
    P1040867.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P1040277.jpg
    P1040277.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P1040749.jpg
    P1040749.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 16
  • P1040507.jpg
    P1040507.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 10
  • P1040251.JPG
    P1040251.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 11
1 Don't think this is Amanda's, looks more like Chapman's or even Mountain Argus but it doesn't fit either exactly?

Note the whitish dash, running horizontally towards the wing edge from the 4th and 5th black spots on the hind wing, Amanda's doesn't show this.

Agree with 2 but doing Fritillaries or Skippers without seeing the under wing is beyond me.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, apologies about the lateness of mine, I've been really busy. I'll leave 1 as unidentified, there were plenty of Chalk-hill Blue's around, so it could have been that. I find Blue's very difficult, can anyone give me any pointers on what markings to look out for to make them easier? I've spent a lot of time comparing number of black spots on the undersides to then realise from the guide most species have variation, so should I spend more time focusing on the upperside if possible?

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, apologies about the lateness of mine, I've been really busy. I'll leave 1 as unidentified, there were plenty of Chalk-hill Blue's around, so it could have been that. I find Blue's very difficult, can anyone give me any pointers on what markings to look out for to make them easier? I've spent a lot of time comparing number of black spots on the undersides to then realise from the guide most species have variation, so should I spend more time focusing on the upperside if possible?

Thanks again,

Tom

With Blues, Fritillaries and Skippers, under wing is more useful, best to get upper and under wings if possible.

Particularly with Blues, some local variation can cause real headaches.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back