• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon or Nikon? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I was looking to get a less expensive pair of binoculars to carry around. If a person didn't care too much about them being waterproof what would be better optically between these two. Nikon Monarch 8x42mm or a Canon 10x30mm IS. I can get them for about the same price. Thanks!

Dennis

Personally I have always found the Nikon view to be more true in terms of color rendition. Brightness levels and ease of eye placement would also favor the Monarchs because of the difference in the exit pupil size.

I was looking to get a less expensive pair of binoculars to carry around. If a person didn't care too much about them being waterproof what would be better optically between these two. Nikon Monarch 8x42mm or a Canon 10x30mm IS. I can get them for about the same price. Thanks!

Dennis

Now, why would you do that Dennis, you already have the best binoculars in the world, your ubber Zeiss 10x42 FL?

Get the Nikons.

Dennis

Why not Opticron. I have been using a pair of 8 x 42 for the past 14 years, I don't know what model they are, all it says on them is High Resolution. (At the time I purchased them I had never heard of Opticron, but I gather the make is better known now).They were not expensive, but out performed all the other makes I tried at the time. My eyesight is pretty good, but some makes which were highly recommended I had difficulty in even using. So with everything one mans meat is another mans poison. Go out and find out which make and model suits you best.

Otto McDiesel said:
Now, why would you do that Dennis, you already have the best binoculars in the world, your ubber Zeiss 10x42 FL?

Get the Nikons.

Heh Otto. Are you the one that has Leica tattooed on your butt? What in the hell is "ubber"? Is that a word? Although your caustic comments aren't appreciated your somewhat shallow advice is.

Dennis

Personally, I found every Canon IS under 12 power to be unsatisfactory... the 10x and 8x do not offer much stabilization, especially if you can hold steady without IS at those magnifications. The optics are quite a bit less than desirable.

The IS is much better on the 12x and 15x. When the Canon rep came to my store, I was able to examine EVERY one of their IS bins (except for the 18x which wasn't yet available), and I really loved the 15x and the 12x.

A Browning 10x42 or B&L Discoverer Roof 10x42, as well as the Zeiss Conquest would be good places to start...

Dennis, any jousting directed at you is pretty well earned, IMHO.

Keep your opinions to yourself!

xenophobe said:
Personally, I found every Canon IS under 12 power to be unsatisfactory... the 10x and 8x do not offer much stabilization, especially if you can hold steady without IS at those magnifications. The optics are quite a bit less than desirable.

The IS is much better on the 12x and 15x. When the Canon rep came to my store, I was able to examine EVERY one of their IS bins (except for the 18x which wasn't yet available), and I really loved the 15x and the 12x.

A Browning 10x42 or B&L Discoverer Roof 10x42, as well as the Zeiss Conquest would be good places to start...

Dennis, any jousting directed at you is pretty well earned, IMHO.

If you have to end your post with a smart remark you can keep your advice !

Dennis

Canon and Nikon make fine binoculars, although Canon has taken theirs in a different direction than most other manufacturers. Alan French, whom I respect, is a partisan of the Canon IS system. I, however, have reservations regarding the IS system and its stoutness. That is, how long will the IS system survive frequent use in the field? Ordinary binoculars aren't as complicated as the Canons and will sustain years of use under ordinary conditions, and I can't help but wonder how long the IS system is expected to last before it simply wears out. If all other aspects of these binoculars are equal, I would still choose the Nikons for this reason. Just my thoughts.

Den,

I'm a little confused by your question. Why would you want another full-size binocular to "carry around?" In other words; If your going to carry a full-size, under what circumstances would you choose to carry a "lesser" optic than your Zeiss FL?

I can understand wanting a good compact to slip into a pocket so as to still have a binocular available when carrying a full-size would be inconvenient or even flat not possible but, your question doesn't make sense to me.

I have a cheap full size pair in the trunk of my car. When I know I am going birding, I take the better pair as well. Too risky to leave in car where I park.

2nd Pair of cheap binoculars

lucznik said:
Den,

I'm a little confused by your question. Why would you want another full-size binocular to "carry around?" In other words; If your going to carry a full-size, under what circumstances would you choose to carry a "lesser" optic than your Zeiss FL?

I can understand wanting a good compact to slip into a pocket so as to still have a binocular available when carrying a full-size would be inconvenient or even flat not possible but, your question doesn't make sense to me.

Just a pair to keep in the car at all times when I can't really trust leaving my Zeiss FL's in the car if you know what I mean.

Dennis

O.K., that makes sense. (I never was accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed you know.) ;)

Anyway, I think you asked this same question in the canon forum and I will just reiterate my answer from that post. One vote for the nikons from me.

Just a pair to keep in the car at all times when I can't really trust leaving my Zeiss FL's in the car if you know what I mean.

Dennis

Hey Dennis,
Get a pair of SE's for the car. Nobody in their right mind would steal those old porros! Kidding. For a pair of "beaters" I would save some money over the Monarchs and get some Nikon Sporters. I have a pair in my truck. I know you haunt eBay and you might even be able to get a better deal than I did there-$75. I was able to pick up a 8x and a 10x at that price. I really like the 10x's view over the 8x, which is kinda weird because I usually like 8x. But, I also like the 10x for the truck because for me it is usually "hey-whats that over there" and in that situation you might as well have the extra power over the extra FOV. The Sporters view for the money is really great. Just don't go comparing it to your FL's because they can't and should'nt hold up there. Good luck, Clark

Last edited:
cbushme said:
Hey Dennis,
Get a pair of SE's for the car. Nobody in their right mind would steal those old porros! Kidding. For a pair of "beaters" I would save some money over the Monarchs and get some Nikon Sporters. I have a pair in my truck. I know you haunt eBay and you might even be able to get a better deal than I did there-$75. I was able to pick up a 8x and a 10x at that price. I really like the 10x's view over the 8x, which is kinda weird because I usually like 8x. But, I also like the 10x for the truck because for me it is usually "hey-whats that over there" and in that situation you might as well have the extra power over the extra FOV. The Sporters view for the money is really great. Just don't go comparing it to your FL's because they can't and should'nt hold up there. Good luck, Clark
Don't you think roofs would be better in the truck because they could tolerate the environmental extremes better? Also, after looking through the Canons and the Nikon Monarchs I am actually amazed that there is not a tremendous difference between them and the Zeiss FL's. In fact you have to look close to tell the difference. The less expensive binocular is perhaps a little duller and maybe not quite the field of view but I am amazed what great binoculars you can get for less than $300.00. Actually, I would say the edge sharpness on the Canons are better than the Zeiss FL's and the Monarchs have to be the best buy for the money out there. I think the voting has went towards the Nikon Monarchs so that is what I will buy. I like the view from either but I prefer the ruggedness and long term solidity of the Monarchs.

Dennis

Don't you think roofs would be better in the truck because they could tolerate the environmental extremes better? Also, after looking through the Canons and the Nikon Monarchs I am actually amazed that there is not a tremendous difference between them and the Zeiss FL's. In fact you have to look close to tell the difference. The less expensive binocular is perhaps a little duller and maybe not quite the field of view but I am amazed what great binoculars you can get for less than $300.00. Actually, I would say the edge sharpness on the Canons are better than the Zeiss FL's and the Monarchs have to be the best buy for the money out there. I think the voting has went towards the Nikon Monarchs so that is what I will buy. I like the view from either but I prefer the ruggedness and long term solidity of the Monarchs.

Dennis

The Nikon Sporters are roofs and seem to be fairly sturdy ones with considerable heft for their size. You can't go wrong with the Monarchs, I just thought for car bins the Sporters would be a little less painful to have "disappear" and with just a little performance loss from the Monarchs. It is amazing what great views you can get for very little money these days. Consider the 10x Monarchs. Like I said I normally go 8x and always want more FOV, but when looking at wildlife I've already spotted with the naked eye the 10x makes a lot of sense, to me anyways.

Bought the Nikon Monarchs 8x42(astromart)

cbushme said:
The Nikon Sporters are roofs and seem to be fairly sturdy ones with considerable heft for their size. You can't go wrong with the Monarchs, I just thought for car bins the Sporters would be a little less painful to have "disappear" and with just a little performance loss from the Monarchs. It is amazing what great views you can get for very little money these days. Consider the 10x Monarchs. Like I said I normally go 8x and always want more FOV, but when looking at wildlife I've already spotted with the naked eye the 10x makes a lot of sense, to me anyways.

Thanks for everyones opinions. I went with the Nikon Monarch's 8x42. I found a LNIB for $180.00 shipped on Astromart. Not to bad.I would rather buy something off Astromart than E-bay because it is mostly good fellow astronomers and not crooks like E-bay. I think the one thing that swayed me was the one fellows comment about the better long term durability of the Monarch's and that perhaps because of the Canon's increased complexity they might not last as long. Also, I think the Nikons will take temperature extremes better because I believe the IS mechanism in the Canon limits your operational temperatures. I don't like the fact that the Canon has no lens covers either and the included case is pretty lame. It seems like they could solve that problem with a slight redesign of the binoculars. Either one is very good though. The Canon's have some of the best edge sharpness and flatness of field that I have ever seen. It will be kind of nice to have a knock around pair of binoculars that you don't have to worry about as much as the big buck stuff like the Zeiss. Just throw them on the seat of your car and forget them.

Dennis

This is all fine, guys, but my in the car bins are even cheaper, 20 dollar Barskas, porros. I have drieven with them in the trunk for 9 months and no loss in alignment. Inside the car I have some old 10x25 Bushnells, if I am too lazy to stop and go get the ones in the trunk.

Sporters: buy as many as you can afford. One for every car and every window of your house. Or cabin. One for guests. ;)

Car thefts: I had my wife's camera and tool bag stolen out of my Accord trunk while at a Wisconsin motel. I did not know she left it there. Thiefs are experts with Accords, Camrys.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back