• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens Cloths (1 Viewer)

TheBirdGarden

I don't have the money
A quick question about lens cloths. I like most people on here are the speccy kind and usually when I get a pair of new glasses I have a lens cloth thrown in with it. Would these be fine for wiping optics? I have a spotting scope F-ED would it remove the coating or should it be fine? I have four of them two are smooth feeling and the other two are soft feeling.

I keep a new Pentax, Swarovski or Viking microfibre cloth and in a small sealed plastic bag for my scope and bins. Another is kept for spectacles which often get grease on them. A quick breathe on the lens and a wipe is usually all that's needed. The ones you get with glasses are of a poorer quality and usually kick kick about in the case gathering dust. I even keep another clean one for the camera lens. One scratch is all you need to ruin an optic so I'd rather be a three cloth/three bag man!!!
If you want to use your existing cloths, wash them first in washing up liquid and keep them in a sealed bag.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back