• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weekend in Israel, February 2018. (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
A month or so earlier, my younger traveling companion, now at the grand age of nine, announced a list of five places in the world she wanted to visit – Hawaii, Death Valley, the Grand Canyon, the Eiffel Tower and the Dead Sea. With just a weekend to spare, the western side of America seemed a little extravagant and I really didn't have any real desire to visit Paris, so there it was, a trip to Israel on the cards. With just 2.5 days in the country, the basic idea of this mini trip, beyond obviously a short swim in the Dead Sea for the little one, was just to have an excellent weekend's birding, my only real targets being Black Bush Robin and a male Dead Sea Sparrow, the first of which I last saw in Sudan many years ago, the latter near two dozen years since last encountering a male.

In the event, an excellent weekend it turned out to be, a total of 97 species seen, including both the targets, plus an excellent range of other birds, including a Brown Booby, an Eastern Imperial Eagle, a Saker, a couple of Hooded Wheatears, several dozen Sinai Rosefinches and a couple of Desert Finches. Also three new species of butterfly for me, a bonus indeed.

Last edited:
16 February. Eilat and the southern Arava Valley.

Having arrived in Eilat well after dark the evening before, I was up at dawn to begin the explorations. A couple of hours before the car rental opened, so started the day with a stroll down to Eilat seafront (North Beach). A couple of Tristram's Starlings flying over, plus a mix of House Crows, Laughing Doves, Ring-necked Parakeets and Spectacled Bulbuls around the palms. On the sea and beach, things were even better – a nice bunch of White-eyed Gulls lounging about on buoys, at least 35 sitting just off the beach, plus one Western Reef Heron near the Jordanian border, one Pied Kingfisher where a drainage canal enters the sea and, best of the lot, one Brown Booby that flew in from Jordanian waters, circled round a few times, did a plunge dive, then flew out into the Gulf of Aqaba to disappear beyond tankers offshore.

Picked the car up at 8.00 a.m., then barely 15 minutes later was arriving at the spectacular desertscapes surrounding Amram's Pillars. White-crowned Black Wheatears and Desert Larks almost immediately, then a couple of Sand Partridge scuttling up a rocky slope. Three hundred metres short of the end of the road, I did a double take – in a small wadi where wild camping is permitted, a small flock of passerines hopping about at the base of a low cliff. Sat myself down in the sand, the flock almost at my feet, more birds soon flitting down from the sides of the wadi. What a glorious treat, two dozen Sinai Rosefinches hopping all over the place, deep red males fortunately in no short supply. In amongst, several dainty Blackstarts, occasional Desert Larks coming in and out, plus a couple of White-crowned Black Wheatears too. Half an hour with these, a few Sand Partridge also trooping through, then decided to explore the upper wadi – nice sandstone formations, contorted reds, but bar a few Rock Martins and a Steppe Eagle hugging a higher peak, little was happening.

Checked the flat stone desert on route out, a couple more White-crowned Black Wheatears, then a bit of a purple patch in a shallow wadi – not only a most fine Hooded Wheatear perching up, but also a couple of Asian Desert Warblers in loose association. Proving to be a good day so far, I then decided to drive the 40 km or so to Hai Bar Nature Reserve, location of my main target of the trip. Hanging out in clumps of acacia scrub behind the visitor centre, the bird in question was Black Bush Robin, a species that is primarily a spring vagrant to Israel, but with the odd pair lingering – one to two birds have been at Hai Bar for a couple of years now, even breeding last season. At the visitor centre, they pointed out the favoured bushes and then I began to wait, the actual bushes off limits to wandering birders. Palestine Sunbirds zipping about, dozens of Spectacled Bulbuls, hordes of House Sparrows and Laughing Doves too. And I waited, scrutinizing every movement in the bushes, House Sparrows usually responsible. No sign of Black Bush Robin. Arabian Babblers appeared, a flock of six active in the undergrowth. And then, just as I began to wonder whether I needed to return at dawn next day, a long-tailed black shape flew from the acacia clump to an isolated acacia tree just adjacent. And there it was, Black Bush Robin in all its glory, not on the ground as I was expecting, but working through the tree a metre or so up. Then it flew to an even denser area of vegetation, settled on the edge for a short while before vanishing inside. Didn't reappear, but I was not complaining! Three Blue-spotted Arabs flitting inthe warm sunshine, a new species of butterfly for me.

Decided on spec to head to the nearby Yotvata pivot fields. Southern area pretty arid, found a large flock of Crested Larks and one Skylark, saw a few Spur-winged Lapwings, had a female Hen Harrier drift over, then found two smart Desert Finches, but not that productive overall. Northern areas far greener, a lot of agribusiness underway – still didn't see that much however, tried in vain to find wintering Dead Sea Sparrows, probably mid-afternoon not the best time for these anyhow. Did find another Hen Harrier, a male this time, plus two Isabelline Wheatears, one Lesser Whitethroat, a couple of Siberian Stonechats, several Rock Martins and a flock of nine White Storks drifting north.

Stopped in a few random areas of desert thereafter – a couple more Asian Desert Warblers, a Southern Grey Shrike, a couple of Little Green Bee-eaters et al – but then decided to call it a day, heading back to Eilat. Couldn't be bothered to try for Liechtenstein's Sandgrouse at their traditional site just north of Eilat, but did stop at the lagoons at both the Israel Bird Ringing Centre and salt works at km 19 – superb contrast to the desert landscapes of the day, Greater Flamingoes mingling with assorted waders and ducks, a flock of about 60 Slender-billed Gulls a pleasing way to end the day.

Did plan to eat in town, but everything seemed closed for the Sabbath, got some junky food in a supermarket and headed for the hotel. Day one over, Dead Sea planned for next day.

Last edited:
A selection ...

Attachments

• Blackstart is 2.jpg
    Blackstart is 2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 34
  • White-crowned Black Wheatear is 1.jpg
    White-crowned Black Wheatear is 1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Hooded Wheatear is 1.jpg
    Hooded Wheatear is 1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Desert Lark is 2.jpg
    Desert Lark is 2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 57
17 February. Northern Arava Valley & Dead Sea.

Pretty long round trip to the Dead Sea from Eilat, even longer when excursions into the desert were added on route. Departed about 6.30 a.m., got to the legendary desert hotspots at km 94 about an hour later. A shallow wadi extended either side of the road, low stunted vegetation looking almost lush in comparison to the otherwise arid stone deserts stretching in all directions. A Red-rumped Wheatear was wintering in this area this year, but search as I did for a couple of hours, not a sign of it did I see – did manage a Spectacled Warbler and two Asian Desert Warblers though, plus a couple of passing Brown-necked Ravens, a pair of Southern Grey Shrikes, a few Desert Wheatears, another Isabelline Wheatear and a scatter of Desert Larks. Also saw Fat Sand Rat here and, my second new butterfly of the trip, a Desert Bath White.

The Dead Sea was calling, so onward we went. Two punctuations for pretty spectacular fly-overs – first a low-flying Saker, then for an even more dramatic Eastern Imperial Eagle, a sub-adult circling low over a hillside. Bit cloudy as we approached the Dead Sea, standing water at the road's edge a sure sign of very recent rain. More Brown-necked Ravens welcoming us as the first salty bays of the Dead Sea appeared below, my travelling companion was positively bubbling as she finally realised what we were approaching, I had not actually mentioned the Dead Sea or why we were in Israel! Plans to visit the northern parts of the Dead Sea however, where I had hoped to connect with Dead Sea Sparrow, were soon about to come to a grinding halt - we encountered a police barricade blocking off the road! Turned out that heavy overnight rain in the Judean mountains had resulted in flash floods that had washed out several sections of road, blocking much of the rest with boulders and debris. Fortunately for the Little One, we could access the Dead Sea beach at Hamme Zohar. Tristram's Starlings, Hooded Crows and Spectacled Bulbuls around the gardens of the resort, one happy traveller floating in the saline waters.

No chance of further progress north, birding at Ein Gedi and nearby sites for Dead Sea Sparrow off the agenda. Eventually meandered south again, stopping again at km 94/95 for another quick look round. Quite windy now, so less success, but a random stop some kilometres further south proved better – in a very well-vegetated wadi, found not only a very out-of-place looking Eurasian Robin, but also a Cyprus Warbler, a pair of Little Green Bee-eaters and a flock of Arabian Babblers.

Back in Eilat, spend the last hour of the day on North Beach – streams of Black-headed Gulls arriving, plus at least 40 White-eyed Gulls coming to roost on the buoys. Hoped to get to grips with the large gulls, but viewing is directly into the sun in the evening, so soon gave up on that! Still, a very nice sunset over the distant Sinai Peninsula.

Last edited:
Desert Bath White, first new species for me in Israel.

Attachments

• Desert Bath White is 1.jpg
    Desert Bath White is 1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Desert Bath White is 3.jpg
    Desert Bath White is 3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 25
Yep, just read your report ...that would have been a pretty amazing sighting - a Wolfbirder at km 94 :)

Not a pretty sight........though I was there enough :)-

Oh, and Desert Finches...........I think they are make believe!! Been 3 times to Israel now, no sign.

Last edited:
18 February. Eilat & Southern Arava Valley.

A final half day, and in many ways the most spectacular few hours of birding on this whole mini-trip. Started with a quick walk round the Israel Bird Ringing Centre – Bluethroat, White-throated Kingfisher, Caspian Stonechat, all pleasant enough, but I was more interested in trying to track down any wintering Dead Sea Sparrows that might be in the area. Spoke to one guy who said there were none on the reserve, but a small flock could sometimes be found along the drainage canals separating the saltpans from the adjacent palm groves. I had already checked these, but decided for another look. Marsh Sandpipers in the shallows, a few Ringed Plovers et al, a few Graceful Warblers in tamarisk. And then a flock of nine small birds flew in, plunging into a thick clump of tamarisk and reed ...looked good. After a few moments, birds shuffling around in the reeds, up popped a small female sparrow, a female Dead Sea Sparrow!

A few moments more, more shuffling in the reeds, up popped another few Dead Sea Sparrows, three or four classic males in their midst, superb. Stayed mostly in the depths of the reeds, but good views nevertheless. And then the flock took to the air, flew overhead and disappeared in the palm groves, end of the sparrows.

With success on the Dead Sea Sparrows, my next port of call was back to Amram's Pillars - armed with a small bag of grain, my plan to photograph the Sinai Rosefinches and various other birds. And successful it was, another Hooded Wheatear as I approached the wadi, several Dorcas Gazelles too, then at the wadi itself a pretty amazing spectacle as I scattered a little grain - within moments, as many as 40 Sinai Rosefinches squabbling about, White-crowned Black-Wheatears and Blackstarts in their midst, a half dozen Desert Larks too. With glorious sunshine, the following half hour or so was a pleasure indeed, a Sinai Rosefinch even perching on my foot at one stage! Then, presumably as appetites satisfied, off the birds began to drift, just a few Sinai Rosefinches left by 9.00 a.m.

Still some time to spare though, so popped into the pools at km 19 - excellent array again, a hundred of so Greater Flamingoes, several hundred Shovelers and other ducks, a dozen species of wader, highlights being a cracking Greater Sand Plover, quite a few Marsh Sandpipers and a dozen or so Spur-winged Lapwings. Also three Water Pipits and, at the edge of the nearby palms, a pair of Little Green Bee-eaters. And that was that, time was running out. Had a quick potter around Eilat seafront, one Western Reef Heron on the adjacent drainage canal,a few White-eyed Gulls still lingering. Picked up stuff fromthe hotel and headed out of town.

Stopped briefly at the Israel Bird Ringing Centre again, adding four species of butterfly - one Painted Lady, one Large Salmon Arab (new species for me), five Blue-spotted Arabs and one Desert Bath White, then returned the rental car and headed for the airport.

Trip over, White-crowned Black Wheatear the last bird of the trip near the airport.

Last edited:
Dead Sea Sparrows are just stunning. You did well to connect with them there.

I also note that a White-Breasted Kingfisher has been seen most days, but I never saw it. Sorry to ask, but where was it Jos? In the IBRCE, on one of the small pools? Or in the adjacent canal?

Dead Sea Sparrows are just stunning. You did well to connect with them there.

I also note that a White-Breasted Kingfisher has been seen most days, but I never saw it. Sorry to ask, but where was it Jos? In the IBRCE, on one of the small pools? Or in the adjacent canal?

Small pools - in front of the hide that overlooks a pool with a a couple of islands and, at least when I was there, a bunch of cormorants. White-throated Kingfisher was mostly sitting on reeds opposite the hide.

Sinai Rosefinches

Attachments

• Sinai Rosefinch M is 2.jpg
    Sinai Rosefinch M is 2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Sinai Rosefinch M is 4.jpg
    Sinai Rosefinch M is 4.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Sinai Rosefinch F is 1.jpg
    Sinai Rosefinch F is 1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Sinai Rosefinch F is 2.jpg
    Sinai Rosefinch F is 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 39
Great stuff Jos - I didn't realise the Rosefinches were there in such numbers. What are the views of the White-eyed Gulls like?

cheers, alan

What are the views of the White-eyed Gulls like?

Didn't spent much time on the beach, but early morning and evening (but looking directly into the sun then), they were roosting on buoys just off the beach - I guess about 60-100 metres off a concrete jetty.

Photographs below are before the sun came up and then in the evening - pretty sure you could get some good pictures if you gave it a little time.

Attachments

• White-eyed Gull is 1.jpg
    White-eyed Gull is 1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 92
  • White-eyed Gull is 2.jpg
    White-eyed Gull is 2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 56
Cracker! Rosefinches none too shabby either. Tidy little trip Jos, good job.

Cheers, appreciated. I thought it went pretty well considering I had just the weekend to play with - think I just got lucky with the Dead Sea Sparrows though, I understand they tend to be pretty elusive at Eilat.

Didn't spent much time on the beach, but early morning and evening (but looking directly into the sun then), they were roosting on buoys just off the beach - I guess about 60-100 metres off a concrete jetty.

Photographs below are before the sun came up and then in the evening - pretty sure you could get some good pictures if you gave it a little time.

Excellent thanks - good enough views for me!

cheers, alan

Small pools - in front of the hide that overlooks a pool with a a couple of islands and, at least when I was there, a bunch of cormorants. White-throated Kingfisher was mostly sitting on reeds opposite the hide.

Thanks Jos. Damn I must have spent an hour in that little hide/shelter, I know exactly the one you mean.

Have only briefly seen Dead Sea Sparrows there in all my visits, and then only briefly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back