• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammals Khao Yai (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all

Can anyone recommend the best area at Khao Yai for gaur? Any other recent mammal gen appreciated too.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi,
I think the best strategy would be to contact knowledgeable guide. I had one from the Greenleaf ??? Guesthouse and he showed me a Binturong and Pileated gibbons. Unfortunately I can no longer recall details. I also had good sightings driving up and down the main road at dawn and dusk as far as allowed. Don't book touristy night drives, they are a laugh. Be extra careful about elephants - European tourists showed us photos of a bull trashing their car taken from inside. If approached drive or run away immediately.

Hi,
Be extra careful about elephants - European tourists showed us photos of a bull trashing their car taken from inside. If approached drive or run away immediately.

Don't worry; I've spent a lot of time driving in Southern Africa, and I have been charged by an elephant. I've also seen the video. I'm always extremely cautious around elephants.

Don't worry; I've spent a lot of time driving in Southern Africa, and I have been charged by an elephant. I've also seen the video. I'm always extremely cautious around elephants.

The problems come not when you're in a car but if you chance on them on foot.

Last time I was at KY, there were Elephant prints everywhere and we were extremely cautious.

We were unfortunate on our last trip to South Africa, to witness an almost fatal Buffalo attack after an animal got in to the private and supposedly secure, compound that we were staying at on the edge of Kruger.

A

Last edited:
Elephants do appear to have got a lot commoner since I was last in Thailand, which is quite exciting as I've only ever had brief, poor views of Asian elephant but I lost my recklessness when I became a father and will be cautious.

Steve,

Sorry to be a bit late in replying to this thread which I only just saw.

The best place for Gaur seems to be on the north side of the park. There are a number of guard stations and at two of these that I have been taken to we visited elevated hides giving views over open grassland. Whilst we were hoping for Gaur we instead had a large pack of Dhole pass in front of us, which put paid to any hopes of a Gaur encounter.

At a third guard station we saw an apparently wild female Gaur that had been rescued as a calf and had eventually returned to the forest and joined a herd, but every year or so when she was calving she’d return to the guard station!

To visit these sites I think getting a local guide would be a good option.

Best wishes,

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back