• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camcorder Help (1st timer) (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hello guys, I recently took some pictures of a stoat with a rabbit with my 40D camera, If I had a camcorder I would have had some cracking video of it. What I want to know Is, can anyone recommend a camcorder with approx 20-30 optical zoom, that will fit into my coat pocket so I can carry it around when Ive got my 40d with me & that will cost around £100 either new or used. I have been looking at the panasonic nv-gs27 or nv-gs30 camcorders, these take the mini dv tapes & have a viewfinder as well as lcd screen. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks very much.
Sean..

Sean

Let me start off by saying that I've never taken video of anything up until this week when I tried out the functionality of my recently acquired 7D.
It's amazingly good for what (for all intents and purposes) is a secondary capability.
Would an SLR swap to the 7D be out of the question? Just a thought mate.

Regards

Simon

Last edited:
Cant afford the 7d, I like my 40d though. I thought a camcorder would be better, one that i could just stuff in a pocket for the times when a camcorder would do.. I tried a friends panasonic nv-gs27 a few months ago at bempton cliffs & thought it was brill, so am leaning towards that one at the moment, unless theres others out there..

Cant afford the 7d, I like my 40d though. I thought a camcorder would be better, one that i could just stuff in a pocket for the times when a camcorder would do.. I tried a friends panasonic nv-gs27 a few months ago at bempton cliffs & thought it was brill, so am leaning towards that one at the moment, unless theres others out there..

The Panasonic range are excellent (her indoors has one) very handy and as usual use it with a lightweight monopod as there's nowt more annoying than getting some great footage but its up and down all over the place! another alternative to the monopod is a shoulder pod.
Watch your step nr cliffs with the cameras i nearly went of Mull of Galloway last year after forgetting how close i was:eek!: LoL either that or Ruth pushed me? LoL
Cheers
Brian
ps get plenty of batteries! and go for a removable card model, heard of problems with JVC's with built in hard drive.

I have just bought a Panasonic NV-GS60 for £45 In superb used condition. Just waiting for some spare batteries, Mini DV tapes, Case & then Im off to film things (wildlife things).. Cant wait to post some footage on here, also whats the socket look like on a desktop PC or laptop which will fit a firewire cable...

sean.

I have just bought a Panasonic NV-GS60 for £45 In superb used condition. Just waiting for some spare batteries, Mini DV tapes, Case & then Im off to film things (wildlife things).. Cant wait to post some footage on here, also whats the socket look like on a desktop PC or laptop which will fit a firewire cable...

sean.
You'll need a firewire card!

cheers guys, my laptop dont have a connection for my camcorder, so I shall have a look at my desktop pc's, if they dont have one either. how much will it cost to have one fitted, roughly..

its ok my desktop pc has a firewire slot, just waiting for the cable. Oh & software cd.

sean.

How are you getting on with the camcorder Sean? got any Stoat footage yet?;) I filmed some Egrets a few weeks ago and found i had the camera set to mosaic:C:-O not a good look for nature movie LoL

Hi Claymore, sorry for the late reply. I have managed to film a Water Rail, but am trying to find the software for my camcorder (PANASONIC NV-GS60) so I will be able to upload my footage, Ive tried Panasonics website but cannot find It, so will have to keep looking. My firewire cable has arrived too. I will be upgrading my camcorder soon, I bought a fairly cheap one to see If I got Into the whole filming thing & Its nice to have some moving film of wildlife..

Merry christmas.

Sean.

Just happened to spot this thread. Has your computer got Windows Movie Maker? I always use that, it's much better than the software that came with my Sony.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back