• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favorite binocular at $1K? (1 Viewer)

My very very lightly used mint EDG 8X32 for $990.00, no seriously... for the $976.00 it is the Monarch 8X42 HG, contrary to what others say about the model, IMHO it is the one of the best optical views out there (8.3 degree FOV). Another if I may, is the Meopta 7X42 well worth the price available at Camera Land.

A.W.

My 8x experiences are somewhat limited, since I cut my teeth on 10x42's at age 11, 46 years ago.

8x42 Toric UHD
8x30 SLCneu

Zen-Ray 8x43 ED3. :king:

If I could get a Nikon MHG here for 《$1K AUD it would probably just be that - the trouble would be deciding between 8x and 10x :eek!:

I can tell you it definitely wouldn't be the Zeiss Conquest HD .....

Chosun :gh:

Zen-Ray 8x43 ED3. :king:

If I could get a Nikon MHG here for 《$1K AUD it would probably just be that - the trouble would be deciding between 8x and 10x :eek!:

I can tell you it definitely wouldn't be the Zeiss Conquest HD .....

Chosun :gh:
So if I gave you $1000.00 which is the budget here I could pry that Zen Ray 8x43 ED3 out of your hands? Why not the Zeiss Conquest HD?

Last edited:
Lee. Did you get the longer eye cups from Zeiss to accommodate eye relief?

Yes I did. The original eyecups were fine with my previous spectacles but my later presciption were marginal so I got the longer eyecups and they are great.

For me it was a face-off between the Conquest, Meopta's MeoStar 8x32 and Kowa's 8x33 and the Conquest won because of its faster focus which makes it more suitable for more of the observing I do.

Lee

What is your favorite birding binocular at $1K in any size?

You mean available new, regular price, currently? I'm not impressed with anything, especially since I was able to buy most of my alphas, both past and present, new on sale for substantially less or only slightly more. I think I'd look for used or demo models of recent designs by Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski. Otherwise, my inclination is to go for something much cheaper, in the $250 range. Everything in between is "meh"

--AP

A New Pentax ZD 8x43 ED Binocular Under $500. Shipped.

I started 2018 year with a " New Pentax 8x43 ZD ED binocular " which cost me only $475. shipped from a dealer on Ebay ... I was quite surprised when my not really serious e-snipe bid won the auction. 24 hours earlier I almost took a offer from OpticsPlanet for the same binocular for $882. shipped & I thought that was a deal under 1K.

Last edited:
I started 2018 year with a " New Pentax 8x43 ZD ED binocular " which cost me only $475. shipped from a dealer on Ebay ... I was quite surprised when my not really serious e-snipe bid won the auction. 24 hours earlier I almost took a offer from OpticsPlanet for the same binocular for $882. shipped & I thought that was a deal under 1K.
To tell you the truth the Pentax is one binocular I have never tried or even looked through. It does get good reviews though.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Pentax8x43ZDED-154.htm

What is your favorite birding binocular at $1K in any size?

Monarch HG 8X42. Lightweight, small stature, huge FOV, excellent focus adjustment, great optics. Al things considered, still the best birding binocular for less than $1000 IMO.

Honorable mention- Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 and Leica Trinovid HD 8X42. The B.1 Maven isn't bad either! ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0054.jpg
    DSC_0054.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 90
I'll cast my vote for the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32.

I did get a refurbished Nikon EDG for under $1k which is probably even better.

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back