• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern birds in the West (1 Viewer)

Ethanhawk

I came across a Western Grebe on the NJ coastline not far from Sandy Hook. I only found one photo (on the internet)of this type bird in NY not NJ. So how common is it for birds to be so far off course.?

The subject of "how rare is X species in Y location" is a massive one and it's nearly impossible to generalize. What is easy to say is that the majority of off-course birds probably never get seen by humans. Additionally, if you live along a coast, on an island that is in a migration corridor, or near a desert oasis, you're going to find more wayward birds than if you live inland in a huge patch of homogenous landscape (whether that homogenous landscape is Nevada sagebrush desert; Kansas farmland; Ohio mixed woods, subdivisions, and agriculture; or the middle of the Amazon forest).

For specific information related more to New York and New Jersey, there may well be published data but I wouldn't know. The state bird records committees should hopefully at least have web pages with some info, and eBird should be able to show you a subset of records with an bias towards recent records as eBird is a younger dataset.

I came across a Western Grebe on the NJ coastline not far from Sandy Hook. I only found one photo (on the internet)of this type bird in NY not NJ. So how common is it for birds to be so far off course.?

Specifically on Western Grebe in New Jersey, illustrated checklist for New Jersey here:-

https://ebird.org/region/US-NJ/media?yr=all&m=

Photos of Western Grebes in New Jersey here:-

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?reg...=wesgre&mediaType=Photo&sort=rating_rank_desc

All the best

There have been numerous reports of Western Grebe in New Jersey in the past.

Are you sure that it was a Western Grebe though? There are recent reports of both Horned Grebe and Red-necked Grebe at Sandy Hook, but no reports of Western Grebe.

Remember, they will be in non-breeding plumage now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back