• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

Thanks Lisa and WP.

LOL I do find it so easy to get confused, when faced with a whole slew of new species WP.

Continuing on we found a Swamphen snuggled into the grass by the path, and close by in the reeds a beautiful wee Superb Fairywren; how lovely to know they're here as well!!!

Then a couple of new birds for me Freckled Duck and minutes later up in the trees was a pretty Musk Lorikeet.... he really gave us a great show, letting us see how active and acrobatic they are when feeding.

Back to the water and a Masked Lapwing on an island with some assorted ducks.

Attachments

• BF Australasian Swamphen thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Swamphen thread.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Superb Fairywren thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren thread.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Freckled Duck thread.jpg
    BF Freckled Duck thread.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Musk Lorikeet thread.jpg
    BF Musk Lorikeet thread.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Masked Lapwing, souther thread.jpg
    BF Masked Lapwing, souther thread.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 16
Now I was re-acquainted with the sweet wee White-plumed Honeyeater, which I'd first seen at Bowra. Such a pretty bird this one.

It's was just great to find a fledgling Welcome Swallow sitting in the reeds, waiting for mum to come with some food. Then I got my only picture of a =n Eurasian Blackbird of the trip!!

We'd now got round the other side of this lake and reached a main path and there was a species I'd really hoped to see (don't laugh) Australasian Shoveler. OK this is the female and we didn't see the more showy male, but it's a shoveler. They always make me smile.

After a brief sit in the shade while we discussed which path to now take we set off again and very quickly came to an area of wet mud... and on the far side was a Red-kneed Dotterel, actually showing the red knees too!!

Attachments

• BF White-plumed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF White-plumed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 28
  • BF Welcome Swallow fledgling thread.jpg
    BF Welcome Swallow fledgling thread.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Grey Shrikethrush thread.jpg
    BF Grey Shrikethrush thread.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 42
  • BF Australasian Shoveler thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Shoveler thread.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 43
  • BF Red-kneed Dotterel thread.jpg
    BF Red-kneed Dotterel thread.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 25
Looking through your inland Queensland list from a 'tough birds to get' point of view, Bourke's Parrot's the real standout, and Sooty Owl, Red-kneed-Dotterel, and Paradise Riflebird can be tricky too. Shame you couldn't quite nail Hall's Babbler, which would be a lifer for me ;). Did you mean Southern rather than Eastern Whiteface?

Looks like you're off to a good start in SA, Freckled Duck's not too shabby either :).

Looking forward to more.

Thanks so much Larry. Indeed I did mean 'Southern' of course, and have made the correction, thanks.

Yeah. that Hall's Babbler is a pain for me. It was one of the main objects Hans was searching for on that drive. Where he'd seen one before he saw what he was sure was a babbler, but I had such poor views of it in deep scrubby shade, I really didn't feel I could add it to my 'seen' list.

Hi Delia, when you mentioned Freckled Ducks I remembered that we have some nearby, going to see if they're still there.....thanks!
Love your narratives keep them coming, look forward to them and thanks for sharing your long list!!!!
When you put in 'Bush-stone Curlew' did you see one in the wild?..... or was it the Beach-stone Curlew?
Whichever both gorgeous!!!

The last picture of a bird that I managed to get was of a Silver Gull.

As I said earlier, my head was spinning with so many species coming at me. It just wasn't possible to get them all, mostly because I was too slow, they dived, or hid behind leaves (you name it LOL but I did see / hear them.

Species there that I didn't photograph were: Australian Reed Warbler, Noisy Miner, Eurasian Coot, Crimson Rosella Adelaide subspecies, Little Corella, Galah, Tree Martin, Australian Spotted Crake, Australasian Grebe, Little Raven, Spotless Crake, European Goldfinch, Grey Shrikethrush, Black-faced Cuckooshrike, Magpie-Lark, Black-fronted Dotterel.

Still not sure I have them all listed though!

I took some pictures of the site, one showing the layout of the wetlands and another a rather attractively done plaque showing some of the birds that use the site also a general view of the first lake we walked round.

A rather pretty clump of flowers was identified for me by Adrienne as an introduced species, Sour Sob (not such an attractive name though LOL)

I also recorded a frog calling on my phone (there were loads of them singing as we walked round), but still don't know how to offload it.

Attachments

• BF First lake thread.jpg
    BF First lake thread.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Silver Gull thread.jpg
    BF Silver Gull thread.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Laratinga site plan thread.jpg
    BF Laratinga site plan thread.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Species Plaque thread.jpg
    BF Species Plaque thread.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Sour Slob, intro thread.jpg
    BF Sour Slob, intro thread.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 16
Hi Delia, when you mentioned Freckled Ducks I remembered that we have some nearby, going to see if they're still there.....thanks!
Love your narratives keep them coming, look forward to them and thanks for sharing your long list!!!!
When you put in 'Bush-stone Curlew' did you see one in the wild?..... or was it the Beach-stone Curlew?
Whichever both gorgeous!!!

Hi Nora. Thanks lass.

Indeed I did see both; Bush Stone-Curlew on Stradbroke Island and on the Gold Coast. With Beach Stone-Curlew, (on the beach;) ) on both visits to Bribie Island.

..... and I ain't picking a favourite LOL

Any more pics of the bird in the 3rd pic in post #465 Delia? It's not the easiest angle or lighting, but I don't think it can be Grey Shrikethrush with that yellow bill. Wondering if it might be a Blackbird??

Mmmmm.... I see what you mean Larry. Trouble is I've not much time to examine this just now as off out for a couple of hours.

Didn't have a BB recorded for the wetlands that day (but that don't mean much!). Probably best to wait for the Aussies to wake up.

One other pic but it doesn't show the bill, just the back of the head. Thinking it's not a shrikethrush now!

don't think that thing with a yellow bill is a Shrike-Thrush,Delia-just call it a "hoodwink"as we used to call unidentified birds when we were young!

Hans

LOL Hans "Hoodwink" love it. Not heard that term before.

The more I look at this picture, the more it looks like a female blackie, especially the way she's holding her wings. I've now heard from Peter and he tells me he had a BB listed for the wetlands that day and also thinks this picture is a BB, so .... thanks for flagging it up Larry.

Jones R Hahndorf

Eventually Peter and Adrienne dragged me away from Laratinga and we set out round the Adelaide Hills stopping for a lovely lunch en route.

We drove round by this lake where Peter hoped... and was proved right.... Pink-eared Ducks. Rather distant but no problem for this new camera, even picking up the tiny pink ear spot.

Also on this lake were Hard Head, Maned Duck, Grey Teal, Coot, Black-fronted Dotterel, Magpie-Lark and an Australian Magpie.

The last picture is taken at one of the few places you're able to stop on the very scenic steep hill road back down into town. I think Peter said he does (did?) surveys there.

Attachments

• BF Pink-eared Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pink-eared Duck thread.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 67
  • BF Maned Duck, Hardhead thread.jpg
    BF Maned Duck, Hardhead thread.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Jones R Hahndorf lake thread.jpg
    BF Jones R Hahndorf lake thread.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Black-fronted Dotterel thread.jpg
    BF Black-fronted Dotterel thread.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Cleland Conservation Park, Adelaide Hills thread.jpg
    BF Cleland Conservation Park, Adelaide Hills thread.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Peter.... I'm glad part of my memory is working OK LOL

Glad you were able to site and get a photo of the pink-eared duck. Another one I have not heard of before.

Fleurieu Peninsula

26 October 2019

The following day found us travelling down the Fleurieu Peninsula for the weekend, for Peter and Adrienne had an engagement to perform at the Fleurieu Folk Festival that weekend.

En route we saw a Black Kite, and I think that was the only bird of note really on the drive.

I'll show you a couple of pictures from the festival, the first is my two hosts performing together (and very well too I might add). This was after Adrienne had been on stage in the morning with a group doing a production of Purple and Gold, which they had written between them. It was commissioned to celebrate 125 years of women's suffrage in South Australia - it really was excellent, humorous and moving, and had many (including some of the men) in tears! You can see it here if you want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyg6StHmCHE

The Morris Dancers made me feel at home, so I took a pic of them teaching interested bystanders some of the routines.

Later we travelled further south to stay with friends of P&A's (John and Dora). A lovely welcoming couple - well into birds too.

The last three pictures were taken through the window, sorry - a Mistletoebird, a view across their land (with some of Dora's artwork in view) and two New Holland Honeyeaters in for a late bathe.

Attachments

• BF Adrienne Lovelock & Peter Day thread.jpg
    BF Adrienne Lovelock & Peter Day thread.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 30
  • BF Morris Dancers thread.jpg
    BF Morris Dancers thread.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Mistletoebird thread.jpg
    BF Mistletoebird thread.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 25
  • BF View from Normanville house thread.jpg
    BF View from Normanville house thread.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 24
  • BF New Holland Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF New Holland Honeyeater thread.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Lisa.

Yeah.... I was right pleased to see these ducks, they were quite distant, so I'm glad they are quite big LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back