• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca (1 Viewer)

Mcnswiss2

Yellow legged gull or lesser blackback gull

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• CA2D15CA-C556-41E3-898D-4FA191F62734.jpeg
    CA2D15CA-C556-41E3-898D-4FA191F62734.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 7B5CA8DE-B666-4CCB-8ADF-5A34CE338BFD.jpeg
    7B5CA8DE-B666-4CCB-8ADF-5A34CE338BFD.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 129
Thanks Andy
Quite a lot darker.
Yes the bird at the back is YL and comparing size plus slate color it started me thinking

Cheers

both are YLG. grey shade in gulls is extremely dependable on light angle. the grey parts in the front bird are not in direct (sun) light like the one in the back.

both are YLG. grey shade in gulls is extremely dependable on light angle. the grey parts in the front bird are not in direct (sun) light like the one in the back.

I'm sure this is correct, but in cases like this could you elaborate why, please? ...Will help those of us like me who have difficulty in believing in many of these large gull taxa...

ok, bill structure is striking as being high, with a strong gonys and a blunt tip. head is toatally white, most LBBGs usually still streaked. and then it is the pic itself which is made in sunlight. under such conditions you can get strikingly different grey tones, even if not in full shadow. my experience from pics tells me that a (generally more slender etc) LBBG would appear much darker than the front bird here is. and concerning wing pattern: LBBG have on average more black in outer 3 primaries, here there is a large gre basal part to them.

Last edited:
ok, bill structure is striking as being high, with a strong gonys and a blunt tip. head is toatally white, most LBBGs usually still streaked. and then it is the pic itself which is made in sunlight. under such conditions you can get strikingly different grey tones, even if not in full shadow. my experience from pics tells me that a (generally more slender etc) LBBG would appear much darker than the front bird here is. and concerning wing pattern: LBBG have on average more black in outer 3 primaries, here there is a large gre basal part to them.

Thank you.

Thanks, there is a thought here that it is an intermedious subsp.
The lighting was good..no shade

Cheers

Its a Yellow-legged. Never a doubt. Imagine, looking at your 2nd photo, that the bird in the foreground turned a few degrees into the position of the bird behind. Then the shade of grey would be identical ;) Check the upper mantle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back