• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Box Turtle - Shaw NR Missouri USA (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

Hiking a spur off the Bluff Overlook Trail in the Shaw NR on 12 July at 10am or so.

Found the turtle sitting in the middle of the trail.

Pretty sure it's an Eastern Box Turtle but the diminished pigment has me confused.

If I wrong or you care to comment I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Attachments

• Turtle-2.jpg
    Turtle-2.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Turtle-4.jpg
    Turtle-4.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Turtle-6.jpg
    Turtle-6.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Turtle-7.jpg
    Turtle-7.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 11
That's a Three-toed Box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis)

Missouri has two native subspecies of the Common Box turtle (Terrapene carolina)
Three-toed
Ornate Box turtle (Terrapene ornata ornata)

Eastern Box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina) range doesnt extend this far west.

As the name implies with the Ornate...the difference is obvious.
If you have a shot of the rear feet, you *should* see three toes.
Doesn't always hold true... Some Three-toed have four

No shots of the toes. I wanted to pick her but she was hunkered down so I let it be. Couldn't tell if she was laying eggs or what. I stood around for a good while she never moved. Circled back on the trail an hour or so later she was gone. Didn't see anyone else hiking that part of the reserve, I feel confident she wasn't snatched up.

Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back