• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner 8 x 56 Nighthunter/Shadow Quest (1 Viewer)

Well if your earlier comment was a joke then that was a joke. :) Also I am having a problem with your question marks. ? And what's with the ? Bill, I know a lot more about your book, have read much on it in this and other forums, and one thing remembered was "[about?] 200 pages".

About the large book you bought I looked up info on the internet and one reviewer says it could/should be 2 books (one on TR+Taft, the other on whatever, journalism at that time I think).

A couple/several times before this you have generously posted other pages on here for our benefit. Well if we provoke you as above from time to time on varied topics we can read it all here in installments without buying it! Hope sales are going well--though the subject is not the most popular. Actually I might buy two, one for a friend involved with binoculars.

Well if your earlier comment was a joke then that was a joke. :) Also I am having a problem with your question marks. ? And what's with the ? Bill, I know a lot more about your book, have read much on it in this and other forums, and one thing remembered was "[about?] 200 pages".

About the large book you bought I looked up info on the internet and one reviewer says it could/should be 2 books (one on TR+Taft, the other on whatever, journalism at that time I think).

A couple/several times before this you have generously posted other pages on here for our benefit. Well if we provoke you as above from time to time on varied topics we can read it all here in installments without buying it! Hope sales are going well--though the subject is not the most popular. Actually I might buy two, one for a friend involved with binoculars.

I don’t know what you mean about the question marks. As for the other, it was a typo. Earlier, I said Davis Bushnell when I meant DAVID Bushnell. If you have a stroke, you can do that too ... all too often.

At one time or another, almost everything in my book has been given away—in spades. I started it to help my neighbor. The book just puts it in one place.

In the foreword of the book, I say:

“... Finally, as an old guy with a handicap, knowing I can now cut, paste, and press a button to answer most of the questions coming my way makes me very happy. If necessity is the “mother of invention,” then surely laziness is the father ... ”

But I have to be careful not to offend. If Carl Sagan had promoted Cosmos on this forum, no one would have raised an eyebrow. ‘Same with Dr. Hawking. Had he promoted A Brief History of Time no one would have said a word. But while I have taught folks about binoculars at the UAs Center for Optical Sciences and lectured optical engineers of SPIE, some folks get wrapped around the axle thinking I’m profiteering. Anyone who thinks you’re going to make any real money writing about binoculars shouldn’t be allowed to drive. During the 10 years I published ATM Journal, I lost $22,000 and 2 expensive Rickenbacker guitars. I am a glutton for punishment if it means helping my neighbor. There are those who frequent this forum who can back that up. I realize the forum is about opinions. But from time to time, I don’t think a little meat born out of experience should be a bad thing.

I’m glad that guy in the photo didn’t think so. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Attachments

• billnye2 copy 2.jpg
    billnye2 copy 2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Adhoc, what binoculars do you actually own and use on a regular basis? just curious.

Andy W.

Last edited:
June 3rd
Adhoc,

If I may ask, what other binoculars do have and use?

Andy W.

Reply, June 3rd [Current position in red and square brackets]

From a post by me on Feb. 22 this year in a Zeiss thread:
- - - - - - - - - -
The Victory Pocket 8x25 is now the only binocular I use, and will probably remain so except for one more in 15x or 12x for higher x and for dim light. The text below I posted a year back (in another thread) and my needs remain the same.

"I have now had binoculars in 6,7,8,10,12,16x and 24,25,30,32,40,42,43,50,56,70 mm, which I have given away or sold. But for years my only optics for bird watching, conservation and ornithology, day and night, in varied habitats, was a small 8x25 Nikon. It was very rarely felt to be inadequate."

That period ended 7-8 years ago. Then I discovered fine optics! BirdForum was one source. Today that Nikon is not quite good enough for me. But it seems that I have found the replacement.
- - - - - - - - - -

- Alpen Teton 15x50 on the way (I do not like to use a monocular scope)

If the Alpen disappoints then I go for
- Meopta MeoStar-HD 12x50, OR
- Leupold ProGuide-BX4 12x50 [No, instead:
- Bushnell Engage 12x50]

Tempted also by
- Leica Ultravid-Plus 7x42 OR
- Nikon Monarch-HG 8x42
which will make the total 3.
[(Also tempted by)
- An 8x56 of very good optical quality,
which will make it 4.]

- Slik Lighty monopod for the high-x instrument (already arrived)

- Leica Ultravid 10x25 "left over", almost never used, may go
- Hawke Sapphire 8x25, "car bino", but currently misplaced(!)

Last to go, both in Feb. this year, after a few days of use, given away
- Nikon Monarch-5 12x42
- Bushnell Legend-M 8x42.

If the Alpens do not work out, I would opt for the Leopold or Meopta. I procured a 10X50 Engage, while I like the Bushnell Forge models in 8 and 10X42, the Engage 10X50 states that there is 15 mm ER, the eye-cups are too short for the provided ER, so I would assume the 12X50s are about the same. Optically, you would not be impressed.

The Monarch 8X42 is a nice glass, and while the eye-cups fit my facial features well, many have complained of them being a bit large in diameter. Nice wide field of view, but it is no SF.

Andy W.

I don’t know what you mean about the question marks. As for the other, it was a typo. Earlier, I said...If you have a stroke, you can do that too ... all too often.

At one time or another, almost everything in my book has been given away—in spades. I started it to help my neighbor. The book just puts it in one place...

But I have to be careful not to offend...some folks get wrapped around the axle thinking I’m profiteering...

Cheers,

Bill
Bill, sorry to learn about the stroke. I wish you the best recovery.

Even if I had been mindful of it I would still wonder about that "" because these days many new symbols and abbreviations catch me unprepared. As for the question marks...maybe I need to read more widely...

This response is delayed because I thought I would search for and read up those allegation or hints about "profiteering". But I have not been able to get down to the search! Personally I have never had a shadow of suspicion. On the contrary, as I remember you were reluctant and modest in letting us know about the book before publication, beyond a passing mention, and had to be persuaded to post about it.

I would think it will be ideal for optics retailers to have it around as reference for the staff. Hope they catch on to that idea...

If the Alpens do not work out, I would opt for the Leopold or Meopta. I procured a 10X50 Engage, while I like the Bushnell Forge models in 8 and 10X42, the Engage 10X50 states that there is 15 mm ER, the eye-cups are too short for the provided ER, so I would assume the 12X50s are about the same. Optically, you would not be impressed.

The Monarch 8X42 is a nice glass, and while the eye-cups fit my facial features well, many have complained of them being a bit large in diameter. Nice wide field of view, but it is no SF.

Andy W.
Thanks for the useful information.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back