• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Paramo Pajaro jacket (1 Viewer)

Mike Johnston

Look out for this new Paramo jacket, to be launched at the Birdfair. Designed with birders, etc. in mind, rather than climbers, it also has an ecological aspect, alongside Paramo's commitment to fair trade. Seemingly, "for every Pajaro jacket sold, Paramo will donate sufficient money to Trees For Life to plant a sapling in the Caledonian forest. The idea is both to reduce the carbon footprint of the jacket and to restore the once massive forest to 600 square miles in the north-central Highlands." Sounds great. Jacket, however, is £250. But you can convince yourself it was ecologically worth it! :t:

Attachments

• Pajaro jacket.jpg
    Pajaro jacket.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Paramo Parajo

Mike Johnston said:
Look out for this new Paramo jacket, to be launched at the Birdfair. Designed with birders, etc. in mind, rather than climbers, it also has an ecological aspect, alongside Paramo's commitment to fair trade. Seemingly, for every Pajaro jacket sold, Paramo will donate sufficient money to Trees For Life to plant a sapling in the Caledonian forest. The idea is both to reduce the carbon footprint of the jacket and to restore the once massive forest to 600 square miles in the north-central Highlands. Sounds great. Jacket, however, is £250. But you can convince yourself it was ecologically worth it! :t:

How did you find out about this jacket Mike, as I had heard something about a new birder's jacket but Paramo said "wait till the birdfair".......is there a web link or something? Thanks.

PYRTLE said:
How did you find out about this jacket Mike, as I had heard something about a new birder's jacket but Paramo said "wait till the birdfair".......is there a web link or something? Thanks.
Sorry, i didn't realise it was a big secret! Bird Watching magazine are giving 5 away this month. I got the pic and info HERE.

Oh, I dunno - it looks like a very well-designed "all round" waterproof to me.

I don't need something that would keep me alive at 25,000 feet, but a jacket that would work for anything I'm likely to encounter in the real world is an attractive proposition.

Keith Reeder said:
Oh, I dunno - it looks like a very well-designed "all round" waterproof to me.

I don't need something that would keep me alive at 25,000 feet, but a jacket that would work for anything I'm likely to encounter in the real world is an attractive proposition.
Keith I would go for your home grown product a Barbour.

POP

Hi Pop,

never been able to get away with waxed cotton, I'm afraid - it's heavy, goes stiff in the cold, gets heavier in rain, needs too much maintenance...

Smells nice though!

;)

Keith Reeder said:
Hi Pop,

never been able to get away with waxed cotton, I'm afraid - it's heavy, goes stiff in the cold, gets heavier in rain, needs too much maintenance...

Smells nice though!

;)
Brilliant coats though Keith.

POP

I have recently bought the Paramo Pajaro jacket from www.outdoorworldltd.co.uk .
They sell it for £229.99 delivered, It is by far the best waterproof jacket I have worn.
It is so superior to wax cotton you shouldn't even mension them in the same breath !

Jamjam

jamjam said:
I have recently bought the Paramo Pajaro jacket from www.outdoorworldltd.co.uk .
They sell it for £229.99 delivered, It is by far the best waterproof jacket I have worn.
It is so superior to wax cotton you shouldn't even mension them in the same breath !

Jamjam
Having looked at this jacket I cant quite see what the extra £70.00 is for compared against the Cascada.

POP

POP said:
Having looked at this jacket I cant quite see what the extra £70.00 is for compared against the Cascada.

POP

The Pajaro jacket has larger pockets, chest pockets and arm venting its basically the same as an Alta II but with large bellows pockets.

Jamjam

It looks a bit 'shiny' in the picture at the top of this thread - do tripod, etc., straps stay on the shoulder without slipping? Also, the zip doesn't seem to be covered by a flap, could this cause scuffing on the back of one's bins?

Often a well-made jacket 'designed especially for the birder or whatever' can be let down by a few niggly things - I love my CI fleece jacket but the little plastic adjusters for the hem are at the side and often 'click' against my tripod as I'm walking along. A very minor point, but damned annoying after an hour or two!

Adey Baker said:
It looks a bit 'shiny' in the picture at the top of this thread - do tripod, etc., straps stay on the shoulder without slipping? Also, the zip doesn't seem to be covered by a flap, could this cause scuffing on the back of one's bins?

I can't say I find the fabric to be problematic slippage wise, the zip is reversed so its just a black fabric line visable. The teeth are on the inside with a storm flap behind.

Jamjam.

Adey Baker said:

Often a well-made jacket 'designed especially for the birder or whatever' can be let down by a few niggly things - I love my CI fleece jacket but the little plastic adjusters for the hem are at the side and often 'click' against my tripod as I'm walking along. A very minor point, but damned annoying after an hour or two!
Certainly Adey the fabric on the Cascada is a nightmare if you just carried the tripod and scope on one shoulder,it will constantly slip off,you have to put the strap accross the chest,such as using the Mondell strap to carry the kit.

POP

jamjam said:
Adey Baker said:

I can't say I find the fabric to be problematic slippage wise, the zip is reversed so its just a black fabric line visable. The teeth are on the inside with a storm flap behind.

Jamjam.

OK - I couldn't make it out properly from the photo

POP said:
Certainly Adey the fabric on the Cascada is a nightmare if you just carried the tripod and scope on one shoulder,it will constantly slip off,you have to put the strap accross the chest,such as using the Mondell strap to carry the kit.

POP

A lot of folk seem to carry their scopes mounted on tripod over one shoulder ready for 'instant' use!

Incidentally, slightly off thread, my Canon camera strap 'sticks' on my shoulder better than my Optech neoprene tripod strap.

If anyone buys an XXL of these and is trading up from a decent all-round birding and walking suitable coat, I would be happy to make an offer on the old one. Can't afford a > £200 new one and can't get more ecologically sound than 2nd hand. PM me.

Ta!
Graham

I have a barbour, good but not as good as my gortex camo jacket from www.flecktarn.co.uk which cost me at the time £36 I think with matching legging/bracers, now they are just over £40 but for gortex it's a giveaway. I have been wearing mine regulat for over two years (all round, 4 seasons) with no trouble & no reproofing etc. I have mentioned this place on here before but dont know if anyone bothered to look, I am no way conected with then & have nothing to gain, just thought I would pass on a good place that may come in handy. I am not a weekend birder with a £200+ jacket to pose in, I am out 7 days in all weathers, speaks for its self.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back