• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

Yesterday I was late to the Bourn Brook, it was getting dark when a Hawk floated over and went to roost I assume.
This morning the light was murky & I could see a Grey Wagtail by the yellow on its tail.
I think I heard the Kingfisher call along the brook & later it was by the boulders & flushed out 2 Mallards.

After a week away working in Germany & getting home late Friday it was great to get out running & find some Kingfisher.
I was up and out in the dark. At the Bourn Brook I took a look at the grey bridge and just saw a Kingfisher flying off.
That motored me on to the River Rea & from the first bridge I looked from, there was the Kingfisher. Not seen one there for ages just next to CHP.
I thought that would be it but at Ten Acres I knew to look down the river and a Kingfisher was flying along.
Great!
(I might have heard another on the Bourn Brook but couldn't see it by the reeds)

Last edited:
So as I thought yesterday there are 2 Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook walkway.
I saw the first Kingfisher near the Stonehouse Brook joining, again in poor early morning night.
I then continued running to the bottom boulders and on my second look a Kingfisher flew out.
So then I checked back at the start and the first Kingfisher was then by the blue bridge island.
Pretty impressive, 2 Kingfisher on the both the Bourn Brook and Rea.

Another week in Germany so it was good to get home and out for a run. At the Bourn Brook walkway the first Kingfisher was by the blue bridge, the second one was by the concrete inlet on a branch across the brook. Seen it several times there now. Great!

I had to beat the rain so I out along the River Rea early and before the Kingfisher. Then on my way back it was by Dogpool Lane flood defence. It flew off, dazzling & gave a call.

The Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook walkway flew past me calling next to the old reservoir & was then calling by the concrete inlet. A Buzzard was in the trees down from the canal & railway. There was a Little Egret, the first I have seen this winter on this patch. The Badgers have been digging again.

I thought the rain might be too much for the Kingfisher but it was on the Bourn Brook early yesterday & today and again this afternoon.
The water on the brook was high & faster due to the rain but this afternoon it was almost back to normal.
After reports of local Goosander I knew it was time to check out Manor Farm Park lake & it was good to find 6 Goosander busy diving. Great!

Last edited:
After reports of local Goosander I knew it was time to check out Manor Farm Park lake & it was good to find 6 Goosander busy diving. Great!

That's good news. I did consider popping in there this afternoon but ended up going to Bittell instead. Shall have to head that way next weekend, when I finally see daylight again.

That's good news. I did consider popping in there this afternoon but ended up going to Bittell instead. Shall have to head that way next weekend, when I finally see daylight again.

Yeah Rob let's hope they stick around, there were 100's of fish in the lake at the height of summer.

Online weekend reports of a Kingfisher on the River Rea at Kings Norton. Seems to be favouring that area instead of Wychall.

A quick run along the Bourn Brook, it was pretty cold but then the sun came out and the Kingfisher appeared lol. It was by the croncete inlet in a tree right next to it. I have noted there are good numbers of moorhen lol & today 4 Grey Wagtails.
Back home in the back garden, a Magpie hid & stayed still so it was not seen by another Magpie who had just been hassling it. It then helped itself to the seed on the ground.

Last edited:
Yesterday & Friday, I found the Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook walkway.
Yesterday I could see several fish by the blue bridge and then ten minutes later the Kingfisher was sat above them.
Good to find a small group of Chaffinches by the Dental Hospital.

Bourn Brook walkway midday;
3 Heron, Sparrows chirping away in the hedge by the grey bridge.
Pied Wagtail on the walkway.
A Grey Wagtail flew down from the grey bridge.
Kingfisher size fish by the blue bridge and roundabout.
The Kingfisher was briefly in the valley looking for somewhere to fish from.
I think it then flew up to the hidden section past the grey bridge.

Yesterday on the Bourn Brook walkway, a Kestrel hovering right in front of me as I was on the raised walkway & it hovered over the old res. The Kingfisher flew past and gave a call.
Today the Kingfisher at Merecroft Pool & then late afternoon one flew out of the Bourn Brook tunnel under the Ariel aqueduct.

Yesterday I went to Shard End lake and saw a Kingfisher fly past the Goosander.
Then at Babbs Mill Lake there was a red crested pochard.
There were 2 Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook.
One at the blue bridge and one at the small tunnel under the aquaduct.
Another bad photo;
https://flic.kr/p/2cmxehx
It was a Female, my last photo was a male. So maybe they are a pair.
Today the Kingfisher was by the big pipes and there was one on the River Rea by Dogpool Lane.

Last edited:
I could not find the Bourn Brook walkway Kingfisher today. Then on my way back it flew past and I saw it as it went past one of the gaps after the Harbourne lane bridge. It gave a call. Great!
Several fish at the blue bridge was good as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back