• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello! Digiscoping Anyone??? (1 Viewer)

curtrobb

DocCurt
I'm new here but not old to this adventure. Essentially, I've been an amateur photography for over 30 years. I'm now focusing on nature photography particularly on closeups of flowers and birds. My biggest goal right now is to learn how to do digiscoping. I just purchased a Nikon 82mm fieldscope with an adaptor for Nikon D300 camera. At the moment I'm spending a lot of time shooting Canada Geese in the ponds around the community just to learn and practice digiscoping. I'm quite frustrated since not a lot of people are into this kind of photography -- but there is a HUGE difference between using a Tamron 200-500mm lens and a fieldscope. The latter beats the former big time.

I welcome any suggestions you may have to help me get into proper gear and cam to do this. It's really exciting.

Thanks...
Curt ;)

Last edited:
Hi Curt and welcome back.

I've moved your post to the Digiscoping forum, where I'm sure you'll get the advice you're looking for. I'll look forward to seeing some of your pictures in the Gallery!

Hi Curt,

I have an ED82A scope myself and use it for DS purpose as well as for observation.

Initially I used a Canon Powershot S95 compact camera, the DS30X eyepiece and a generic SRB Griturn swing adapter. Quite easy to use, gives sharp pictures as long as zoom magnification is 1.5X or less.

You mention D300, I guess you are using the FSA-L1 adapter? I also use my ED82A with DSLR, using a predecessor to the FSA-L1 (I don't recall the model but can check), optically equivalent to the former. It is connected to an Olympus DSLR body which provides a (slight) advantage having body-built in image stabilization. My setup supports AE, I have read that not all Nikon bodies support AE when used with the FSA-L1. The setup is capable of delivering great results but the limited brightness (something like F/13) means issues in getting focus spot on, a prerequisite considering the very shallow DOF.

The angled scope provides really nice ergonomy for observation but adds a challenge when it comes to locating the subject.

I have recently moved on using a telescope for prime focus digiscoping which provides even higher IQ and is easier to operate than the ED82+FSA-L1. I will still keep on using the ED82 for more extreme applications (long range).

My recommendations for good results: Use a sturdy tripod and avoid windy conditions, photograph in good light conditions (EV14 or better) and adjust ISO to get acceptable shutter times (1/500s if possible, 1/250 at most) you are in position to achieve great results. The main challenge is to get focus right. to maximize the likelihood you should shoot sequences while slight re-focusing between frames. It comes with practice.

I have attached a picture of my ED82A + DSLR setup.

There are lots of helpful people on this forum that have posted tons of useful information, browse/search for the digiscoping threads.

Kind Regards,
/Tord

/Tord

Attachments

• P7197230_DxO.jpg
    P7197230_DxO.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 193
Qlympus uses F-mount??

Hi Curt,

I have an ED82A scope myself and use it for DS purpose as well as for observation.

Initially I used a Canon Powershot S95 compact camera, the DS30X eyepiece and a generic SRB Griturn swing adapter. Quite easy to use, gives sharp pictures as long as zoom magnification is 1.5X or less.

You mention D300, I guess you are using the FSA-L1 adapter? I also use my ED82A with DSLR, using a predecessor to the FSA-L1 (I don't recall the model but can check), optically equivalent to the former. It is connected to an Olympus DSLR body which provides a (slight) advantage having body-built in image stabilization. My setup supports AE, I have read that not all Nikon bodies support AE when used with the FSA-L1. The setup is capable of delivering great results but the limited brightness (something like F/13) means issues in getting focus spot on, a prerequisite considering the very shallow DOF.

The angled scope provides really nice ergonomy for observation but adds a challenge when it comes to locating the subject.

I have recently moved on using a telescope for prime focus digiscoping which provides even higher IQ and is easier to operate than the ED82+FSA-L1. I will still keep on using the ED82 for more extreme applications (long range).

My recommendations for good results: Use a sturdy tripod and avoid windy conditions, photograph in good light conditions (EV14 or better) and adjust ISO to get acceptable shutter times (1/500s if possible, 1/250 at most) you are in position to achieve great results. The main challenge is to get focus right. to maximize the likelihood you should shoot sequences while slight re-focusing between frames. It comes with practice.

I have attached a picture of my ED82A + DSLR setup.

There are lots of helpful people on this forum that have posted tons of useful information, browse/search for the digiscoping threads.

Kind Regards,
/Tord

/Tord
Thanks, Tord. I'm really curious because of the interchangeability that you mentioned about using an Olympus DLSR with the FSA-L1. If that's so, I'd be looking for a lighter DLSR. You're right, the D300 has been a difficult camera for digiscoping. I'm not sure about the Nikon V1 as I haven't heard much about it. At any rate, I am seeking a lighter one. I don't enjoy using the P & S kind -- they sort of let me down with slow shutter speed and no multiple shots. If what you say about interfacing the L1 with the Olympus is true, I'd be seriously looking.

Curt

Thanks, Tord. I'm really curious because of the interchangeability that you mentioned about using an Olympus DLSR with the FSA-L1. If that's so, I'd be looking for a lighter DLSR. You're right, the D300 has been a difficult camera for digiscoping. I'm not sure about the Nikon V1 as I haven't heard much about it. At any rate, I am seeking a lighter one. I don't enjoy using the P & S kind -- they sort of let me down with slow shutter speed and no multiple shots. If what you say about interfacing the L1 with the Olympus is true, I'd be seriously looking.

Curt
Curt,

What I did was simply to use a Nikon to 4/3 adapter ring, in between the FSA-L1 and the camera body. Such as this one. (Link provided goes to a UK store, you would probably want to source from US instead). The one I refer to is fitted with an AF confirm chip which comes in handy to assess focus, there are adapter rings without AF confirm chip as well.

From what you write it's not clear if you are looking for a DSLR with mirror, or a mirrorless one. (I use E620 myself). Olympus and Panasonic have nice product line up with micro 4/3 system mirrorless cameras, compact and high performing. If you go that way then you would need a Nikon to micro 4/3 adapter ring such as this one.

The Nikon V1 is probably a great camera and a viable option, there is a forum thread in the Digiscoping section dedicated to the V1. I am not familiar with Nikon cameras though, not sure if the body will fit the FSA-L1 mount of if you will need an adapter in between. Ask in that thread and you should get an answer from the Nikon users.

Any other questions? - don't hesitate to ask.
/Tord

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back