• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you age a Canon DSLR from a serial number? (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
sorry if the question has already been asked before but I'd love to know whether there is a system like the factory code on lenses to determine date of production of a camera.

Thank you very much

No doubt you have googled and can't find the answer, out of curiosity so did I and I couldn't either !
I guess the biggest difference between lenses and camera bodies is that the latter are only manufactured for a limited time before the next model replaces it so it's possible to determine an approximate time span.
I suppose the most important aspect of both body and lens is the condition not the age. Appearances are obvious but internal wear and tear might not be. The advantage of a camera body is that at least you can determine the number of shutter clicks to see how much use it's been subjected to.

On the 1D cameras there is meant to be a date code in the battery compartment according to internet searches.On the three 1D series cameras that I have I can't find any codes.

Cheers.

Steve.

On my 1D there's a code at the bottom of the battery compartment, although I cannot read it completely, lol

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back