• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More reach with autofocus (1 Viewer)

AMM

I currently use a 40D with a 300mm F4 IS and 1.4 TC and am very happy with the results that I get. However I would like more reach while retaining autofocus.

There seem to be three possibilities:

1) 500mm F4 - I've tried it, fantastic results but expensive and heavy (although manageable).

2) 300mm F2.8 + 2X TC - not tried, but this forum has lots of enthusiastic recommendations. Not so expensive or so heavy, but I already have a 300mm lens and it seems a bit of a duplication.

3) Buy a 1 series body and 2x converter and continue with the 300mm F4 - not as expensive as the 500mm and much more portable, but I suspect that the results will not be so good (Does anyone use this combination?).

All views / votes welcome.

Thanks

Tony

option 1 or 2 will give the best results , although you would get AF with 3 the iq would drop quite a bit.
Rob.

I think you've got you options listed in the right order, the 500 f4 with a 1.4x tc will give more reach and better image quality than either of the 300 lenses with a 2x. It is a big, heavy, expensive lens... but once you see the images it produces it all seems worth it.

I can't speak for the IQ of option 3, but using an f/8 combination on a 1 series camera will limit you to using centre point focusing only, with no expansion points. AF speed and accuracy will also degrade.

FWIW, here is a full frame and 100% crop from my 1D3 with 100-400 and Kenko 1.4X at 540mm (I just failed to zoom all the way in to 560mm), f/8 (wide open). The only edit is to add a little sharpening to the cropped version...

Attachments

• 20100516_065841_7034_LR.jpg
    20100516_065841_7034_LR.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 20100516_065841_7034_LR-3.jpg
    20100516_065841_7034_LR-3.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 348
Thanks for the replies.

Tim - that crop has come out very well. That's a vote for a 4th option - series 1 body + the 400 5.6 (or the 100-400 zoom).

Postcardcv - there are some fabulous photos on your website - do you always use the 500mm on a tripod or have you tried a monopod?

Tony

Postcardcv - do you always use the 500mm on a tripod or have you tried a monopod?

I do on odd occassions use it on a monopod but most of the time it's on a tripod or a beanbag (great for shooting from the car). Just had a quick look for a sample image (on my laptop so don't have many photos on here). The attached is a shot taken with the 500 f4 and a 1.4x tc, shot wide open (f5.6) at 1/200th resting on a beanbag. First shot is resized for web, the second is a 100% crop from it, no processing or sharpening (sorry about the noise), it gives an idea of how sharp it is.

Attachments

• treesparrow_7560.jpg
    treesparrow_7560.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 260
  • treesparrow_7560crop.jpg
    treesparrow_7560crop.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 358
Yes, another lovely picture and lots of detail in the crop. My test hire showed me the quality that is possible from it and I have almost decided that that is the way to go.

One of my concerns, is that at present I can carry both bodies and several lenses so if I go out after birds but come across some insects or a lovely landscape I can change targets.

So, another question. Do you carry it in a backpack or do you normally carry it mounted on a tripod ready for action?

Do you know of a backpack in which you can carry the 500mm lens, a body and at least a spare lens (eg wide angle or macro)?

I use a Tamrac Expedition 8 (a brief review on here - http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/243/cat/26/limit/recent/date/1187216067 ) which will hold the 500 f4 attached to a 1.4x and a body. There is also room in the bag for a second body and a couple more lenses, the front pocket is roomy enough for a waterproof jacket, a small scope and a bag of bird seed (I do tent to carry more stuff than I really need). The 500 f4 tends to be in the bag on the way to a site but once it's out it stays out. I carry it on a tripod (a Gitzo with a Jobu head) over one shoulder, it can get a bit heavy but it's not too bad.

Thanks very much for that. The TAMRAC looks promising and lighter as well as cheaper than the Lowepro equivalents.

Tony

Thanks very much for your help.

I've gone for the 500mm and a TAMRAC 8x backpack.

Looking forward to getting out with it.

Tony

I would be very interested in your views on the 300f4 vs the 500 if you have both. I am particularly interested in your opinion on image quality/ magnification between the 300 and 500 and the ease of use and portability.

I am contemplating going for the 500, but have no hands on experience of them side by side, so your views would be very welcome 8-P

Would it be possible to post some images of the same object taken with the 300 and the 500 for comparison in terms of magnification?

Grateful for any comments.

Michael.

Michael,

On portability, the 300 f4 is a clear winner. I love it for its quality and close focus. I use it quite a lot for butterflies and insects as well as birds.

I have only just got the 500mm, but the gain in reach (especially when combined with the 1.4 tc) has already proved very valuable. It has made the difference (for small birds particularly) between a brown lump in the middle of the frame and a decent shot. The tripod (055b) and manfrotto 393 mount that I got with it are excellent and make it easy to use.

I am still working out the best way of carrying it. Today I got a TAMRAC 9X (not the 8x as mentioned in my last post) backpack which I hope will help.

I will try and do some comparison shots later this week or at the weekend.

Hope that helps.

Tony

Thanks tony - appreciate your response. Your brown blob issue is why I am interested!

If you are out sometime, and it is convenient/OK with you, I would be happy to drive down to Hampshire - even for just 30 mins - and just see how you get on with it.:-O Realise it's a bit cheeky - but nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Michael

I would be very interested in your views on the 300f4 vs the 500 if you have both. I am particularly interested in your opinion on image quality/ magnification between the 300 and 500 and the ease of use and portability.

I am contemplating going for the 500, but have no hands on experience of them side by side, so your views would be very welcome 8-P

Would it be possible to post some images of the same object taken with the 300 and the 500 for comparison in terms of magnification?

Grateful for any comments.

Michael.

Hi Michael,

I have both, and there is no comparison. They are simply different beasts for different circumstances. I use the 300f4 travelling and for walking when I want hand held. that includes BIF. Wherever I can use a mount I'll opt for the 500, the difference in magnification is enormous, but it's portability is awful ! I cannot get much out of it handheld.

If I had the money, I would replace the 300f4 with a 400f4 DO _and_ keep the 500 !

Mike.

Thanks tony - appreciate your response. Your brown blob issue is why I am interested!

If you are out sometime, and it is convenient/OK with you, I would be happy to drive down to Hampshire - even for just 30 mins - and just see how you get on with it.:-O Realise it's a bit cheeky - but nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Michael

Where are you based? We can certainly go out with the 500mm, but I won't have much time until August.

Citrinella has summed it up very nicely and I certainly intend to keep the 300mm. I take it with me if I'm just going for a walk with no particular intention of doing any photography - just in case. I won't be doing that with the 500mm!!!

Tony

Michael,

Here are the comparisons that you wanted. 500mm + 1.4, 500mm, 300mm + 1.4, 300mm. . All taken from the same point and not cropped. Sorry they are not birds, but they tend not to hang around while changing lenses!!!

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_EOS 40D8302896_700.JPG
    IMG_EOS 40D8302896_700.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_EOS 40D8302892_500.JPG
    IMG_EOS 40D8302892_500.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_EOS 40D8302889_420.JPG
    IMG_EOS 40D8302889_420.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_EOS 40D8302886_300.JPG
    IMG_EOS 40D8302886_300.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 177
Michael,

Here are the comparisons that you wanted. 500mm + 1.4, 500mm, 300mm + 1.4, 300mm. . All taken from the same point and not cropped. Sorry they are not birds, but they tend not to hang around while changing lenses!!!

Tony

It sure drives home the advantage of the 500mm + 1.4 Magic

Tony - Apologies for not comomh back earlier - been off line for a week or so. Thanks for the offer and for the images. They are EXACTLY what I was looking for!

I live in Hemel Hempstead and have a daughter who is a student in Southampton, so my wife is always happy to drive down and see her. I sometimes pop down to Farlington or Keyhaven, but happy to travel anywhere, even if it is a separate trip, or I can take a day off if weekends are not convenient.

Perhaps you could email me at [email protected] with some potential dates, or we can leave it closer to August if you want.

Michael.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back