• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Buzzard or Long-legged Buzzard? (Crimea, Ukraine) (1 Viewer)

it is a vulpinus-lookalike/intergrade buteo-vulpinus of common buzzard.
compact structure (proportionally shorter wings) and pale medium coverts bar clinch the ID. reddish tail is not uncommon among eastern buzzards, occures in western/central european buzzards as well, though.

I am not saying Lou is wrong (as the bird looks adult, the barred tail points also towards Steppe rather than LLB), but are there any more pictures? Some strange things going on with those Eastern Buteo. ;)

Steppe Buzzard for me too - comparison bird shown

Well that one is a typical and easy Steppe...

As I said, there are more criteria in favour of Steppe: the median coverts mentionned by Lou, the barred tail. But both species are so variable however...
Still, on a single picture, I think it's quite hard to judge the structure correctly, and actually the body of this bird is quite barrel-shaped IMO, thus not exactly what I would expect from a Steppe.

khustochka, what colour were the lesser underwing coverts?brownish?rufous?orangish?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back