• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Breaking Bad" TV show bird (1 Viewer)

ehrodz

Any "Breaking Bad" TV show fan who can identify the bird or type of bird that flies off when the large truck drives onto the Railroad tracks about three-fourths into the fifth episode of the fifth season. The truck stops the train so that Walter and friends can drain a RR car of the chemical he uses to make Meth. I am curious because the bird looked somewhat like a water type bird to me which would be strange in the middle of the Arizona desert.

Thanks.

I would never expect Breaking Bad to make an appearance on birdforum. I remember the scene but vaguely remember the bird but I can vouch the show is one of the best ever created.

I believe this is the bird the OP is on about...it is difficult to get a good pause on a moving image.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
It has a lot of white or pale tones. Could it be a male Northern Harrier? There's a nice little open field there. just a wild guess. I'm sure I'm wrong lol.

Yeah, the movement didn't match the wingbeats at all. Looked edited in - not necessarily CGI, could be a real bird that was pasted on to the video in postproduction.

Like the OP, I got a kind of a seagull impression.

edit: on closer review, a strong headwind might explain the odd movement. And I'm not sure the wings are narrow enough for a seagull.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's the video quality, but the way it moves seems fake. Might be completely or mostly computer animated.

That's because of the quality of the video clip (almost in slow motion). I know most of the time when you see a group of bird flying in a movie that it's computer animated, and it's obvious for us birder because the wing beats are not natural.
But it's not the case here. If you watch the sequence in good quality as I just did, it's quite clear the bird is a corvid and almost certainly a Raven.

Raven (probably Chihuahuan (fka White-necked) Raven) was my thought as well. The bird appearing light due to reflection of light on the feathers. Would be the most likely bird that size in that area and habitat behaving like that (assuming it was shot in New Mexico where the fictional show is set).

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for the help with this bird, guys. I think, given J. Moore's observation about its color and nartreb's observation about a possible head wind and the location, Tib's call that it is a Raven it most likely right.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back