• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Minerva 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Here are some pics of Nikon's 8 x 30 and some other 8 x 30's thanks to Holger Merlitz.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/nikon8x30.html

The Nikon's appear to have larger prisms if the design of the housing means anything.
Bob

Hi Bob,

they look pretty different don't they?

I compared the Minervas with a pair of Opticron SRGA 8x32s in a shop today. They are very similar. Apart from the extra 2mm objective and rubber armour on the SRGA they are identical.
There is a clear line of ancestry from Opticrons Elites to the Minervas to the SRGAs.
I expect the SRGAs have better coatings than the MInervas but in the brief time I had both of them together, I couldn't see any difference in the views throught them.

I like the SRGAs but I prefer the appearance of the Minervas, their lack of armour makes them appear a lot smaller and lighter and older.

What you're saying is- stop obsessing and be happy with what you've got...;)
If you find out how to do that, let me know...I´ll pay good money for a cure!;)

Those binos look gorgeous, Martin. Judging from the window-frame beside them, they almost look like compacts....I bet they´d fit in a reasonably-sized jacket pocket. They certainly look smaller and less "wide and stubby" than the EII´s. I love the big wide focussing wheel too, looks very comfortable. Enjoy those bins and thanks for the photos!

Minerva update

Hi,

a quick update. Not much to report but I have weighed them on the kitchen scale. They are 570g as per the spec.

Been out again today and am still very impressed. It was a very dark overcast rainy day but the Minervas were bright right up until dusk. I didn't get them wet at all so no feedback on watertightness!

I have decided that the best thing about them is the focus. It is very fast and very precise. The fastness is counteracted by a stiff focus wheel so with very little practice the tendency to go past perfect focus point that I had at first, soon disappeared and focussing became rapid and precise.
This is also aided by a good depth of field and the fact that the wheel is centrally placed and very wide.

Colours are very well represented with no difference between wht I see by eye or through the bins. They make my Meoptas seem quite warm and yellow in comparison.

That's about it really.

Inspired by my new porros I tried out Swaro Habicht 10x40s in ashop. i shall post in the Swaro section. They didn't have the 8x30 mosel- drat!

Cheers,
Martin.

If you find out how to do that, let me know...I´ll pay good money for a cure!;)

Those binos look gorgeous, Martin. Judging from the window-frame beside them, they almost look like compacts....I bet they´d fit in a reasonably-sized jacket pocket. They certainly look smaller and less "wide and stubby" than the EII´s. I love the big wide focussing wheel too, looks very comfortable. Enjoy those bins and thanks for the photos!

They are indeed very weeny. They'll fit inthe pochet of a jacket no problem. They're only 4 inches high.
Your right about the focus wheel. It is comfortable and it's key to the focusabilty (real word or have I made a new one?) of them.

I love that 3D thing. I shall keep using them as my main bin when it's dry and find out if I'll still love them in a while from now.

Bit late chiming in here, but just read this thread and am excited to discover that someone else on the planet actually owned a pair of Opticron Elite 9x35's |8)|, which must surely be a rarer beast than even the Minerva models.

Martin, you may be interested to know that 25 years ago I also bought a pair of Elite's, which I am still using to this day. They have had a serious amount of use over the years so do look they're age as the leatherette is pretty worn in places. Hence I've not attached a photo of them but here's an image of the Elite's from an old "British Birds" mag which may bring back some fond memories for you. |=)|

Spec reads - weight 24oz, fov 375ft at 1000 yds 7.3 degrees, c/f 12ft, 1984 price £157.

Tony

Attachments

• DSCN6508.JPG
    DSCN6508.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 160
Bit late chiming in here, but just read this thread and am excited to discover that someone else on the planet actually owned a pair of Opticron Elite 9x35's |8)|, which must surely be a rarer beast than even the Minerva models.

Martin, you may be interested to know that 25 years ago I also bought a pair of Elite's, which I am still using to this day. They have had a serious amount of use over the years so do look they're age as the leatherette is pretty worn in places. Hence I've not attached a photo of them but here's an image of the Elite's from an old "British Birds" mag which may bring back some fond memories for you. |=)|

Spec reads - weight 24oz, fov 375ft at 1000 yds 7.3 degrees, c/f 12ft, 1984 price £157.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I wish I still had my Elites (don't know where they went, just got lost at some point). I've just recently started using contact lenses so I can use a lot more bins and get the full fov now. I only ever used the Elites with glasses on so I'd really like to try some now and get the full effect.

Thanks for the specs. Very interesting- 7.3 degree fov very wide for 9x. Gives 65.7 afov. Great to see the pic too.

Having been inspired by the Minerva, today I bought a pair of SRGA 8x32s (also inspired by the fact that Brinley best rates them very highly). Haven't been able to try them out as it was getting dark when I bought them. Probably wont use them til after Christmas now so I'll post on them in a week or more.

I'd love to get hold of another pair of Elites to make up a set of Opticron small porros. There's just something about them. Binocuholism has set in bigtime :eek!:

I recently tried Nikon SEs and EIIs but couldn't get on with their eyepieces and eye-relief. I like the small eye pieces of the Opticrons though, they fit my face really well.

Thanks,
Martin.

Last edited:
Oooo. Look what I found :)

Martin - we cleared another couple of geological layers from the service and repairs shelf here at Luton. And guess what I found for you?

Yup. A mint condition leather case for your Minervas :) There's also the original box and user guide/warranty card. It's certainly the last in existence as far as we're aware. PM me for a price if you're interested in it.

As you can see, it also has a rather sorry looking pair of Minervas in it too. We'll hang on to those in case we need spares. I included them in the picture for reference.

Cheers, Pete
Opticron Sales and Marketing

Attachments

• 22122009_006.jpg
    22122009_006.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 22122009_005.jpg
    22122009_005.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 22122009_004.jpg
    22122009_004.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 220
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back