• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinches Defend Niger Feeder (300fps Video) (1 Viewer)

Zathras

At the weekend I managed to film the Goldfinches in my town garden using high speed video. Its been a whole year since we first put a feeder out for them and only in the last few weeks have they been coming to visit. So it was time to get the camera out and get some clips.

Although I set out to do a garden bird compilation video like the Goslings one, there was actually enough footage to put together a whole Goldfinch video. It even has a House Sparrow and Blue Tit making guest appearances.

I've called it Niger Battles @300fps, you'll see why. ;)

Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:
Very enjoyable, thanks for posting the video. The closed-wing pauses during the goldfinches flight are very dramatic.

I love goldfinches and we get them so rarely though I am not that far from you! Why not put your videos on BirdForum TV? I am sure people would enjoy seeing them.

I love goldfinches and we get them so rarely though I am not that far from you! Why not put your videos on BirdForum TV? I am sure people would enjoy seeing them.

Until a few weeks ago Goldfinches were completely absent from my garden. It was only a single occasion about a year ago when I saw just one in the garden, but not eating anything, that I knew they must be about. I bought a niger feeder that week and it sat there full and uneaten for best part of a year since. Very pleased it paid off and I have a new bird to watch now.

I've uploaded some clips to BirdForum TV previously but not of the garden birds yet, as they are hot off the press as it were. ;)

Love it...

Funnily enough, I saw some similar behviour this morning. There were 5 goldfinches competing for two foot rests on the niger feeder, and then along came our first garden greenfinch of the year (in fact, the first I've seen in the garden since we moved here 2 years ago) and despite being clearly bigger, was seen off in about 5 seconds.!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back