• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron High Resolution 7x42 porro (1 Viewer)

Although I don't know details of the 7 x 42 I have a very well used Opticron 8 x 42 high resolution marked field 6.3 degrees.
This is a beautiful Japan made binocular of high quality and completely surprised me as regards optical performance as I knew nothing about this binocular.
It was used for nature study and is unmarked optically.
It has I think been serviced probably more than once, the thin leather coating has been rubbed away in several places. The black paint is worn at the edges of the back plates
Everything is multicoated to high standards except the prisms which have high quality monocoats.
The view through it is lovely, a little edge softness, some pincushion distortion, rather narrow field and good stereo for me.
However, on this example the close focus is 35 feet for me and there is a lot of focusing beyond infinity.
it was either set up by someone who needed this focusing range or for someone who needed this.
As close focus is not important for me this is a wonderful binocular.

Many large binoculars such as Soviet 20 x 60s and others have close focus of about 80 feet from memory, some even more.
With normal porros this is inevitable. Internal focus allows much greater range but with optical complexity and more variable perormance.

Last edited:
marked field 6.3 degrees.
This is a beautiful Japan made binocular of high quality and completely surprised me as regards optical performance as I knew nothing about this binocular.
It was used for nature study and is unmarked optically.
It has I think been serviced probably more than once, the thin leather coating has been rubbed away in several places. The black paint is worn at the edges of the back plates
Everything is multicoated to high standards except the prisms which have high quality monocoats.
The view through it is lovely, a little edge softness, some pincushion distortion, rather narrow field and good stereo for me.
However, on this example the close focus is 35 feet for me and there is a lot of focusing beyond infinity.
it was either set up by someone who needed this focusing range or for someone who needed this.

Your 8x42 sounds exactly like the 7x42 I just sent back. Being a birder not a astronomer, the close focus is important to me. A shame, because I really liked the bins apart from that. That had a defininite feel of quality and a very pleasant view. I could put up with the narrow fov because the view is so nice. In the same way that others like the more modern Opticron HR WP- the narrow fov can be lived with because the view is so good.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back