• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dioptron vs. High Resolution (1 Viewer)

davpen

On a whim I've just bought a used pair of Opticron Dioptron 8x32 porros. One of the reasons I got them was that their specs and appearance seemed to match exactly with those of the 8x32 version of the old High Resolution (HR) series.

I've previously used and enjoyed the 8x42 HRs but had never even heard of the Dioptron series. So, I'm wondering if the Dioptrons are a rebadged High Resolution (or vice versa) or, if they aren't, how they differ from each other. There seems to be very little information about them on the web.

Thanks.

David

Last edited:
A late reply I know, but not been here for a while. I got the 8x32 dioptrons around 20 years ago. At the time the HR's were the next grade up in the price range, but looking through both side by side at field event I couldn't honestly see any difference. The Dioptrons are a nice bright model with a good FOV and have served me well. I still use them as 'dog walking bins' as they are so small and light. After all these years they are quite battered now (but still good optically) and are being replaced by some Opticron SRGA 8x32 porros which I've just bought. The Dioptrons will now reside in the car. Always good to have some to hand!!!

Thanks Steve, that's helpful. I must admit I can't help liking the Dioptrons. Only problem really is their low eye relief, making them awkward to use when wearing glasses.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back