• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you ID a Red-shouldered Hawk if you don't see it? (1 Viewer)

alaskabirder

Jared Conaway
During a 7 hour layover in Portland, OR, I went to a place called Holliday Park. I heard what sounding like a gull, but after consulting the local Audubon website, I found that Red-shouldered Hawk matched what I heard!

Unfortunately I never saw the bird, so how do I know if it's really a Red-shouldered Hawk and not another Steller's Jay? Are Steller's Jays quieter? The bird I heard made a sound that carried and echoed as it called from a very large oak. Red-shouldered Hawk would be a lifer for me!

That's hard to say because Jays are great mimickers of RS Hawks. They do it all the time here.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We’re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Most people err on the side of caution when it comes to identifying birds they haven't seen/recorded if they are at all unsure of the id.

Many people don't count 'heard only' birds as life birds.

In short, wait until you definitely encounter one and enjoy it properly, imo. If you hear it too you can always upgrade this earlier encounter if totally sure (but not much point in some ways).

And welcome to BF!

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back