• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull at Sale Water Park. (1 Viewer)

alanp

Hi I have just been looking through some photos from Dec 10th 2018 when I went to Sale Water Park to look for a Yellow Legged Gull reported there. The light was very poor and I have just found this this photo I took and wonder if the bird on the right is the Yellow Legged Gull. Its a poor photo but the wings look pale grey to me, but I am not good on gulls.

Attachments

• 596.   Gull at Sale Water Park 10th Dec 2018 rezized.JPG
    596. Gull at Sale Water Park 10th Dec 2018 rezized.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 143
It looks like a light mantled gull with yellow legs - but not sure you can rule out a 'yellow-legged herring gull' or a LBxHG hybrid from those pics.

I'm getting more of a "Yellow-legged Herring" vibe thanks to posture (but its clearly in an awkward position) and apparently heavily streaked head. Primary pattern might help, but I can't remember the crucial facts off the top of my head.

It looks like a light mantled gull with yellow legs - but not sure you can rule out a 'yellow-legged herring gull' or a LBxHG hybrid from those pics.

I’ve not had the pleasure of seeing a “yellow-legged” Herring Gull, presumably they are more likely of occurrence at a site that has reported a Yellow-legged Gull, when one has not been flagged previously as being present, thus might cause confusion. I suppose on probability, your theory would take serious consideration?

I have seen yellow-legged Herring Gull in Finland; I'm certainly not sure of the identification based on this photo; perhaps one of the forum members may have seen the original bird and can confirm this is it? As for probabilities, Yellow-legged Gull is a difficult species to find in NW England, and Fenno-Scandian birds certainly make it here. All I am sure of, is that I would not "tick" this bird as Yellow-legged based SOLELY on this photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back