• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron bins (1 Viewer)

Apologies if I have missed any earlier threads but will there be anything new from Opticron on the scope front in 2012?

Cheers
Andy

Thanks Rob. Do you know when they will get their first stocks?

My plan is to take along my Nikon Monarch 8x42's (Mk3) and test them alongside:

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43
Opticron BGA HD 8x42
Opticron ED-X 8x42

The plan will be to buy the winners and return the Nikon's shortly afterwards - I have until end of Jan to return them via Amazon.

I recently had bought the Hawke's in order to test them alongside My Nikon's in the field but they went faulty within an hour; left barrel stopped focussing :-(

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. Do you know when they will get their first stocks?

My plan is to take along my Nikon Monarch 8x42's (Mk3) and test them alongside:

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43
Opticron BGA HD 8x42
Opticron ED-X 8x42

The plan will be to buy the winners and return the Nikon's shortly afterwards - I have until end of Jan to return them via Amazon.

I recently had bought the Hawke's in order to test them alongside My Nikon's in the field but they went faulty within an hour; left barrel stopped focussing :-(

Hi Falco,

They should have stock now, I know that Viewpoint already have stock of the Verano BGA HD 8x42 in Dorking, but you will have to give them a call to see if they have received the ED-X 8x42.

Ask to speak to Neil or Adele:
Tel: 01306 778608

They are very friendly, helpful and know their stuff.

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. Will LCE in Reading be getting stock anytime soon?

Any details you can share re: specs? Tried the Opticron site but no details there yet.

Last edited:
Sorry Falco, no pics yet. Lce Reading are looking to stock them in January, but if you call and ask them they might get them in for you to look at.

Last edited:
RRP is £299 for 8x42 and £309 for 10x42. There will be full info with pics and all the usual stuff on the Opticron website very soon... will keep you all posted.

£309 for the 10x42 ED-X ! This is around £100-£120 cheaper than the BGA HD ! Is that right or am I missing something ?

I got the verona's hd for £375.looking forward to seeing the optricon ed'x.hope I'm not blown away by them too could be dear times,got wedding to pay for.

So does the ED-X sit below the BGA HD's in the Opticron range or above. The price suggests below...but ED glass would suggest above...

Rob, can you help?

FalcoSingh

ED-X in price order

Aurora BGA
DBA S-Coat
Verano BGA HD
Countryman BGA HD
New ED-X
Explorer WA
Discovery WP PC

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Thanks Chris.

Just wanted to know more about how it sits amongst the range given it's ED glass, yet it being cheaper than many others that don't have ED glass.

I guess specs, design, materials, performance would answer that query ;-)

Thanks Chris.

Just wanted to know more about how it sits amongst the range given it's ED glass, yet it being cheaper than many others that don't have ED glass.

I guess specs, design, materials, performance would answer that query ;-)

Falco,

The ED-X sits where it is in our range mainly because it is a Chinese product. Anything above the ED-X in the Opticron range is from Japan and is made using a higher grade materials and therefore has a better build quality and performance.

As Pete has stated before on this forum, to bring a Japanese ED Binocular to the UK market it would push the SRP nearer the £1000 mark, which is not Opticron's market. However pitching a Chinese ED Binocular over £400 would be pushing the limits because the build quality would not make the grade for that price bracket.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. Was just wondering if it had the potential to trump the BGA HD bins regarding sharpness, brightness etc. given that it uses ED glass - from what you're saying the BGA HD are better quality in all respects...apart from price :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back