• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Garden Birdwatch 2012 (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Just finished my hour it was good here are my results.

Blackbird 4
Blue Tit 10
Dunnock 8
House Sparrow 3
Feral Pigeon 1
Jackdaw 1
Chaffinch 1
Long Tailed Tit 1(first garden visitor to my garden)
Wood Pigeon 4
Great Tit 6
Magpie 5
Wren 3

Last edited:
I had:

1 collared dove
2 blue tits
7 house sparrows
4 starlings
1 goldfinch
1 dunnock
2 magpies

aaaaaaannnnnnnnd:

3 redpoll!

Last weekend I had about 12 goldfinches, so a bit disappointed they didn't show up to be counted!

A very mundane day

3 blue tits
8 goldfinch
1 woodpigeon
1 blackbird
3 starling
3 greenfinch
1 magpie
3 chaffinches
1 robin

all results are worth reporting even if you get no birds... it is all valuable info.

Hi there

I did my hours worth this afternoon, submitted it to the RSPB, and the results are as follows:

Blackbird - 2
Blue Tit - 2
Carrion Crow - 1
Collared Dove - 1
Dunnock - 1
House Sparrow - 3
Long tailed Tit - 2
Magpie - 1
Starling - 25
Woodpigeon - 1

The Carrion Crow was a fly over , and the Magpie scared off all the birds at one stage by landing on the lawn so I chased it off

I had my regular flock of Starlings though the usual amount did not turn up of 40 odd....though 25 is better than nothing at all.

Regards
Kathy
x

I had:

1 collared dove
2 blue tits
7 house sparrows
4 starlings
1 goldfinch
1 dunnock
2 magpies

aaaaaaannnnnnnnd:

3 redpoll!

Last weekend I had about 12 goldfinches, so a bit disappointed they didn't show up to be counted!

3 Redpoll...yes..... now is a spot to add to your list :-O

Regards
Kathy
x

Garden birdwatch done:
08.45-09.45
Blackbird 5
Housesparrow 5
Greenfinch 16
Dunnock 1
Goldfinch 4
Woodpigeon 2
Starling 3
Jackdaw 1
Chaffinch 5
Blue tit 3
Collared Dove 2
Lesser Redpoll 11
Coal Tit 1
Magpie 2
Great tit 2
Long Tailed Tit 2

a few regulars missed the count this morning most notibly the Robins, Redwings and Feral Pigeons

Here"s mine.
4 Blue Tits.
3 Magpies.
1 Dunnock.
30 Goldfinches.
8 Chaffinches.
1 Blackbird.
2 Robins.
3 Collard Doves.
1 Pied Wagtail.
1 Greenfinch.
1 Woodpidgeon.
25 House Sparrows.
Loads of Goldfinches and House Sparrows here at the moment,having a job keeping up with them seed going down so fast,earlier this week counted 40+ Goldfinches and 50+ House Sparrows,difficult to count they move so fast

I did one in the local park, yesterday, in the early afternoon and stood on the top of the hill to get a good 360 degree view. We saw much more in the walk to and from the spot and before and after the hour officially started, and didn't count flyovers, but got these:

2 carrion crows
2 blackbirds
2 wood pigeons
8 parakeets
1 greater spotted woodpecker
3 green woodpeckers
12 jackdaws
1 magpie
1 robin
2 chaffinches
7 starlings

I then decided to do one in my garden right after dawn, this morning. Normally, I have quite a few birds visiting my feeders, especially since my garden is pretty tiny and there are cats *everywhere*, including ours.

Today, no cats, but nothing very exciting, birdwise either!

I sat for 45 minutes and only saw 1 collared dove! In the last 10-15 minutes there was a bit more activity and my eventual, fairly mundane, list was:

3 collared doves
3 wood pigeons
1 robin
4 starlings
1 blackbird
1 parakeet.

I could hear the birds all around, so hopefully some other people in the surrounding area were doing a watch and the birds were visiting them today.

We had a pretty good GBW this morning. Most of what we would expect turned up within the hour...8.30 to 9.30.

Greenfinch 21
Chaffinch 18
Blackbird 4
House Sparrow 7
Tree Sparrow 5
Woodpigeon 6
Goldfinch 2
Robin 2
Yellowhammer 5
Blue Tit 1
Dunnock 1
Stock Dove 1
Great Tit 4
Marsh Tit 2
Song Thrush1
Bullfinch 2
great Spotted Woodpecker 1
Coal Tit 1
Collared Dove 3
Jay 1
Rook 10
Moorhen 1
Fieldfare 50 give or take a couple
Starling 4

Only added 4 more in the rest of the day. Late arrivals were Wren, Long-tailed Tit, Mistle Thrush and Magpie.

Lewis and Carol

Did ours 8.45 to 9.45 yesterday, and the following decided to appear :

2 Bullfinch
2 Siskin
6 Greenfinch (think that's the most we've had)
2 Blue Tit
1 Coal Tit
3 Great Tit
2 Long Tailed Tit
1 House Sparrow (amazing, as they are our resident gang !)
2 Dunnock
2 Magpie
3 Feral Pigeon
1 Goldfinch
6 Chaffinches
2 Blackbird
2 Robin
4 Herring Gull (flyovers)

Highlight was definitely the pair of LTT's, not seen them in the garden for an absolute age. Added bonus was them being on the suet block nearest the window, great views :t:

Bird watch 0800 to 0900 Vale of porlock.
Goldfinch 30+
Siskins 20 +
song thrush 1
Blackbirds 6
Bluetits 20+
Great tits 6
coal tits 8
Greenfinch 5
Chaffinch 20+
House sparrow 2
Dunnock 4
magpie 2
jackdaw 6
Cock pheasant 1
Sparrow Hawk 1
Wren 2
Robin 2
Very difficult to count so estimation has had to come into this,on the birds with a +

this years bidwatch results from Sunderland: 2 Blackbirds, 5 Blue Tits, 1 Coal Tit, 2 Collared Doves, 1 Dunnock, 1 Goldfinch, 1 Great Tit, 4 Greenfinch,1 Robin,3 Wood Pigeons, 1 Song thrush, 2 Mistle THrushes,1 Wren, 1 Carrion Crow, and 1 Bullfinch! Much better than last year, but ,like a lot of people, I haven't seen any Fieldfare or Redwings yet this winter.

First year I did the Garden watch and these were the results in Reading -

Blackbird - 1
House Sparrow - 2
Robin - 2
Woodpigeon - 2
Magpie - 2
Great Tit - 3
Chaffinch - 2

Not an especially good day for birding, but that's the way it goes sometimes...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back