• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski...8X comparison (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
Let me begin by saying I'm going to call it the way I saw it through my eyes. If you own any of the binoculars mentioned, please feel free to comment as you please. For this run of tests, I limited myself to 8X models.

Zeiss FL 8X42
Today I got my hands on a Zeiss FL 8X42. Sitting next to it on the countertop were a Leica Ultravid 8X42 and a Swarovski 8.5X42.

The FL was a serious disappointment considering some of the reviews I've read. In general, I found the overall build quality of the FL inferior to the Leica or Swaro. I don't use eyecups so I can't comment on those. Eye relief was OK and the low IPD suited me just fine. So far, so good.

I thought the diopter mechanism was poorly designed and the focus wheel dialed in/out of focus much too fast. Since we usually set the diopter and forget about it, I won't make a big deal out of diopter design or operation. Focus control is another story. Maybe it was a result of shallow depth of field but I found myself going in/out of focus much too often as I spent time viewing close and distant objects. My guess is shallow depth of field.

Henry was dead on. Off-center sharpness in the 8X I tested was not good and I think the argument "Put the bird in the center" is ludicrous when applied to a $1400 binocular. What do I mean by not good? I mean unacceptable to a discriminating eye. If Stephen Ingraham really said this bin is optically better than an SE 8X32 I want to talk to him. Brighter? Probably. Sharper? NO. Easier to use? NO. A more pleasing view? Not to me it wasn’t! Enough said.

The topic of selecting from a group of bins arose in respect to the FL so maybe, just maybe, the 8X I looked at was at the bottom of the quality pile. I don't know and I don't care because I expect every $1400 bin to meet very high quality standards. Should any of us expect less? I put the FL aside wondering what it was people were impressed by.

Leica Ultravid 8X42 and Swarovski EL 8.5X42
We've all read opinions about these two bins, so here's one more. Both bins are exceptionally pleasing to use. I think the Ultravid 8X was a smidgen brighter and perhaps a gnat's hair sharper. They were so close to my eye I found myself going back and forth, preferring one then the other and back again. In the end, I decided I preferred the EL. Here's why.

The edge sharpness of the Ultravid is good, but inferior to the EL. Forget about measurements; it's about perception. The image in the EL window is presented more uniformly than in the Ultravid and, as a result, there is less visual stress. It's more about what isn't there (distortion, fuzziness, etc.) than what is.

I tested the EL and the Ultravid outside. I remember the EL handling flare a bit better than the Ultravid, but I didn't spend much time on it. It was just a quick impression. It seemed like the Ultravid was a gnat's hair sharper but it was really hard to confirm. My gut tells me to give the sharpness edge to the Ultravid with the caveat that the EL's overall image quality offset any difference in sharpness. Again, it's about perception, not careful measurements.

The clincher was a close focus test (from ~11 feet) and the EL nailed it. The Ultravid was sharp but the image suffered slightly from the Ultravid's poorer edge sharpness. The uniform image of the EL made the experience surreal. The EL also has superb depth of field and I like that a lot. The fact that the EL would allow me to get closer to my subject is also a plus.

Conclusion:

If you are happy with your FL, I'm happy for you. There is nothing better to a birder than a fine binocular. If you are seriously considering an FL, I strongly advise you to critically examine your preferences and then critically compare the FL to Leica and Swarovski models.

I would be happy to use any of the Ultravid models (7X, 8X) I've examined. All were very fine instruments with acceptable high-quality fields of view. I think the 7X might be the better of the two models, though I've never compared them side-by-side. I did compare a 7X to my SE and I came away liking the 7X very much!

The EL does it all for me. I can pick it up, dial in the image and get on with viewing. For me, it is the better view.

John

Last edited:
Nice review John.

I here the new Zeiss 8X32 and 10x32 bins are the "bees knees". I'm a fairly serious birder but at the moment have not got the funds to buy such desired bins.
It would be great to read a review on these apparent new gems but we may have to wait til the end of the year to see how they compare in the field.

I think Swaro's come out smelling of roses in the end a lot of the time...can't wait to try a pair myself!!!

Regards,

John Traynor said:
Henry was dead on. Off-center sharpness in the 8X I tested was horrible and I think the argument "Put the bird in the center" is ludicrous when applied to a $1400 binocular. What do I mean by horrible? I mean unacceptable to a discriminating eye.
John

This and your other comments about the FL are utterly, completely contrary to my experience. I mean all of it, 100%.

I tried a pair of 7x42 Zeiss FLs today at our annual Bird Fest and found them very bright and to have good contrast. A pair of 8x42s I tried at the British Birdwatching Fair back in August were equally as impressive.

and many people including a well known optics dealer in UK put Nikon HG's above all the others optically......

the new FL might even be as reliable, durable, crisp and bright as my old 7 x 42 dialyts ;)

Last edited:
Curtis Croulet said:
This and your other comments about the FL are utterly, completely contrary to my experience. I mean all of it, 100%.

Actually, Curtis, these are my only comments directly related to the FL. My other comments were questions or general observations about what I find important in a binocular. Until today, I had never seen an FL.

I'm glad you have a pair you're happy with. The pair I looked at today was exactly as I described and Henry and Kimmo both reported on the same issue...poor edge sharpness.

Candidly speaking, I was hoping I'd pick them up and wonder what all the fuss was about. I expected to see a superb image on the order of the Leica or Swarovski and I didn't. I'd love to examine a dozen random samples, but that wasn't possible. Maybe there's a general QA problem; maybe this was a just a bad one. In any case, the image degraded rapidly off-center and I found it unacceptable. Other eyes will certainly see things differently.

John

John:

Good review. I have not handled the FL yet, but I agree with your comparison of EL and Ultravid, with the exception that I chose the Ultravid over the EL for the minutely better sharpness, lighter weight, and--to my hands--better ergonomics. The EL has the best edge sharpness of all of the binoculars I have handled, though one must re-focus slightly to sharpen the edge. No re-focusing will bring the edge of the Ultravid's image into focus.

Curtis Croulet said:

Absolutely. It reads like a hatchet job on the Zeiss FL and I think it is completely biased. Almost 100% criticism of the Zeiss and almost 100% praise for the Leica and Swarovski. John: Are you connected with any optics company, or are you a dealer in optics? (Incidentally this thought occurred to me before you posted your 'review', but your 'review' makes me even more suspicious.)

Leif said:
Absolutely. It reads like a hatchet job on the Zeiss FL and I think it is completely biased. Almost 100% criticism of the Zeiss and almost 100% praise for the Leica and Swarovski. John: Are you connected with any optics company, or are you a dealer in optics? (Incidentally this thought occurred to me before you posted your 'review', but your 'review' makes me even more suspicious.)

Leif,

You should know better! Others brought up the problem with edge sharpness in the FL as soon as the bin hit the market. I just commented on what I saw. I also omitted comments that were made to me in private because I thought it inappropriate to pass on 2nd hand comments. Figure that out for yourself.

I'm a Nikon SE fan and I don't like the beloved Nikon HG/LX line. Leica hasn't responded to 2 emails (sent via their website) and I can't stand non-responsive companies. I've never dealt with Swarovski.

Nope, I don't trade in optics.

I hope that clears things up for you.

John

John's FL review...

Leif said:

You MUST be joking!!! I cant imagine that because someone gives THEIR OPINION on a product that is something you may not agree with, you assume that they are biased and work for an optics company. Other posters have stated similar findings and have not been ripped to shreds on this forum.

That is INSANE. I have read John's posts in the past and I find them inciteful and informative. I honestly believe that he was hoping the FL's were GREAT... but he didnt. BIG DEAL!! Curtis loves them... and some others don't. SO WHAT!!

How about we just stop accusing people of bias and get back to reviewing optics without fear of getting blown out of the water.

Don

John Traynor said:
Leif,

You should know better! Others brought up the problem with edge sharpness in the FL as soon as the bin hit the market. I just commented on what I saw. I also omitted comments that were made to me in private because I thought it inappropriate to pass on 2nd hand comments. Figure that out for yourself.

I'm a Nikon SE fan and I don't like the beloved Nikon HG/LX line. Leica hasn't responded to 2 emails (sent via their website) and I can't stand non-responsive companies. I've never dealt with Swarovski.

Nope, I don't trade in optics.

I hope that clears things up for you.

John

What do you mean that I should know better?

Your review seems grossly biased against the Zeiss FL and I am at a loss how you can pan it so completely. I tried a pair and examined the finish and build. It seemed excellent and on a par with the competition. The diopter is as per Swarovski EL. The focus is very smooth. I thought the optics excellent too and the absence of CA was obvious. I have a pair on order but have been waiting over 5 weeks. Hohum. When they arrive I will check out the sharpness issue.

I won't comment here in more detail because there are already many threads that give a balanced view point of each brand. Suffice to say that IMO we now have lots of first rate binoculars to choose from.

BTW Leica USA service is often slow to respond but in my experience very helpful. I was impressed by them. (I was less impressed by Leica UK but that's another story.)

John Traynor said:
The edge sharpness of the Ultravid is good, but inferior to the EL. Forget about measurements; it's about perception. The image in the EL window is presented more uniformly than in the Ultravid and, as a result, there is less visual stress. It's more about what isn't there (distortion, fuzziness, etc.) than what is.
How would you compare the edge sharpness (or the lack of it) of the Ultravids and the FLs?

Ilkka

Donzo98 said:
You MUST be joking!!! I cant imagine that because someone gives THEIR OPINION on a product that is something you may not agree with, you assume that they are biased and work for an optics company. Other posters have stated similar findings and have not been ripped to shreds on this forum.

That is INSANE. I have read John's posts in the past and I find them inciteful and informative. I honestly believe that he was hoping the FL's were GREAT... but he didnt. BIG DEAL!! Curtis loves them... and some others don't. SO WHAT!!

How about we just stop accusing people of bias and get back to reviewing optics without fear of getting blown out of the water.

Don

Don: I am not insane. I found his review grossly unfair - he panned almost everything about the binocular - and was searching for an explanation. That's all.

Leif said:
Don: I am not insane. I found his review grossly unfair - he panned almost everything about the binocular - and was searching for an explanation. That's all.

Leif...

I am sorry for the harsh words. I honestly believe John was giving us his HONEST opinion of the FL's. I would expect any of us to give a NON BIASED opinion of optics they review. I dont understand what you mean by unfair, he just reported what he saw.

I have read many of your posts and find them to be very helpful... you obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to bins.

It just seemed to me that you jumped on John irrationally... isnt it possible that he really believes what he wrote??? ;)

I hope that opinions given about new products wil continue to flourish on the forum... I find them helpful.

Don

Donzo98 said:
Leif...

I am sorry for the harsh words. I honestly believe John was giving us his HONEST opinion of the FL's. I would expect any of us to give a NON BIASED opinion of optics they review. I dont understand what you mean by unfair, he just reported what he saw.

I have read many of your posts and find them to be very helpful... you obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to bins.

It just seemed to me that you jumped on John irrationally... isnt it possible that he really believes what he wrote??? ;)

I hope that opinions given about new products wil continue to flourish on the forum... I find them helpful.

Don

Don: There's no need to apologise as your posting did not seem at all rude. And mine to John was not intended to be rude either. He is entitled to an opinion, as we all are. However, if he dares to criticise the Nikon 8x32 SE, then I really will get mad ... ;)

Leif said:
However, if he dares to criticise the Nikon 8x32 SE, then I really will get mad ... ;)

At least we now have some stable ground... I LOVE THE 8x32 SE too!! ;) BTW, is the SE much better optically than the 8x32 LX? I have been toying with the idea of picking up a pair of the LX's to try...

Don

iporali said:
How would you compare the edge sharpness (or the lack of it) of the Ultravids and the FLs?

Ilkka

Ilkka,

IMHO, the Ultravid is uniformly sharp across a fairly wide sweet spot. The EL's sweet spot is clearly larger, but then the Ultravid is probably a tad sharper. Therein lies the dilemma if you're choosing between these two bins. A side-by-side personal evaluation is the only way to choose between them.

The single 8X42 FL I tested had an extremely small sweet spot. I also felt that as soon as the image started to degrade off-center, it degraded rapidly. Before anyone jumps up and down again in anger, let me say that the image was not completely degraded nor was it unusable. It's not like a big black spot shows up...it's just not as sharp off-center as far as one would expect from a $1400 binocular. Clearly, the Ultravid is much better and the EL even more so in this department.

Hope that helps!

John

John,

Thank you for sharing your experiences, observations, comparisons and analyses in search of a new glass. It is all food for thoughtful consideration and discussion.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back