• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand, Bangkok - species ID based on distinctive nest? (1 Viewer)

AndrewHeath

也称为“赫安哲”
The droppings at the entrance and also on the ground below (not pictured) made it clear this is an actively used bird nest. Photo taken in Sri Nakorn Kuen Khan Park near Bangkok. This nest was perhaps 1.3m off the ground above a small canal; its size is roughly equivalent to a basketball.

I waited for a bit and didn't see anything coming or going, but I could hear a soft murmuring which I assume were the nestlings inside.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Unknown Bird Nest.jpg
    Unknown Bird Nest.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Bumping this thread up for more attention.

Mud construction reminds me of swallows, but they usually nest right under a sheltering roof (e.g. the underside of a bridge).

I am dude when coming to S Asian nests, but some songbird, judging from faeces? The mud structure is a termite nest. Barbets, woodpeckers and kingfishers drill nesting holes inside these. But the bird currently nesting inside may be not the original hole-maker.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back