• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Model Opticron Discovery 8x42 WP PC Roofs - any good? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I've just acquired a pair of the above from someone I trust for £35.

These are an older model (I believe around 6-7 years old), with waterproofing but with only a 5 degree field, compared to, I think, around 6.5 to 7 degrees for the latest version, which seems to get good write ups.

I tried them very briefly last night on the local canal and the views of mallards, coots and a water vole seemed very sharp on axis, getting less distinct from around 60% outwards?

I like the adjustable eyecups and the staged right diopter adjustment. The centre focus wheel is just a little to loose for my preference, so easy to lose perfect focus if knocked or touched by accident. Other than that, they are in nice condition and seem good value for not a lot of cash. They are certainly brighter, more natural colour and nicer to use than my old 1980s ZOMZ 8x30s which are a clone of the older Zeiss Jenoptems I think - very sharp on axis and built like a tank but have a distinct yellowish cast.

I'd welcome any opinions on these Opticrons - I will use them for grab and go views while out with my dog mainly down the canal or in woods.

Many thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• Opticron1.jpg
    Opticron1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Opticron3.jpg
    Opticron3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Opticron2.jpg
    Opticron2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Opyicron4.jpg
    Opyicron4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Dave,

I hadn't realised the current Discovery had been around so long, but there are no predecessors listed in the Opticron archive section. Interesting it has a narrower fov to the current listing so clearly different, even if the edge distortion sounds similar. I'm sure there must have been various batches made in that time with some incrememtal improvements is coatings as well.

£35 really isn't a lot to pay for a used binocular with phase coating, but the sloppy focus does make it sound past it's best. It is one of Opticron's Chinese made models which carries a 5 year warranty so they probably wouldn't be prepared to fix the focus. To be honest, it doesn't sound very promising to me. If you can be patient, and can find a few more pounds, I'd wait for something better to come along.

David

It has a 5 degree FOV because it is a 10x42 not an 8x42 as described in the title. It is not one of the Mg models and has the older eyecup design. The focussing mech can be fixed however as it is out of warrantee it is a chargeable repair

I've been using the Discovery WP PC (8x32, not 10x42) for over a year now. Mines look pretty much like the one on your pics (except for the eyecups, that are slightly different). The lettering on the lid of the focus wheel of my pair says DWCF.GA and they're 7,5º (mines are a couple of years old, not sure if it's the same model).

I'm happy with them in terms of IQ (mind you I'm no expert, and my satisfaction threshold could be below that of more seasoned birders). What I especially love about the 8x32 is the compactness: they're so small and light. I think they rank among the most compact 8x32. I guess the 10x42 would have some of that too.

Cons. Very poor build quality. After a few months, the rubber eyecups became loose and now they can easily fall off of both eyepieces when you unscrew them into viewing position (I've read reviews from other people complaining about the same issue). What is worse, after a year of use (weekend, casual use, not professional everyday use), the hinge has become absolutely loose and simply folds from horizontal to 90º in a couple of seconds, which makes it impossible to hold the binoculars single handed (which is one of this model's biggest advantages, due to its lightness). Furthermore, the small rubber lid covering the front end of the hinge did also became loose and eventually fell off.
The strap is also far from ideal, which is a lesser matter, given the lightness of the binoculars, but my previous pair (a 8x25 Minox which cost 100 € less) do come with a much nicer neoprene strap which makes it a dream to carry them around your neck. Find attached picture for comparison of size and strap.

Good binoculars in term of IQ, fantastic size and weight, but poor quality for a pair of binoculars that retail above 200 € (your loose focus wheel might have something to do with that).

Attachments

• Discovery8x32_Minox8x24.jpg
    Discovery8x32_Minox8x24.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I've just bought the 8x32 and I'm quite impressed, especially with the size. They now come with a neoprene neck strap which is very comfortable.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back