• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-backed Junco Seperate Species (1 Viewer)

alaskabirder

Jared Conaway
Hey every one! I'm dying to add the Red-backed Junco to my Life List, but unlike some other birds that I've gone ahead to seperate for my Life List, I want votes on this one. I know many birders probably don't wait for official splits, and go ahead to do it themselves, because it's their personal list. So who thinks I should do this?
1)- Red-backed Junco looks like a Yellow-eyed Junco but with black eyes
2)- Sings and calls like a Yellow-eyed.
Thanks.:eat:B :)

Genetic evidence (Friis et al. 2016. Rapid postglacial diversification and long-term stasis within the songbird genus Junco: phylogeographic and phylogenomic evidence. Molecular Ecology 25: 6175–6195) gives some strong (but not full) support to RBJU being more closely related to YEJU than to other dark-eyed subspecies. Worth getting a copy of this and reading it - possible that the various official lists may eventually take this up, tho' it's likely more research will be needed.

There's a thread or two on Juncos in the Bird Taxonomy forum here that you might want to look at too, put 'Junco' into the search box.

I personally wouldn't list them as separate on my lifelist. I think for consistency sake it's better to just find a checklist you like and follow that

Agree with using a checklist rather than making your own personal criteria, but it is your list, so we won't judge you (much ;) ).

Agree with using a checklist rather than making your own personal criteria, but it is your list, so we won't judge you (much ;) ).

In general I agree, with the exception of people who fully understand the latest taxonomic research and are better placed to make their own decisions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back