• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus on Harris (2 Viewers)

Yes they think it's the same one as has been sighted in Orkney around 3 weeks ago and Skye, we also had a bearded seal here 3 weeks ago. Around for a few days but we think it's moved on again now.

Yes they think it's the same one as has been sighted in Orkney around 3 weeks ago and Skye, we also had a bearded seal here 3 weeks ago. Around for a few days but we think it's moved on again now.

Welcome to the forum. Any news today?

Edit : No sign so far, left the beach at 6pm last night.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question but what is the cheapest way to see walrus, apart from possibly twitching Harris? Everybody I know who has see one has done it on a tour. Can it be done independently for a 'reasonable' cost?

Uig timetable for the weekend. Not sure if I can face the drive but if anyone is going I might be tempted.

Attachments

• Harris Ferry.jpg
    Harris Ferry.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 33
This may be a dumb question but what is the cheapest way to see walrus, apart from possibly twitching Harris? Everybody I know who has see one has done it on a tour. Can it be done independently for a 'reasonable' cost?

A quick Google found this, I reckon it would be the cheapest option but will still be pricey I'm sure?

'Svalbard is also an excellent place for walrus, a species that is otherwise extremely difficult to find in Europe. They can occasionally be seen on the shores of the fjords outside Longyearbyen, the capital of Svalbard.

The best opportunity to see one, though, is on a day trip to the all-but-abandoned Russian mining settlement of Pyramiden in late spring or early summer.'

I think that you'd also need to be accompanied by someone with a firearm due to the real chance of a Polar Bear encounter which is specifically mentioned in this article.

https://en.visitsvalbard.com/visito...rmation/how-to-get-to-the-russian-settlements

Flights out of Norway

https://en.visitsvalbard.com/

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back