• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding advice for North Uist. (1 Viewer)

WhiteTailed22

Heading to North Uist this Wednesday for my annual birding trip.

This is my first time on this island so any advice for some great walks and birdwatching in general would be much appreciated.

Would love to see both Short Eared Owls and Merlin (two I have never seen before). If anyone knows some great spots for waders / ducks as well, please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

I have just got back from North Uist. You don't have to look for Short Eared Owls just keep a lookout when driving around. Most sandy beaches are thronged with waders at the moment. Balranald RSPB around the white hut visitor centre is best for Corncrake. Aird an Runair out past the camp site at Balranald is the Skua watching site if you get a North West wind. I recommend you look at the web site of Oriole Birding as they have a daily diary of their recent tours over there. This will give you a good idea of what can be seen. Also check Western Isles web site for daily sightings. Have a great time. Roger

Thanks for the advice everyone. Very happy to say i've finally seen a Short Eared Owl. Was only on Committee Road for 10 seconds or so before one appeared. Still yet to see Merlin.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back