• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

early trip profit (1 Viewer)

erik

cheesehead
Netherlands
Hey everyone,

Finally some time for birding again. My studentteaching takes lots of time and so, now with easter i had a free morning. I left my parents house at 6.10 by bike. Biked about 6 miles to a nice reservation. Because it was so early there were no human beings around but me. My first surprise was a male hen harrier on a roadlight along a road in an industrial area. Pretty cool start. when i entered the reservation a rosefinch (i mean bullfinch but for the understanding of the replies i'll leave it this way:)) crossed my path and there were blackbirds ALL over the place. When i parked my bike i walked along and soon i saw many jays flying around searching for nest materials. They are still stunning birds to me! On a small moorlake were some tufted ducks and a pair of little grebe. As well as an Egyptian goose which scared away all the mallards. As i walked on there was all this sounds in the fallen trees and soon i found out there were a lot of mice wandering around. I saw one Hazelmouse (?) from pretty close. The GS Woodpeckers were hammering everywhere and the pheasants were courting so i heard. I followed the sound and was suddenly scared by the sound right behind me. Two pheasants chased after each other fighting for the hen. She was the smartest and flew away. A Hare was at 10 feet distance but decided to stay where he was.
Later on a Goshawk flew over my head and disappeared behind the trees. More sightings this morning:

Deer
Lesser Whitethroat
Nightingale
and the normal stuff: finches, tits and so on.

I as well donated some blood to early mosquitos, luckily the ticks weren't showing yet.

This was my three hour trip. I had a splendid day, i hope you all can say the same about your Easter weekend!

Last edited:
Hi Erik,

Nice trip!! Nice to know I'm not the only birder who uses a bike to go birding!

Is the 'Hazelmouse' a Hazel Dormouse (Muscardinus avellanarius)?

A Rosefinch is very early, I thought they did not usually arrive in Europe until mid or even late May? Could it be something else (what is the Dutch or Latin name of the bird you saw??) - Rosefinch is Roodmus in Dutch.

Wish I got Nightingales here, but I'm too far north :-((( But I saw two Ring Ouzels (Beflijster) a couple of days ago, I guess they are not so common in the Netherlands?

At least no mosquitos here yet!

Happy Easter,

Michael

Hey Michael, Question:
How come you know any dutch names???
About the mouse, i don't know too much about mice so i guess it might be what you wrote down. It's Hazelmuis in dutch, since you might know that as well :)
About the rose finch, i made a mistake indeed...i thought i knew the english birdnames by heart yet, but once again i failed :D
It was a bullfinch...
About the bike: Since i dont have money for a drivers-license i use a bike as transportation. Being dutch it quite fits :)

Thanks for the note!

Hi Erik,

I've missed your trip reports of late, but this is a great report to start off again and a very interesting day out for you.

Hiya Erik!

Very easy . . . one of my bird books has all the bird names in 7 different languages as well as English and Latin, and one of them is Dutch :) (the others are French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish and Russian). Have not got the same for mammals, so could not look that up!

Same for me about bikes - not enough money to learn to drive. Maybe one day we should have a BirdForum cyclists meeting - here or Netherlands (there's a direct ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, too)

Nice birds, Bullfinches, I get them in my local patch too.

Michael

A good day out Erik
Lots off intresting birds to keep you're brain
ticking over seen that you are a Student Teacher.No harm in using
a bike quietness is the word,I prefer to walk to my local patch.only
two miles from base,also you see birds when you are on you're
travels,nice & quiet is the trick(Keeps the pumps in tip top condition)I also had a excellent day out this morning.No doubt you
have already read my report.
Still buzzzzzing with excitement.

Toodle Pip
Jeff Taylor

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back