• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (8 Viewers)

It seemed relatively promising this morning but not too much of note was around. There were more-or-less no obvious migrants, although I was surprised to hear a Chiffchaff singing from the 'Nightingale Bush' below the Battery. It's quite an odd place for one to be at this time of year, unless it's a new arrival. Four Puffins north were the first of the year. Not too much else out to sea except for a Harbour Porpoise. Three Purple Sandpipers and nine Turnstones were still about. A Yellowhammer is still singing on the south side of the golf course and it, or another, came down to the pools at St Fittick's.

Here's a Sedge Warbler 'behind bars'.

Attachments

• Sedge Warbler_Girdle Ness_240514a.jpg
    Sedge Warbler_Girdle Ness_240514a.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 73
Another day when conditions seemed promising but that didn't deliver an awful lot. There were no obvious migrants of any kind. A bit more was moving offshore with one Arctic Skua, three Manx Shearwaters and six Puffins, many of them quite close in. Otherwise, apart from a reasonable selection of stuff, it was pretty quiet. One interesting point is that the small pools at St Fittick's had become one slightly larger pool after only a bit of rain.

With plenty of drift migrants popping up along the coast I thought it would be worth a look round the Ness today. Yeah, about these drift migrants. They're not drifting here. A Chiffchaff was at the Battery - maybe the same one I heard nearby the other day. A Dunlin was in Greyhope Bay. A drake Goldeneye in the harbour was a bit surprising for the time of year. 17 Common Scoter went north. A pair of Yellowhammers showed well on the south side of the golf course. I very much suspect they're breeding, which is a nice local addition.

Not much is it though, considering.

Some pictures:
1. Chiffchaff at the Battery. Quite a pale-legged one.
2. Goldfinch - they do a lot of ringing round here.
3. Female Yellowhammer

Attachments

• Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_290514a.jpg
    Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_290514a.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Goldfinch_Girdle Ness_290514a.jpg
    Goldfinch_Girdle Ness_290514a.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_290514a.jpg
    Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_290514a.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 50
From local mailing list:

Blyth's Reed Warbler and Marsh Warbler along the railway line at St Fitticks fields, just inland from the ness (Girdleness). (11.26). Both birds singing I believe.

Cheers

Blythe's still there at 15.00 giving brief intermittent views, singing well though.

I didn't have time to look for the Marsh Warbler

Last edited:
Catching my drift

So about today then. It was one of those days when I guess a certain amount of hope and expectation was fulfilled, although it was all a bit crazy for a time. I started off by heading to St Fittick's and didn't get any further till late afternoon. Not long after arriving I was confronted by a very striking sounding warbler in the patch of willows between the football pitch and the school fields. After a bit of thinking, listening to recordings and getting brief views I reckoned it must be a Marsh Warbler, though it wasn't seen for any length of time.

While I was listening to it and trying to get a recording I was aware that another warbler was singing a bit further east along the railway embankment, towards the football pitch. I was focusing on the Marsh Warbler but was aware that this other warbler wasn't familiar. I put the news out, got a call from Mark who was planning to head down, and then I walked back along the embankment, vaguely wondering if the other warbler would be singing again. It was! And after a bit more listening to recordings I started getting a strong inkling that it might be a Blyth's Reed Warbler.

Mark then appeared and we spent a bit of time listening to it, getting fairly excited and trying to get views of the bird. These were fleeting but then it hopped up onto a prominent twig where it showed better. I only got onto it for a few seconds but Mark was quicker on the draw and got some good shots, which you can see here. We put the news out and eventually a few more people arrived. It carried on singing right through the middle of the day and into late afternoon, but I don't think it ever showed more than briefly. By late evening everything seemed very quiet and it wasn't heard singing.

The only other bird of note was a singing Lesser Whitethroat in the scrub near where the Marsh Warbler was. I did have a look round the Ness late in the afternoon, but it was all common birds and we can't be doing with just common birds round here nowadays.

Tonight I went to Torry for the warblers (Blyth and Marsh). First I did not hear anything but 22:30 a bird started to sing. I was standing at the football field and the bird was singing from the other side of the railroad. I tried to come closer but then the sound decreased (wrong angel). The song was slow and matched good for Blyth Warbler. I tried to get a record but it was to far away. After 10-15 minutes it started to rain and the bird stopped to sing. I tried to go around to the outer side om the railroad but I didn’t heard anything more in the rain.

Anders Borgehed

Nowhere near as glamorous as a BRW, but a decent patch bird tonight in the form of a little tern feeding off the foghorn this evening. No sign or sound of the Blyths reed early this morning, or at lunchtime, which is hardly surprising.

Might well be worth another try on a still night.

It was a nice day here today, which meant it was good for butterflies. I saw my first Small Copper and Red Admiral of the year. There's a picture of the Red Admiral below. There weren't many birds of any note, though it's nice to see that the Yellowhammers and Lapwings are still around.

Attachments

• Red Admiral_Girdle Ness_060614a.jpg
    Red Admiral_Girdle Ness_060614a.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 40
Decidedly quiet again today. The Goosanders are starting to build up around the harbour mouth, with four today. Around twenty Common Scoter went north and five Turnstones were a bit unseasonal in Greyhope Bay. A Common Tern was seen flying straight down Victoria Road, presumably coming from an inland breeding site.

1. A showy Grey Heron on the north shore.
2. A bit late, but I presume they're setting up the annual Torry dancing of the Maypole. Possibly.

Attachments

• Grey Heron_Girdle Ness_070614a.jpg
    Grey Heron_Girdle Ness_070614a.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 44
  • Maypole_Girdle Ness_070614a.jpg
    Maypole_Girdle Ness_070614a.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 55
I had my first visit to East Tullos Burn and Pools this morning and the place has great potential during migration periods,If you can get there before the dog walkers.Only a couple of drake Mallards today but good things shall come,I'm sure of It.Willow Warblers were singing from the trees around the sewage works.

Ringed Plover were still In the area of suitable breeding habitat,where I seen them last month.One bird had yellow over silver rings on Its right leg.A Grey Heron was feeding from the rocks at the Bay of Nigg,with good numbers of Sandwich Terns fishing there also.7 Common Scoter were off "The Coo",along with Eider and Auks.

Just off the South Pier,the Dolphins were putting on a show for the enthusiastic spectators and on the North Bank,a scolding Common Whitethroat was on a Rose bush.

Andrew shall be Interested to know,that the mysterious mast,tent and a few cars,were still In Walkers Park but sadly,no domestic Items to report from today.

Last edited:
A pleasant and calm day here today. The birding is a bit becalmed too. Goosanders have built up to 14 in the harbour, although most of the flock moved round to Nigg Bay. In that area and off the Coo close to 500 Eiders, mostly drakes, were gathered. It could be worth searching through the flock over the next month or too. Nine Common Scoters were in amongst them. A Dunlin and three Turnstones were mildly unseasonal in Greyhope Bay. One Puffin went north.

A few bits and pieces over the last few days - a great northern diver went north yesterday afternoon, and there was a whimbrel on greyhope rocks.

This morning, some passage offshore included 135 common scoter, 3 velvets, 3 bonxie, and single teal and red-throated diver in half an hour.

Spent quite a bit of time on the patch this weekend, mainly seawatching. A black guillemot was a nice patch year tick, (and one I didn't get last year), but there were a few other bits and pieces. Small numbers of red throated diver, arctic and great skuas, and Manx shearwaters have been passing northward. Plenty of common scoter have been on the go, and other passing wildfowl included a single RBMerg and a flock of 8 goldeneye. Curlew passage was also notable with about 60 birds noted over the two days. Great conditions for cetaceans as well, with a few harbour porpoise noted offshore.

The World Cup seems to have curtailed my forays round the Ness lately, but I did manage a swift pootle this evening. Lots of birds about on the water, but nothing too unusual. Goosander were up to 22 and there were tonnes of Eiders offshore. There were also quite large numbers of Common Scoter, including a large flock (100+) just off Aberdeen beach north of the harbour. Scoter have been favouring that area a lot of recent months, and if the numbers build it'll be worth keeping an eye on them. I also noticed a few Curlew heading purposefully northwards, as were three Manx Shearwaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back