Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

"Sparrman's Duck"

Old Friday 17th October 2014, 16:02   #1
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Post "Sparrman's Duck"

As far as I understand it the invalid name "Anas Sparrmanni" (sic) LATHAM 1790 (later, also by, Latham called "Sparrman's Duck") was apparently based on the equally invalid “Anas alandica” SPARRMAN 1788, shot (by a Dr. Lindroth) in the Finnish (at that time Swedish) archipelago of Åland in the Baltic Sea (thereby "alandica") … but the question is:

Isn't that (see attached Plate) simply a female specimen of (Common/Northern) Pintail Anas a. acuta LINNAEUS 1758 … !?

If so presumably a young specimen (darker bill and more contrasting head/neck-pattern). Compare with, for example; this photo or this one (even if the age of those certain Ducks isn´t mentioned).

Anyone with extensive experience of young female Pintails disagree?

PS. Link to full volume of Sparrman's Museum Carlsonianum III (here)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MuseumCarlsoniaIII - A. alandica.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	518258  
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 16:51   #2
l_raty
laurent raty

Do you have any reason to doubt?
Anas Sparrmanni Latham, 1790: Latham cites only Sparrman's book as his source, and the diagnosis is copied from there.
Both names are in the synonymy of Anas acuta in many works, but Nilsson, 1821 may be particularly significant here: he says he examined the specimen that was used to produce the plate, and there is no doubt that it was a pintail.
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 17:09   #3
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Not really, it was my first spontanious "Birder" reaction, and I feel pretty sure of it, at least of it being a female Pintail (age is a bit harder, especially based on that illustration) ... but since the HBW Alive Key has left the (Anas) "Sparrmanni" without any synonymity only as:
Quote:
(syn. “Anas alandica” Sparrman, ...")
I started to wonder why? If there might be some doubt?

In any case; thanks for the Nilsson text (even if I don´t understand it), Nilsson does confirm the same view, also in his Swedish texts. Though I haven´t seen anything regarding the age of the "alandica".

x

Last edited by Calalp : Friday 17th October 2014 at 17:12. Reason: typo
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 17:16   #4
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
In any case; thanks for the Nilsson text (even if I don´t understand it), he does confirm the same view, also in his Swedish texts
It's the note in the lower part of the page:
"OBSERV. Quin huc pertineat Anas Alandica Sparrm l. с. nullum dubium est. Exemplar enim, quod iconi ansam dedit, ipse examinavi."
(More or less: "Observation. There is no doubt that Anas Alandica Sparrm. l.c. belongs here. Indeed I examined myself the exemplar, that gave rise to the plate.")

PS - And, for a change, a Belgian reference supporting the same synonymy: Dubois, 1894.

Last edited by l_raty : Friday 17th October 2014 at 17:33.
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 17:39   #5
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

You Belgians sure Rule!
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 19:03   #6
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

To comment on the pic - it does look very Pintail-like, except that it doesn't have much of a pin [slender pointed] tail . . . . could it be a hybrid Pintail × some other Anas?
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 20:26   #7
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Thumbs up Good try!

But I choose to trust my "gut" feeling (as well as both Nilsson and Dubois) and doubt the hybrid theory; because not all female Pintails have "much of a pin". Especially not the young female (first autumn) birds.

See for example this link (... if you scroll down some nice pictures you´ll find a standing, "short-rumped" female specimen). Or this one alt. this one.

Cheers!

x

Last edited by Calalp : Friday 17th October 2014 at 20:28. Reason: typo
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: