Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Request for birding pal / guide near Miami airport

Old Wednesday 24th June 2015, 08:29   #1
temmie

Request for birding pal / guide near Miami airport

Hi all Floridans,

I have exactly (more or less) from 6-10AM to bird the odd city park near Miami airport. I have found some older threads about this type of birding:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=204595
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=137291

I would like to know if there is anybody out there willing to just take me around and drop me off at the airport...

This saves me a car rental or taxi (I would go to A.D. Barnes), and more importantly, I could benefit from local knowledge (I won't take my Sibley / good company + I will be quite exhausted coming from a Lima-Miami flight at night (hopefully with a sighting of Scarlet-banded Barbet).

I would like to see some new birds, but I have no expectations whatsoever (no pressure that I 'must see' this or that bird). Painted Bunting or Florida Scrub Jay alone would be awesome, but I guess those are probably not within reach with only 4 hours to spend. Some others like Eastern Kingbird, Great Crested Flycatcher and hopefully some migrating and sedentary warblers, would already be very nice. No need to search for anything I have probably seen in S-America.

I am willing to pay for any reasonable cost and even for the guiding, but I would consider anybody that is flexible and relaxed. If you are that person or you know someone, I would be happy to get in touch!

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 26th June 2015, 16:19   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I have not used him, but check this BF member: http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=64151

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 27th June 2015, 18:19   #3
temmie

Thanks Niels! I am in contact with Carlos...

Old Sunday 5th July 2015, 08:05   #4
temmie

UPDATE:
American Airlines doesn't want me to bird in Miami, so they changed my flight schedule. I am now spending that 4 hours near Philadelphia airport! I will re-ask in the Pennsylvania forum!
I guss John Heinz wildlife center is the most obvious choice over there.

Old Monday 6th July 2015, 07:06   #5
cassowary

Temmie
I'm currently around PHL and LBI for the next week; however I'm mainly working so I wouldn't be able to take time off to show you around. But you may find this link useful

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?step=...&continue.y=11

As a last ditch, Avis do 4 hr car rentals from PHL but John Heinz is so close, a taxi to/from the reserve center/boardwalk would may be a better choice with such a short time frame.

However the birding is relatively poor there this time of year and if I were in your shoes I would just relax at the airport

Mike
Old Monday 6th July 2015, 07:49   #6
temmie

Thanks Mike,

I realize I forgot to say the date: I am in Philadelphia Tuesday 18th of August.
So probably the birding will be a bit better by then!
I wouldn't mind going out of the airport just to see a couple of birds, and a taxi will do. If anyone can point me to a regular birder that could introduce me a bit to the park (not necessarily a guide, more like a frequent visitor), that would be nice!

Old Monday 6th July 2015, 20:15   #7
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Temmie, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. I have a travel coming up to Ecuador. The schedules were changes so that I am leaving from here about 6 hours earlier than first planned - but that also means I can get all the way to Ecuador in one day instead of having an overnight layover. That layover is still necessary on the way back, though.

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: