Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Smooth-billed Ani Status?

Old Thursday 1st October 2015, 17:15   #1
WGPu
Providence Petrel

Question Smooth-billed Ani Status?

I will in be central FL next week and wanted to head south one day late in the week to see if I could add Smooth-billed Ani to my life list. I notice on the South Fl Rare Bird Update that they are being seen regularly at Jonathan Dickinson SP and at Loxahatchee NWR.

Which of these seems to be a better shot?

Is there evidence of nesting at both locations?

Thanks very much.
Old Thursday 1st October 2015, 21:01   #2
Proavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGPu View Post
I will in be central FL next week and wanted to head south one day late in the week to see if I could add Smooth-billed Ani to my life list. I notice on the South Fl Rare Bird Update that they are being seen regularly at Jonathan Dickinson SP and at Loxahatchee NWR.

Which of these seems to be a better shot?

Is there evidence of nesting at both locations?

Thanks very much.
I have never seen this bird myself, but I am definitely going to keep an eye out for it now that you mention it.

Seems like your chances are just as good at either location based on the recent reports. Coming from central Florida on a day trip, I'd suggest Jonathan Dickinson over Loxahatchee NWR.

You would save roughly 1.5 hours of drive time from your round trip going to Dickinson versus Loxahatchee. Not to mention that just about two miles north of the Jonathan Dickson park is the Hobe Sound NWR, which has a scrub trail of its own and beautiful beach. Not to mention that the mosquitos are intense along the marsh trail at the Lox (where the Anis are reported), and they are not really that bad at Dickinson.

The only caveat to all this is that, as a local, the Lox is the only place I've ever heard about Anis being seen by word of mouth, it has kind of a reputation for having both Smooth Billed and Groove Billed Anis, if I am not mistaken, whereas this is the first I've heard of an Ani being spotted at Dickinson. Take that with a grain of salt, though, since these reports seem to be a pretty good indication that Dickinson is a good place to look.

Other birds to keep in mind, at the Lox you'll have a great chance of spotting a Snail Kite, and at Dickinson there is a population of Florida Scrub Jays.
Old Thursday 1st October 2015, 22:22   #3
WGPu
Providence Petrel

Thanks very much for the feedback.
Old Wednesday 7th October 2015, 13:07   #4
Proavis

Quote:
Thanks very much for the feedback.
I hope you find them, good luck!
Old Tuesday 19th January 2016, 16:53   #5
WGPu
Providence Petrel

Success!

Proavis, I should have posted this a while back, but we saw the Ani at Jonathan Dickinson. Pretty easy. Thanks.
Old Monday 25th January 2016, 00:58   #6
Proavis

Quote:
Proavis, I should have posted this a while back, but we saw the Ani at Jonathan Dickinson. Pretty easy. Thanks.
All right! That's great to hear, thanks for reporting back.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: