Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 05:08   #51
matthew_

Today I received a Swarovski Habicht 8x30W with serial no. A861212222. Swarovski said it was manufactured in 2016 in the last week of March (so just last week). Below is the picture of the box. It doesn't look like the previous box I saw at ebay. Also it has green and violet reflections at the objective lens. Shouldn't it supposed to have green reflections only? What does it mean if it has violet reflection too (and larger)? I wonder if my 2016 edition is similar to previous or more degraded or enhanced version. Attention all owners. Please look at the objective lens and see if you can see any violet reflection or if it is all green.

The best thing about the Habicht 8x30 is I can focus without using my eyeglasses. All other center focus binoculars I tried couldn't do that. I have -10.0 diopters of myopia (nearsightedness). It has more beyond it so maybe it can accommodate -14 diopters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 habicht.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	579812  Click image for larger version

Name:	green violet habicht.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	579813  

Last edited by matthew_ : Wednesday 6th April 2016 at 05:36.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 08:17   #52
Gijs van Ginkel

Matthew,
Did you already use the Habicht and how is the image for your eyes? If I read your post, I think that you worry about nothing, since the boxes the binoculars are delivered with change sometimes by all manufactureres on the basis of efficiency or the wish for a new design. Swarovski gives information on its WEB-site and in its flyers and is generally giving the correct information, so the first thing you should do in my opinion: take the binocular in the fields and use it and if you then have something to worry about share it with us.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 08:38   #53
matthew_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Matthew,
Did you already use the Habicht and how is the image for your eyes? If I read your post, I think that you worry about nothing, since the boxes the binoculars are delivered with change sometimes by all manufactureres on the basis of efficiency or the wish for a new design. Swarovski gives information on its WEB-site and in its flyers and is generally giving the correct information, so the first thing you should do in my opinion: take the binocular in the fields and use it and if you then have something to worry about share it with us.
Gijs van Ginkel
Starting 2011. Swarovski changed the Swarotop to have 96% transmission. I read maybe dennis or binomaniac mentioning the coatings in the objective lens should be deep green but why did i notice of half of it as violet. I just want to know if violet coatings was also in the older ones so I'd know if it is identical to the 2011 onwards production. This is because I have seen last year another Swarovski 8x30W with only green coatings (no violet or did I just forgot)? I'm interested basically in the transmission spectra.

In the field. It is fantastic.. perfect for my -10 diopter without eyeglasses.. many complained the eye relief was short so people with spectacles couldn't see full view.. but they can use it without eyeglasses (i'm not sure for farsightedness.. but for nearsightedness it can reach up to maybe -14 diopter)... the focuser is also smooth.. almost as smooth as the Sightron.. it will be my one and only binocular from now on (already returned the Sightron which has only just maybe -7.0 diopter past infinity and half the contrast of the Habicht).

Last edited by matthew_ : Wednesday 6th April 2016 at 08:41.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 08:51   #54
elkcub
BF Supporter 2019

I found this article about lens coatings rather interesting and informative.

Ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lens Coating Explanation.pdf (183.8 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by elkcub : Wednesday 6th April 2016 at 21:51.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 09:37   #55
matthew_

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
Matthew,

You might want to read this article about lens coatings and why they appear as they do. Every indication is that your model was upgraded with improved multi-coatings, and you should be very pleased about that.

Ed
Thanks. But I was not asking why there were colors in the reflections and what they meant (although this is secondary). I simply wanted to know for now if my model is the same to the 2011 onwards where Swarovski did the latest Swarotop update. So to all who own the Habicht 8x30W. Please take a look at the objective lens now and see if you can see violet (or purple) coating in addition to the green or whether you only see deep green. That is all. After this. I will just use it for a lifetime. I'd not get any bulky Zeiss SF or Swaro Field Pro EL anymore. And because I'd no longer need any new binocular. I'd no longer read this forum next week (which can consume a lot of time as I spent 4 hours reading the Sightron thread and others).
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 14:56   #56
Binastro

Dear Matthew,
I think that your insistence on what colours the reflections should be is unnecessary.
Also whether at certain wavelengths or overall it has 96% transmission or 95%.
It is not what you read or think should happen. It is how the binocular actually performs.

You have the binocular.
Enjoy it.

I am pleased that you found a binocular to use without glasses. That is what I hoped you would find.
It seems to solve your problems beautifully.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 15:00   #57
gunut
Registered Offender

that certainly looks like an improvement in the coatings to me, most likely to improve glare control and sounds like they also improved the focus tension .....those are the only things I can think of that needed any improvement on the habicht porro but things that a lot of folks complained about....sounds like they addressed both of those issues.....puts the old [pre 3/16] model into the collector category B4 they are even off of some dealers shelves, if this is the case......

Last edited by gunut : Wednesday 6th April 2016 at 15:10.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 15:07   #58
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_ View Post
Thanks. But I was not asking why there were colors in the reflections and what they meant (although this is secondary). I simply wanted to know for now if my model is the same to the 2011 onwards where Swarovski did the latest Swarotop update. So to all who own the Habicht 8x30W. Please take a look at the objective lens now and see if you can see violet (or purple) coating in addition to the green or whether you only see deep green. That is all. After this. I will just use it for a lifetime. I'd not get any bulky Zeiss SF or Swaro Field Pro EL anymore. And because I'd no longer need any new binocular. I'd no longer read this forum next week (which can consume a lot of time as I spent 4 hours reading the Sightron thread and others).
Matt,

My previous 2014 Habicht 8x30W had two bright yellow circles and one diffused red circle in an objective pic I took...it came from the flash and the overhead lighting (kind of like your pic)!! Depending on the ambient lighting conditions, I would see different colored hues reflected back. With very little to no direct lighting, the objectives were perfectly clear and void of any color reflections. I really believe you are good to go, ready for a lifetime of glassing enjoyment!

Ted

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 15:12   #59
matthew_

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
that certainly looks like an improvement in the coatings to me, most likely to improve glare control and sounds like they also improved the focus tension .....those are the only things I can think of that needed any improvement on the habicht porro but things that a lot of folks complained about....sounds like they addressed both of those issues.....puts the old [pre 3/16] model into the collector category B4 they are even off of some dealers shelves, if this is the case......
Wait. I don't have an EDG to compare it to which is said to have the finest focusing knob. I was expecting you need 2 fingers to turn it since I read dennis need a wrench to turn it. So when I said it was smooth. I didn't mean silky smooth. Just for reference. A one or two year old kid may not able to turn it because it has tension. While in the EDG or Swaro EL 8.5x42 I guess even one or two year old kid can turn it?

About the coatings. Is there really no violet prior to 2016? Anyone who actually owns one.. please try. Just wanna know because in the old Habicht coatings which was purple (violet).. there was yellowish tint.
Since the Habicht 8x30W would be my only binocular for now. Anyone knows where to get objective lens plastic cover that can exactly fit it?
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 15:22   #60
gunut
Registered Offender

it certainly looks like a different combination of coatings to me... I don't have a post 2011 version to compare it to... but all the pictures Iv seen show a dominant green cast........

in fact the pair I have were made in the 1950s....
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 15:25   #61
matthew_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Matt,

My previous 2014 Habicht 8x30W had two bright yellow circles and one diffused red circle in an objective pic I took...it came from the flash and the overhead lighting (kind of like your pic)!! Depending on the ambient lighting conditions, I would see different colored hues reflected back. With very little to no direct lighting, the objectives were perfectly clear and void of any color reflections. I really believe you are good to go, ready for a lifetime of glassing enjoyment!

Ted
In my model made just a week ago (March 2016). There was clearly purple and green consistently whatever is the light source. Here's the difference. When I looked at the reflection of bulb in the green, the size is the same whether I looked closer to the lens or farther away. While in the purple layer, the bulb gets bigger (and blurrer) as I got closer to the lens and it turned to normal size as I distant myself. So is the purple coating on top of the lens (outside) or on the inside lens.. how to tell.. Also is the objective lens of the Habicht a doublet? Next week I'd no longer participate here as I got what I wanted. But just wanted to know this to be aware if the colour rendition is neutral, warm, cool and what possible tint it would show.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 15:30   #62
Binastro

Matthew,
The green same size reflection seems to be from the front prism surface.
The changing size from spherical lens surfaces.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 15:58   #63
mfunnell
Registered Confuser

Dear, oh, dear people. While it's possible it's not the same creature, I'll point out that it seems to have wandered out from under a bridge quite recently, it is obsessed with transmission spectra and suchlike in a rather odd way, it is far more concerned with how things work in theory rather than practice (actually looking through a binocular seems anathema) and it has a great deal of concern about Habichts, in particular.

Stop feeding it.

...Mike

Some photos of my local birds on flickr.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 16:01   #64
Binastro

Thanks Mike,
I hope not.
If so, we should have learned our lesson.

P.S.
I wonder if Newgate is still open.
I would prefer Holloway.

Last edited by Binastro : Wednesday 6th April 2016 at 17:57.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 21:50   #65
elkcub
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_ View Post
Deleting my earlier message.

Ed

Last edited by elkcub : Wednesday 6th April 2016 at 21:53.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 21:58   #66
PHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfunnell View Post
Dear, oh, dear people. While it's possible it's not the same creature, I'll point out that it seems to have wandered out from under a bridge quite recently, it is obsessed with transmission spectra and suchlike in a rather odd way, it is far more concerned with how things work in theory rather than practice (actually looking through a binocular seems anathema) and it has a great deal of concern about Habichts, in particular.

Stop feeding it.

...Mike

Hi Mike,

Agree with your commentary, indeed!!!!

PHA
Old Wednesday 6th April 2016, 23:44   #67
matthew_

What's the matter with some folks here. I haven't tested it in the field much yet because I just received it. Although I have already seen through one like it before and can confirm how stunning the view is. But I recalled the 2012 model I tried has mostly green coating in the objective lens.. the one I have now have very strong purple coating so I wonder what are the changes. Last information I read here was the Habicht has latest coatings from 2011 onwards so expecting it to be mostly green coating (if this is the other samples indeed showed although I may be wrong)

About it in comparison with other binoculars. You know how good it is being Tobias reference binocular. But I don't want to emphasize it to put down other lesser cost binoculars. This is because people have certain budget. Some may not afford a Habicht and only afford a Sightron. It is not in best interest to bash other's binos. Owning binoculars is not about bragging rights. But about viewing at a budget. Studying and knowing the limitations would make one appreciate any equipment better. For example. I know the Habicht has the worse veiling glare of all, something the Zeiss SF has handled almost perfectly. So understanding why would make one appreciate and accept any equipment better. That is all.

Enough of theories. I'd just be enjoying the views from now on. Many thanks to all of you. I couldn't have gotten this model without this excellent forum. Let's not be too personal. By the way, to that person who messaged me what kind of strap was included in the 2016 model. It is similar to what Dennis got at ebay. See bottom of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-Ha...p2047675.l2557
Old Thursday 7th April 2016, 02:01   #68
matthew_

To conclude the above.
Well. I hate to spread disinformation. In the thumbnail you can see the image of another house reflected in the objective lens.. notice the green reflection has the correct orientation.. but the purple reflection is upside down (and its size is changing getting bigger as you get closer to the lens)! If I move the binocular to the left, the purple view would enclose the whole objective lens.. so I'm sure if it is in the objective lens or prism (where is the spherical lens surfaces located?)) as Binastro theorized. But if it is in the prism or the spherical lens surfaces behind the prism, how come the image is in the objective lens even if the prism is not directly viewed? I'm very ignorant of all this. Hence all my questions. If you have answers and would like to share it in private. I'd keep the exchange completely secret. I'd also ask this in other forums. I shared the picture here so you can find it out yourself because the objective lens may really be just green as the previous 2011 year onward batch show.. and the purple may just be from the prism (how)? Thanks for sharing. I really love my Habicht because it has sparkles in the images.. i think it's because all white are accurately reproduced and Tobias said it can transfer contrast down to the resolution limit. Being a porro and 3D that none of the alpha roofs can duplicate. I think it is my ultimate binocular that will last me thru decades. I'll start to view the birds this weekend. Happy day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green_violet.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	579917  
Old Thursday 7th April 2016, 04:48   #69
matthew_

I think I know now the reasons for the image above. I have a monocular. I took off the objective lens from the body and hold the lens itself and look at the reflections of the house. It has the same right side up images and upside down images of the house. I guess the reflections with correct orientation is the front part of the lens. The upside down reflection is coating from the back of the lens. So it is not related to the prism. Now I really forgot if the Habicht 2012 model I viewed before also had the purple reflections. Maybe there was and I just didn't notice (only those who own them can share).

Well that's it. It will be all viewing now from now on with my only binoculars and I'd no longer participate here since I won't look for new binoculars anymore. I noticed Birdforums is unique in that people seemed to become friends. In other forums.. they were purely technical discussions only. Here people seemed to know one another. As a result. Sometimes you tell what you do in life like I read in archives. So I just shared what I did. I know it was wrong to say it. I know I shouldn't have mentioned it. Hope some can understand. Thank you.
Old Thursday 7th April 2016, 15:48   #70
ceasar

You can still come back here and tell us how and where and when you are using your binocular and how it performs.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 8th April 2016, 18:36   #71
JerryLogan

Leaving, left? Or, switched back to Cloudy Nights binocular forum with same questions.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/53.../#entry7148698

Last edited by JerryLogan : Friday 8th April 2016 at 18:41.
Old Friday 8th April 2016, 19:45   #72
Binastro

Unfortunately a creature seems to exist with at least 4 different names and in different, mostly and maybe all, fictitious locations around the globe and on this forum.
The timing of the posts also supports this.

Very deceitful indeed and very bad play.
Old Friday 8th April 2016, 19:52   #73
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

As you have Jedi skills and abilities, it should be child's play to find the droids your looking for. Barring that, why not just force-slam the bino. into a wall and be done with it?
Old Saturday 9th April 2016, 00:00   #74
matthew_

I need to explain fully so moderators of birdforum please allow me to speak one last time in this final message.
The reasons for the 4 different locations was because Birdforums banned most major IP addresses in the Philippines which is PLDT, Smart Internet so all users of it can't even access and read any forums here. So I had to use a VPN software to get IP addresses elsewhere. I tried the United States via Hotspot Shield but the Moderators also banned the IP there, then I tried United Kingdom and know will be banned anytime today (but I promise not to come back anymore so let them be more lenient this one final time).

When I first joined this forum. I saw how friendly people were, they shared stuff like PHA sharing how the wife of his son will be start Master Degree in Engineering after arriving at Adelaide. At that time I was frustrated because I'm the only serious paranormal researcher in the country having studied the physics of it for over 10 years. And thought would get some feedback perhaps some idea from people who may be aware of it (because the US physicist William Tiller who studied them mentioned about some hidden light with negative index of refraction). So I'm familiarizing with binoculars to get handle of it. Of course it was a big mistake talking about it initially. I shouldn't have mentioned it. And I regret it (and asking for your understanding and forgiveness). I thought it was very common like CNN reporting about apparitions:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/23/li...s-apparitions/

For me in the Philippines. It is a basic everyday thing and as objective as a Leica Ultravid having literally interact with the world most powerful paranormals (I have seen things US researchers can only dream about. It is also critical as it can be the guiding principle in the physicists search for the unifications and theory of everything)

I live in Manila. The only place I can see birds are in the zoos. We have many birds though but they were located in jungles and only mostly foreigners came to view them but some were kipnapped by Muslim extremists. Like the following Swiss birdwatcher kipnapped here:

http://www.thelocal.ch/20120201/2447

I'm really very sorry for all this. I'd no longer open new birdforum nick and new VPN IP locations and post hidden because my quest to understand and experience binoculars has already occured. For the sake of other filipino bird enthusiasts. I just hope Birdforums moderators won't banned the entire IP domain in the Philippines because of me. I know many of your may not want to understand me and thought it didn't justify what I did. But I'm really sorry. Also in spite of all this. I tried to stay objective because one thing very important in scientific research is to be very objective and not be biased personally by anything because it's one way to derive at the truth. Thank you to those who have assist me. I couldn't have gotten the black Habicht if not for the assistant of someone in whom I have let him tested certain aspects the whole afternoon. The black Habicht is much better than than military Habicht for me because the black one is lighter, has way faster focus (the individual focus green Habicht is so difficult to use for challenging lighting conditions like dark scene) and the reticle is so annoying to have and the contrast and sparkles in the military habicht is also there in the black habicht so i'm happy to get the latter especially when it can focus beyond -10 diopter (a pleasant surprise). I initially wanted to use the military Habicht because it can focus beyond -10 diopter too but just 3 days before return to Binostore expired, I shipped it back after that sometone convinced me the views of them is similar.

Thank you all. Farewell. I'll also leave Cloudy nights and move on. Last facts I wanted explain there is to know the connections between the different multicoatings and colour renditions (I first got aware of it from the excellent introduction by "typo") and Tobias different color casts in dozens of binos he tested. Then I'm done with the theoretical aspects of binoculars. Again sorry and thank you all. I know I'd be met with more insults from sensitive people but hope just even a little understanding.
Old Saturday 9th April 2016, 14:21   #75
Binastro

As long as you keep your word and promise, personally I wish you well.

Use the binocular nicely.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: