Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

EL 8.5X42 Non HD

Old Sunday 28th February 2016, 05:54   #26
SuperDuty

Hopefully they will take care of it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdrousta View Post
very nice. I just paid more than that for a set of the 34008s, because I did not want the field flatteners.

they've been to sona recently and have new armor and immaculate glass.

unfortunately, they don't focus past about 500 feet out and the seller seems to be hoping he can convince me they do or that that is the factory spec.

I'll give sona a call Monday, be transparent about my not being the first owner, and see what they'd like to do.

I'm thinking I may just blind order maven b2 with a custom over focus and call it a day, though. apparently the 34008 focuser does this occasionally. I saw a post from a Spanish use with this issue and others from a bit back.
Old Monday 29th February 2016, 19:57   #27
birdrousta

They will need two months to get them back to me.

Sight unseen, they are not able to commit to fixing the issue under warranty. I find the latter very reasonable, since I am not the first owner of these.

I suspect it is something they will address under warranty, since the glass is so far out of spec, but I am in no position to squawk if they look them over and say "we can address this, but will bill for it."

I learned over the weekend that the prior owner is someone who uses these primarily at a target range. So he's not someone who would have been impacted by the issue; his use case is not one where focusing several miles out is important. If he can slam them into focus at 200 yards it is good enough for him.
Old Monday 29th February 2016, 23:44   #28
SuperDuty

If you can contact the party they are currently registered to and have that person contact Swarovski and unregister them, it leaves the door open for you to register them in your name giving you the full warranty. I don't know how many people know that, but that is exactly how it works here in America anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdrousta View Post
They will need two months to get them back to me.

Sight unseen, they are not able to commit to fixing the issue under warranty. I find the latter very reasonable, since I am not the first owner of these.

I suspect it is something they will address under warranty, since the glass is so far out of spec, but I am in no position to squawk if they look them over and say "we can address this, but will bill for it."

I learned over the weekend that the prior owner is someone who uses these primarily at a target range. So he's not someone who would have been impacted by the issue; his use case is not one where focusing several miles out is important. If he can slam them into focus at 200 yards it is good enough for him.
Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 00:53   #29
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
If you can contact the party they are currently registered to and have that person contact Swarovski and unregister them, it leaves the door open for you to register them in your name giving you the full warranty. I don't know how many people know that, but that is exactly how it works here in America anyway.
SD:

In the US, Swarovski does cover pre owned optics, with a solid warranty.

You don't need to worry about registration as you mentioned.

They are not alone in that respect. There are other companies that do
the very same.

Jerry
Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 06:29   #30
SuperDuty

Your first sentence is correct, the second sentence is incorrect. They cover pre owned optics with a solid warranty as long as the person they are registered to unregisters them and the new owner puts them in his name. If you don't believe me call Swarovski and check. If you buy a used pair without finding out exactly who they are registered to and they turn out to be stolen, you're screwed and your money's gone. Do as you please, but I would NEVER buy a used pair with out a clean serial #, just simply call Swarovski and have them run the number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
SD:

In the US, Swarovski does cover pre owned optics, with a solid warranty.

You don't need to worry about registration as you mentioned.

They are not alone in that respect. There are other companies that do
the very same.

Jerry

Last edited by SuperDuty : Tuesday 1st March 2016 at 13:35.
Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 15:45   #31
Subzero888

Quote:
Your first sentence is correct, the second sentence is incorrect. They cover pre owned optics with a solid warranty as long as the person they are registered to unregisters them and the new owner puts them in his name. If you don't believe me call Swarovski and check. If you buy a used pair without finding out exactly who they are registered to and they turn out to be stolen, you're screwed and your money's gone. Do as you please, but I would NEVER buy a used pair with out a clean serial #, just simply call Swarovski and have them run the number.
I hope you are right. I don't believe Swaro will service a bin that isn't "clean". If I see a pair of SV, new or otherwise on any auction site for a very low price, I will try to get the serial# and check with Swaro first. I wouldn't want to buy one if I even get an inkling that it could have been stolen.
Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 15:57   #32
SuperDuty

You're doing it the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero888 View Post
I hope you are right. I don't believe Swaro will service a bin that isn't "clean". If I see a pair of SV, new or otherwise on any auction site for a very low price, I will try to get the serial# and check with Swaro first. I wouldn't want to buy one if I even get an inkling that it could have been stolen.
Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 17:15   #33
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
That's odd. I sent mine in to SONA and they cleaned it and everything free of charge and without question - I was the second owner and never bothered with any of that.
Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 19:03   #34
BruceH
BF Supporter 2019

jremmons .... Do you know if the original owner had previously registered them with SONA? If they were not previously registered, SONA may have considered you the first registered owner.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 19:04   #35
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

I know Canadian owners of Swaro's have never had to worry about ''clean'' serial numbers. Zeiss certainly doesn't care....
Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 23:41   #36
SuperDuty

Maybe if you don't tell, they don't ask, but I will guarantee that if you ask, they will tell you EXACTLY what I have stated. Everyone can obviously do what seems right to them, I won't buy a pair I can't register.
Old Tuesday 1st March 2016, 23:45   #37
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Maybe if you don't tell, they don't ask, but I will guarantee that if you ask, they will tell you EXACTLY what I have stated. Everyone can obviously do what seems right to them, I won't buy a pair I can't register.
I would think that many new owners never register their bins. I haven't ever and I know that it isn't a factor in warranty claims - in my [and others] experience.
Old Wednesday 2nd March 2016, 00:47   #38
SuperDuty

If you're the original buyer there is no issue because you know they aren't stolen, and you have an invoice proving the SN on your binocular matches the SN of the binocular sold to you buy the authorized dealer in the database. Buying used is a different story, as I said before do as you please, it's no sweat off my back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
I would think that many new owners never register their bins. I haven't ever and I know that it isn't a factor in warranty claims - in my [and others] experience.
Old Monday 7th March 2016, 21:39   #39
NDhunter

Quote:
You are incorrect in your assumption. Swarovski seems to warranty binoculars both new and unregistered by the original owner or preowned.
I have experience with both kinds that I have sent to them.

You are correct in the part about stolen, I recently spoke to a Swaro. rep.
about a pair of used binoculars that I was thinking about buying, he told
me the original retailer, and if they were on a list of stolen optics.

I am not sure what happens if you send them one that is reported stolen.
That would be interesting.

Add: Another reason to check with any Mfr. is to find out if the optic is covered under wty.
in the country you live in. Gray market, or others may be more costly and difficult for service.

Jerry

Last edited by NDhunter : Monday 7th March 2016 at 22:53. Reason: Add on.
Old Tuesday 8th March 2016, 02:27   #40
SuperDuty

I assume nothing about obtaining service on unregistered Swarovski product. I have no experience with that scenario, nor do I intend to gain any. What I have stated is exactly what you will be told if you ask a representative to explain the proper way to go about buying a used Swarovski product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
You are incorrect in your assumption. Swarovski seems to warranty binoculars both new and unregistered by the original owner or preowned.
I have experience with both kinds that I have sent to them.

You are correct in the part about stolen, I recently spoke to a Swaro. rep.
about a pair of used binoculars that I was thinking about buying, he told
me the original retailer, and if they were on a list of stolen optics.

I am not sure what happens if you send them one that is reported stolen.
That would be interesting.

Add: Another reason to check with any Mfr. is to find out if the optic is covered under wty.
in the country you live in. Gray market, or others may be more costly and difficult for service.

Jerry
Old Friday 11th March 2016, 18:25   #41
birdrousta

In this particular case, we never got to the point where I was returning to Swarovski. The seller and I came to an agreement and he has the binoculars back and I have reimbursed his shipping cost.

I wasn't interested in waiting a couple of months to be able to use these, and I didn't get a warm fuzzy from the call with Swarovski - I didn't come away from the call feeling that they were terribly interested in understanding the problem, and the air of not quite getting it didn't help.

I'm sure they could have been repaired but might have needed to be repaired again later, and I wasn't going to ask for a set of loaners as the nth owner and without knowing the history.

I probably won't buy optics on a general auction site again. I bought my partner's Nikons on cloudynights, and I'd trust optics I bought there or here not to be oversold, but I bought a telescope on ebay that needed what amounted to a repair on delivery. It wasn't big - disassemble the lens cell, mark the lenses to get them facing the right way on reassembly and carefully clean. I did it myself and am OK with it.

With a telescope, you can do that, with binoculars, I at least can't.

I'll keep an eye out on the local craigslist to see if anyone is trying to unload binoculars I can actually look through ahead of tax time as well as here and at CN.
Old Sunday 27th March 2016, 19:36   #42
SuperDuty

Sorry this has taken me so long, but I put the 2010 and 2015 8.5X SVs side by side today. If there is any meaningful difference between them in CA control, RB (I don't see it in any SV), resolution, tint, saturation, etc, I can't perceive it. On a positive note, the focus knob on the 2010 model continues to become smoother with use to a point that it very acceptable and perfectly useable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
It would also be interesting to know if you see any differences in CA, the color balance or the colors of the coatings.

Thanks.
Old Sunday 10th April 2016, 17:59   #43
BruceH
BF Supporter 2019

SD .... Thanks for taking the time to follow up and compare the different years of the 8.5X SV EL.

As I mentioned earlier, I figured you would probably not be able to judge if there is a difference in rolling ball since you do not see it in the early production model. After seeing your note, I went to an outdoor store that had the latest and greatest new model ProField of the 8.5X and took a look at it. Just as it was with an early production model of the 8.5X SV EL, the rolling ball was profound for me. I did not have both for a side by side comparision, but based on my previous experiences with the 8.5X, I am inclined to believe there has been none or very little in the way of changes to reduce rolling ball experience for people like me.

Based on your comments on the view and my experience with RB, I doubt there have been any material optical changes to the 8.5X that impact the view since it came out around 2010. Looks like you scored well on your eBay purchase. It also appears that it had very little use since the focus has smoothed out in the short time you have owned it.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: