• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

+ Some Bonus Birds of Fanny, Edward Wilson and Mr. & Mrs. Parzudaki! (1 Viewer)

How would you explain the name etymologically?
parzudaki (either the man or the species) + suffix -ia (which in proper Latin forms feminine nouns, mainly from adjectives but also sometimes from nouns [country or territory names: Italus, Italian + -ia => Italia, Italy; qualities: audax, bold + -ia => audacia, boldness; pathological conditions: demens, insane + -ia => dementia, insanity; etc.]; and in scientific Latin is acknowledged to form generic names)...?

In Lafresnaya, the i was dropped, probably because it would have been mute anyway.

= the wife of Mr. Gouÿe de Longuemare: Madame "Fanny" Gouÿe de Longuemare, whose full (married) name was Françoise Victoire Rosalie Joséphine Gouÿe de Longuemare (1796–1873) born Marsy. "Fanny" is a diminutive of Françoise.

I am just curious. May I ask where you got the life dates 1796–1873 from this lady. I agree that she was born 22 March 1796 in Paris here and married 20. April 1822. But where did you get her death date from?

If correct the key may need enhancement by the dates.

● Purple-collared Woodstar Myrtis fanny LESSON 1838 as "Ornismya Fanny" a k a Fanny's Woodstar

Martin, as I remember it (but I´m not 100% sure of this) I think I found her as the Mother of her/their Son Henry (Henri) Victor Gouÿe de Longuemare (1823–1890), but I cannot recall the full case. Most of my "old links" seems to have been moved, blocked, altered, or is now suddenly hidden behind pay-walls. That's the unavoidable disadvantage of reawaken an old (2014) topic ... you should have asked me when it was freshly-baked. ;)

However, I´m pretty sure I found a reliable source (sure hope so) as she is included in my MS (and will stay there), even if only briefly mentioned (with "her" Hummingbird), as the wife of François Gouÿe de Longuemare (1792–1866), simply as an example of the latter's Great interest in "Hummers" ...

Either way; in my old notes (and MS) I have her (Maiden) name as "Françoise Victoire Rosalie Joséphine Marsy" (as of here, p.238), and I don't know the reason for James's ditto, but " ... Rosalia ... ".

I hope you find a more satisfactory answer/proof elsewhere.

Sorry for not being of much help.

Cheers

Björn

Emile Parzudaki

Yesterday Christophe Gouraud, one of the Authors of the Paper Charles and Emile Parzudaki: Natural history dealers in Nineteenth-century Paris [Archives of Natural History 43 (1): 76-89 (2016)], published the following comment on ResearchGate:

On the 12th of July 2019 Laurent Chevrier found that Emile Parzudaki committed suicide by revolver...surprisingly by not less than 5 bullets (Le Petit Journal, 22 March 1899, page 2, column 5, under section 'Les désespérés' ; URL: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k614925x/f2.item.r=parzudaki.zoom).
Original text reads: "M. Parzudacki [sic], âgé de soixante-douze ans [sic], habitant, 54, avenue Ledru-Rollin, s'est tiré, avant-hier soir, cinq balles de revolver dans la tête. Transporté à l'hôpital Saint-Antoine, il y est mort hier matin. Ce suicide est attribué à des embarras d'argent." [in translation: 'M. Parzudacki (sic), seventy-two years old [sic], resident, 54, avenue Ledru-Rollin, the day before yesterday evening, shot himself five times in the head. Transported to Saint-Antoine hospital, he died there yesterday morning. This suicide is attributed to money problems'].

NOTE: Emile Parzudaki died at the age of 69, not 72.
[here]​
Enjoy!

Björn

I see no real evidence that Charles travelled either. But, if Émile did not travel at all, then we have here a legend that started as early as 1854, when Bonaparte described Macropygia emiliana, calling Émile Parzudaki explicitly "un jeune naturaliste voyageur [...] qui nous l'a fait remarquer" [here].
Correct and I have seen that as well but

1) Bonaparte did not mention where he travelled. May indicate he did not know Emile at all.
2) There seems to be no other evidence that he travelled and collected according the article and Macropygia emiliana is part of the publication as well.
The Museum national D'Histoire natural cite Emile P. as collector of the type of this bird and one from the Philippines and one from Brazil etc.
https://science.mnhn.fr/all/list?recordedBy=Parzudaki, Emile . But that is not what Bonaparte said. He said merely that Emile P. was a naturalist and voyageur. The Museums paraphernalia state that M. emiliana was acquired from Mr. Parzudaki, and one other says it was from Mr. Parzudaki's collection. Does the use of Voyageur mean going around the world? Or maybe Emile went to Greece or Spain?
https://science.mnhn.fr/institution/mnhn/collection/zo/item/mo-2002-547?listIndex=2&listCount=8 .
I would have more to say but BHL is down.
... and onwards, in the questions/queries of their travels (or not).

Yesterday Christophe Gouraud (one of the Authors of the Paper; Charles and Emile Parzudaki: Natural history dealers in Nineteenth-century Paris [Archives of Natural History 43 (1): 76-89 (2016)] posted yet another short comment on ResearchGate (here):
Töpfer (2020) recently published an article on the correspondence between Emile Parzudaki and Robert Champley on the latter's acquisition of three Great Auk eggs, now housed in Bonn museum. The study of these letters by Till Töpfer shows that it was in fact Charles Parzudaki who traveled to Egypt and not Emile Parzudaki as suggested by Gouraud et al. (2016). Töpfer (2020) confirms the rest of the biographical information provided by Gouraud et al. (2016).

Reference:

Töpfer T. (2020) - Great auk (Pinguinus impennis) eggs in Bonn: correspondence between Emile Parzudaki and Robert Champley. Archives of Natural History 47(2): 319-324.

... which takes us here (or here):
ABSTRACT: Although Charles and Emile Parzudaki were well-connected natural history dealers of nineteenth-century Paris, many aspects of their life and work remain unknown. The example of two letters from Emile Parzudaki to Robert Champley that accompanied three great auk (Pinguinus impennis) eggs to the Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig in Bonn reveal new aspects of the Parzudaki enterprise, indicating at least some travelling and collecting activities of Charles Parzudaki beyond Europe.

KEYWORDS: history of ornithology – bird collections – egg collections – oology – Alexander Koenig – Charles Parzudaki – Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig – natural history dealers.

Thus (after having read Dr Töpfer's Paper in full), it does seem like (at least) Charles traveled ("beyond Europe", incl. Egypt).

Enjoy!

Björn

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back