Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Unidentified larvae

Old Thursday 20th September 2018, 14:16   #1
coaltit

Unidentified larvae

There was either a moth larvae or perhaps even saw fly larvae (not seen) but had been present munching away of all plants a zygo cactus or christmas cactus thou I think this one flowers in november, the droppings were scattered around the cactus and was active for a while something I,ve never witnessed with cacti before, the droppings looked similar to ones from around basil plants I had growing Indoors this summer and also traces of silk (cocoon) in basil leaves and cacti Infact I did trace the larvae from the basil plants which were chewing away the leaves luckily ones passed their prime to eat, I would be greatful if perhaps someone could throw some light on to this subject for me.
Old Thursday 20th September 2018, 17:44   #2
honeym

I seem to recall that Light Brown Apple moth (Epiphyas postvittana) and Carnation tprtrix (Cacoecimorpha pronubana) have both been recorded feeding on this species.
Old Thursday 20th September 2018, 22:34   #3
coaltit

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
I seem to recall that Light Brown Apple moth (Epiphyas postvittana) and Carnation tprtrix (Cacoecimorpha pronubana) have both been recorded feeding on this species.
Thankyou for the Information.
Old Friday 21st September 2018, 14:40   #4
coaltit

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltit View Post
Thankyou for the Information.
I would just like to add the culprit here is the light brown apple moth I just found two larvae on my zygo cactus, it says it flies in two generations may and october, so presumably these larvae are from eggs laid back in may/june time, it feeds on over 2,000 different plants and is one of the most (catholic polyphages) in britain (wide diversity of plants) and was probabily Introduced here by accident into cornwall in the 1930,s where its quickly spread northward I,ve seen a number of pest species in the garden just another one to the list..:( well hopefully none have survived after my Intervention this time round they caused quite a stir in america in california back in 2008/9 period on how to deal with the moth and health complications by spraying large areas which was eventually cancelled by the government there thou a lot of it was money based.
Old Tuesday 25th September 2018, 13:47   #5
coaltit

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltit View Post
I would just like to add the culprit here is the light brown apple moth I just found two larvae on my zygo cactus, it says it flies in two generations may and october, so presumably these larvae are from eggs laid back in may/june time, it feeds on over 2,000 different plants and is one of the most (catholic polyphages) in britain (wide diversity of plants) and was probabily Introduced here by accident into cornwall in the 1930,s where its quickly spread northward I,ve seen a number of pest species in the garden just another one to the list..:( well hopefully none have survived after my Intervention this time round they caused quite a stir in america in california back in 2008/9 period on how to deal with the moth and health complications by spraying large areas which was eventually cancelled by the government there thou a lot of it was money based.
I,ve just dealt with two more larvae on my zygo cactus they had soon started munching the leaves away and I find them by their droppings below they were inside a small pocket of silk they had spun I,m hopeing this is the last of them when I sorted the last larvae out there was no sign of others they can soon damage plants in no time.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: