• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift nest boxes on house being sold (1 Viewer)

blue jack

Hello! We have 4 swift nest boxes on our house of which at least two have used to breed in successfully by swift pairs. We want to move/sell our property but am worried any future owner may take these boxes down. Does any one know if there is a legal clause I can put down that says that any future owner cannot take them down? Any help with this would be appreciated
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981 it is an offence to intentionally take, damage or destroy a wild bird’s nest while it’s being used or built. Preventing a nest box from removal at any other time would be difficult to enforce I would suggest.

I know here in the States you cannot disturb an active nesting bird or its nest but I don't know if there are any laws concerning empty nest boxes, here or in your Country. Hopefully someone from your side of the pond will have some answers for you.

In the meantime, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Obviously you don't want to jeopardise a sale, but find out from the potential new owners if they are likely to keep them up. Also find out if any of your neighbours want the boxes and offer to donate them/put them up perhaps. If you don't know your neighbours that well, maybe even go door-knocking, you never know...

Don't know the facts of how far Swifts look for nests but presumably they would be good at looking in the immediate vicinity. There's also a Swift nesting website I've come across before, may be able to help.

Edit: probably this one: https://www.swift-conservation.org/

Last edited:
It may be possible to achieve this by creating a restrictive covenant, but you would obviously need to obtain legal advice.

Hi,

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981 it is an offence to intentionally take, damage or destroy a wild bird’s nest while it’s being used or built. Preventing a nest box from removal at any other time would be difficult to enforce I would suggest.

Is there no law protecting the nests of dedicated "structure breeders" off-season? We have one in Germany, and I'd think that as it's based on EU law, there might be an equivalent in the UK.

Other than that, I guess it might be worth a try to talk to local bird preservation people. They might also have advice on how to best "sell" the swifts to new owners, as I'm sure this is a recurring challenge.

Regards,

Henning

Thanks all for your replies. I'm sure there must be an agreement that can put in place between my self and any new owner, especially if it has been described in the sale particulars. I can't bare the thought of the nests being taken down. I will seek legal advice from a conveyancing solicitor.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back