Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon 7 / 8 x 42 EDG experiences sought

Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 15:32   #1
SeldomPerched

Nikon 7 / 8 x 42 EDG experiences sought

This is an unashamedly 'armchair interest' posting,as I don't actually need any more binoculars and have 7 and 8x examples from European companies that do all I could possibly want.

But it's interesting to learn about other marques and I have used Nikon cameras for years. (They have turned out to be the most consistently reliable too -- the ones I'd take anywhere without fear of their letting me down.)

I see on Nikon UK's site that 7x and 8x 42 EDG closed bridge models are still available (as is 10x but I can't hold tens steady enough) and the prices are certainly well inside the borders of Territory Alpha.

The properties and pros and cons of 7 vs. 8 powers are familiar to me. All I am wondering is how they compare optically, whether they are very similar in their characteristics, how people find the field flattening effect on EDGs, colour saturation, colour balance, etc. Ergonomics I have an idea of having held a pair of 8x EDGs a while back but not having had time to try them out properly. So the picture effect is my primary concern, and then perhaps durability/longevity.

As said, too much of an armchair query but I would love to know more than the manufacturer's blurb, and also how the two mentioned compare with each other. The pair I held seemed very solid and I did like the opportunity to use winged eyecups.

Many thanks,
Tom

Don't make them sound so great I have to buy them after all... ... ;-)
Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 19:26   #2
Canip

The 42 EDGs - 7x, 8x or 10x - can safely be called „premium material“ in my view.

Here is a brief „armchair response“ (meaning as lazy as can be) to an armchair query

In 2015, I did a comparative review of the premium market of binoculars:
https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,426194 (sorry, all in German unfortunately)

and concluded by saying very briefly:

„- If you are looking for the widest field of view and excellent ergonomics, choose the SF
- If you want the sharpest possible image, both on and off axis, choose the EL SV
- If you are looking for the best straylight suppression and a compact format, choose the EDG
- The best center-sharpness / brightness and solid handling can be found in the HT
- If you are looking for proven mechanics and nice color saturated image, choose the HD Plus.“

I think choosing a premium bino has often more to do with personal preferences than with real substantial performance differences.

The EDG is the „oldest“ among the current top binoculars, and it doesn’t look as if Nikon is going to do an update anytime soon, but still today, the EDG doesn‘t have to hide from its newer competitors.

Details under the link mentioned above.

Just my 2 ct.

Canip
Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 20:37   #3
SeldomPerched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post
The 42 EDGs - 7x, 8x or 10x - can safely be called „premium material“ in my view.

Here is a brief „armchair response“ (meaning as lazy as can be) to an armchair query

In 2015, I did a comparative review of the premium market of binoculars:
https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,426194 (sorry, all in German unfortunately)

and concluded by saying very briefly:

„- If you are looking for the widest field of view and excellent ergonomics, choose the SF
- If you want the sharpest possible image, both on and off axis, choose the EL SV
- If you are looking for the best straylight suppression and a compact format, choose the EDG
- The best center-sharpness / brightness and solid handling can be found in the HT
- If you are looking for proven mechanics and nice color saturated image, choose the HD Plus.“

I think choosing a premium bino has often more to do with personal preferences than with real substantial performance differences.

The EDG is the „oldest“ among the current top binoculars, and it doesn’t look as if Nikon is going to do an update anytime soon, but still today, the EDG doesn‘t have to hide from its newer competitors.

Details under the link mentioned above.

Just my 2 ct.

Canip
Dear Pinac/Canip,

Thank you for directing me to your review; luckily I can read German quite well and for the few words that are unfamiliar I still have an excellent Collins dictionary to hand. An enjoyable read and conclusions that sound about right to me from my limited experience.

Did you have a chance at any time to compare the EDG 7x with the 8x?

Best wishes,

Tom
Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 21:51   #4
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

In my brief usage of the EDG 10X42, I disliked the distinct warm [reddish] colour bias.
Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 23:54   #5
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
In my brief usage of the EDG 10X42, I disliked the distinct warm [reddish] colour bias.
James:

You are just used to the design of the Zeiss, high transmission, that means more use of the blue spectrum.

Nikon has done things very well in the EDG models, neutral color presentation and the quality of the flat field view is without flaw.

I have owned the 10x42 since they were first introduced. I would not
hesitate either the 7 or 8x42.

Jerry
Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 00:14   #6
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

I agree with Canip above...great explanation.

I'm not sure there is a better binocular that does more things right than the EDG. Field is among the flattest. EXCELLENT ergonomics. Nice relatively compact package. Color is as neutral to me as it can get. Very much a "walk in" image presentation. It's my go to "reference" binocular. I'd use it a lot more if I didn't have others I like as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3675.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	686311  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0047.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	686312  

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 00:17   #7
ceasar

Compare the Allbinos transmission graph of the Swarovision 8.5x42

https://www.allbinos.com/251-binocul...arovision.html

With Allbinos transmission graph of the EDG 8x42

https://www.allbinos.com/224-binocul..._8x42_EDG.html

Allbinos ranks the 2 binoculars 1st and 2nd among 8x42 binoculars.

Personally I wouldn't complain if I owned either one of them.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 01:20   #8
Patudo

I've only looked through the 10x model at Birdfair a couple years back. Build quality/mechanicals appeared very good, especially focus feel (for which it has been widely praised). Optically, comparable to the other top alphas in sharpness, ease of view etc., but - to my eyes anyway - not as bright. I'm sure the light transmission figures are in the same ball park as the other top makers, so this may be due to Nikon favouring the red spectrum or (as has been commented upon) Swarovski for instance not baffling their binoculars to the same degree. In any case if you have an 8x42 HT it's unlikely the equivalent EDG will impress you enough to shell out for it, and if you have the 7x42 Dialyt, P model, I think ditto. Nikon does sell binoculars to a worldwide market of course and I think in brighter climes than north-western Europe the highest degree of perceived brightness may likely be less important and the excellent baffling/interior blackening come into its own.
Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 13:23   #9
Canip

Tom (post #3),

You are asking about the 7x vs 8x.
Patudo (post #8) mentions an interesting aspect in this respect: brightness.

I have not directly compared the 7x to the 8x, but, as mentioned, I compared the EDG 8x42 to the other premium 8x42s.

Separately, I have several times compared the EDG 7x42 with two other top 7x42s, the Zeiss FL and the Leica HD Plus (no detailed tests, just brief side by side reviews). And there, I got the clear impression that the EDG lacks the brightness of either the Victory or the Ultravid.

Otherwise, the image is everything you could wish for, but in terms of image brightness, the 7x EDG in my eyes is a clear number 3 behind its two competitors. The difference isn‘t huge, but a certain „lack of brilliance“ struck me each time.
I never got a similar impression with the 8x EDG.

In light of Patudo‘s post, it will be interesting to see how the 10x EDG fares against the same size European top brands.

Canip
Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 14:23   #10
dries1

I have the 8X32, 8X42 and 10X42 EDGs, and when I use them outside they provide me with some great views, I never say boy I wish these were a lot brighter. I would think the 7X42 would also provide some great views also. As previously stated at this level, personal preferences matter most, different folks .....The only way to really answer this question is personal, and to try the glass for oneself.
If one wants a bright glass, get a premium 8X56.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 18:32   #11
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
James:

You are just used to the design of the Zeiss, high transmission, that means more use of the blue spectrum.

Nikon has done things very well in the EDG models, neutral color presentation and the quality of the flat field view is without flaw.

I have owned the 10x42 since they were first introduced. I would not
hesitate either the 7 or 8x42.

Jerry
No, compared to the very neutral HT, warm [reddish] bias was clear. Not to disparage the EDG [which is excellent] but clean whites and completely neutral colours are important to me.
Old Saturday 23rd March 2019, 15:23   #12
SeldomPerched

Quote:
No, compared to the very neutral HT, warm [reddish] bias was clear. Not to disparage the EDG [which is excellent] but clean whites and completely neutral colours are important to me.
As always thank you all for the variety of feedback on colour, brightness, and everything else. I now have a good idea how the Nikon EDGs fit in with the other makes and don't feel an urge to get a pair -- as said I really don't need them, in any size -- but I loved the focus, build quality, and ergonomics of the EDG 8x42 they had secondhand in the shop.

Tom
Old Saturday 23rd March 2019, 15:26   #13
SeldomPerched

Quote:
I am happy with a reddish Leica-style bias but know what you mean about the HT, James, having been lucky enough to buy one from Lee last year. It has great handling as well; it's a definite keeper.

Tom
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: